Snooker

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Snooker

Post by PeteC »

Watching the recent Irish and British snooker championships it seems that the girl attending the table, placing the balls and announcing the score number is never in sync with the score displayed on the screen. Is she counting something different than the total running match score? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Snooker

Post by dtaai-maai »

If I understand you correctly...

The referee calls the score for the break in progress rather than the total score for the frame. So each time the player goes to the table, the break score is zero even if the player's total score for the frame so far is (for example) 53.
This is the way
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Got it, thanks. I knew there had to be a difference. I didn't know she went back to zero. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

You have to watch this. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D Pete :cheers:

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The trial and error associated with the above before it was perfected took weeks I would imagine.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Someone had way to much time on their hands
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

prcscct wrote:The trial and error associated with the above before it was perfected took weeks I would imagine.
Apparently it took 11 hours Pete.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Dannie Boy wrote:
prcscct wrote:The trial and error associated with the above before it was perfected took weeks I would imagine.
Apparently it took 11 hours Pete.
It would have taken me weeks...maybe years! :laugh: The thing to know is how many trials before perfected. A lot I think. :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

World Championship 2017: Mark Selby will play John Higgins in final

"English world number one Selby reached the showpiece for the third time in four years by holding off Ding Junhui 17-15 in a gripping encounter.

And Scotland's Higgins joined him by winning the solitary frame of the final session to beat Barry Hawkins 17-8."....

http://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/39754894
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Tour Championship: Ronnie O'Sullivan beats Neil Robertson to become world number one

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/47688509

Ronnie O'Sullivan became world number one for the first time since 2010 by edging a thrilling Tour Championship final against Neil Robertson.

O'Sullivan led 5-3 overnight in Llandudno but Robertson had the better of Sunday's first session to reach 8-8.

He levelled again at 10-10 but never led and an 89 saw O'Sullivan win 13-11.

"To get to number one probably playing half the events some other guys do is probably one of the best achievements across sports," said O'Sullivan.

"I've never been driven by number one as if I was I'd probably enter a few more tournaments," added O'Sullivan, who overtakes Mark Selby at the top of the world rankings."

O'Sullivan's success also sees him tie with Stephen Hendry's record of 36 ranking titles.

'The Rocket' could surpass the mark at the World Championships in Sheffield, which begin on 20 April.

"Congratulations to Neil - him and Judd Trump have been the two best this season along with myself," he added. "If one of us doesn't win the World Championship I'll be surprised."

Earlier in March, O'Sullivan became the first man to reach 1,000 career centuries when he sealed a 10-4 win over Australia's Robertson in the Players Championship final.

They both won a session 5-3 to go into the final session in Llandudno at 8-8, and O'Sullivan signalled his intent with a 129 to edge ahead.

He looked was on the verge of victory at 12-10 but Robertson dug out a break of 56 to prolong matters until O'Sullivan produced an 89 before saluting the a jubilant crowd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

O'Sullivan is always there year in and year out. He's the Valentino Rossi of the Snooker world. I hope he takes this one as well.

World Snooker Championship 2022: Ronnie O'Sullivan books final place against Judd Trump

https://www.bbc.com/sport/snooker/61279853

2022 Betfred World Championship
Venue: Crucible Theatre, Sheffield Dates: 16 April-2 May
Coverage: Watch live on BBC TV and Red Button with uninterrupted coverage on BBC iPlayer, the BBC Sport website and the BBC Sport app

Ronnie O'Sullivan claimed a comfortable 17-11 win over John Higgins to book his place in the World Championship final against Judd Trump.

Six-time champion O'Sullivan, 46, becomes the oldest finalist since Ray Reardon reached the 1982 final aged 49.

Resuming 15-9 ahead, the world number one won two of the evening's first four frames to seal his win.

Earlier on Saturday, 2019 winner Trump withstood a Mark Williams fightback to win a final-frame decider 17-16.

While that match was a nerve-shredding affair, O'Sullivan's progression to an eighth Crucible final was relatively routine against a below-par Higgins.

A break of 67 put him on the cusp of victory after four-time champion Higgins took the opening frame with a run of 69.

However, the Scot was always up against it after under performing for huge parts of the match and while he further reduced his arrears to 16-11, 'the Rocket' confirmed his win with an 83 before the scheduled mid-session interval.

O'Sullivan has won six of his seven finals and will now attempt to equal Stephen Hendry's coveted record of seven titles in the modern era.

"I knew I had to keep my rhythm and flow and play what I think is the type of snooker you need to win tournaments. In this modern day you have to grab the game by the scruff of the neck," O'Sullivan told BBC Sport.

"I decided at 3-0 down I had no rhythm so I just wanted to keep my pace."
Trump prevents remarkable Williams recovery

Trailing 12-5 on Friday, three-time champion Williams almost staged the biggest ever Crucible semi-final comeback as he reeled off 11 of the next 14 frames to establish a 16-15 lead against Trump.

