2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

lomuamart

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by lomuamart »

BB, having just got back from the UK