Williams had been playing catch-up since a dismal opening session saw him fall 7-1 behind.

But an exhilarating display of potting brought him back into the contest, as he concluded on Friday evening just two frames behind at 13-11.

And that shift of momentum was evident as play resumed on Saturday, with Trump benefitting from two cross doubles in the final frame to triumph.

"There were so many emotions going through that game," Trump told BBC Sport.

"I knew he would fight back at some point but he [Mark Williams] played unbelievable and I was just sat there. It made it easier for me to take because I was not doing much wrong.

"I was actually enjoying watching him and he was incredible. I was praying he was going to make some mistakes and I had all my luck in the last frame. For two of them [cross doubles] to go your way you know it is your day."

Roared on by a packed auditorium a superb swerve shot and run of 59 saw Williams reduce the deficit to one frame before levelling the match with a wonderful 137.

The players then traded frames as Williams made it 15-15 with his 16th century of the Championship, a 138, equalling Stephen Hendry's 20-year record for the number of tons made by a player in a single year at the Crucible.

When Williams won a tense tactical exchange on the blue he edged ahead for the first time in the contest and appeared to be set to record the second biggest turnaround in Crucible history after Dennis Taylor's famous revival from 8-0 down to win the 1985 final against Steve Davis.

To his credit, Trump exhibited all of the the talent and resilience that has carried him to 23 ranking titles and helped him win all three 'Triple Crown' events to win the penultimate frame.

And a dramatic finale, saw Williams fluke a red after being snookered but miss a tough blue, with Trump stepping in to make 49 before missing a simple red with the rest.

But when Williams broke down on 25 points, Trump potted two astonishing cross doubles and another difficult red to leave the 47-year-old needing three-four point snookers - a feat even he could not accomplish.

"The crowd were on their feet when I was coming back from the toilet and for the first time it sounded like I had 80% of the support which is very rare against Judd because he is the most popular player," Williams said.

"It looked like he was going to run away with it but I stuck in there and got back to 16-15 in front. But every credit to him, there is no question he can win it."

O'Sullivan goes through the gears

O'Sullivan's task on Saturday evening was made all the easier after establishing such a commanding lead.

Trailing 10-6, Higgins won the first frame of the day but was unable to apply any serious pressure on his 'Class of 92' adversary despite registering his first century of the match.

O'Sullivan played with greater rhythm and poise, compiling breaks of 82, 101, 121 and a superb 134 to extend his lead.

It was another brilliant performance from O'Sullivan, who has compiled a dozen centuries at this year's tournament although he was aided considerably by a toiling Higgins.

The Scot, who has laboured throughout the match, briefly found his touch with a wonderful run of 103 to eclipse his previous highest break in the match of 58.

But he then expressed his frustration by slamming his cue into the floor after missing a long red in the 22nd frame.

The miss came after he had failed with a relatively easy red to the right middle in the previous frame, gifting it to an on-song O'Sullivan, who made the 100th century of this year's tournament.

"The way I was hitting the ball the last couple of days there was no way I was coming back but Ronnie was lethal," Higgins said.

"I don't think I could count if he missed when he was in among the balls but I was really poor. Against someone like Ronnie you cannot win by just scrapping."

In contrast the 'Rocket' rarely looked like missing once among the balls and provided a precursor of what was to follow by exhibiting exemplary cue-ball control when winning his first frame of the day - the pattern continuing as he pressed on to victory.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:32 am O'Sullivan is always there year in and year out. He's the Valentino Rossi of the Snooker world. I hope he takes this one as well.
Class player undoubtedly - far from a class person however.

Personally (and obviously very biased), I was rooting for Mark Williams - unfortunately he lost out 17-16 to Judd Trump in the semi's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/snooker/61287474

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

pharvey wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 7:16 am
PeteC wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:32 am O'Sullivan is always there year in and year out. He's the Valentino Rossi of the Snooker world. I hope he takes this one as well.
Class player undoubtedly - far from a class person however.

Personally (and obviously very biased), I was rooting for Mark Williams - unfortunately he lost out 17-16 to Judd Trump in the semi's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/snooker/61287474

:cheers: :cheers:
His forearm tattoos threw off his stroke.

Sullivan not a "class person?" I guess that excludes him from sainthood. :shock:

Although, in an interview, he said, "As long as my stroke is working, I'll have a good time." Can't fault a man for that. Maybe that's why there's never a woman umpire in the finals. :naughty:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ton discussion moved here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40638
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Quite interesting how a thread can change from the original post. Happens all the time when I decide to google something and finish up looking at various other things having forgotten what my original query was!!

Anyway back to snooker with Sullivan leading 2 games to 1.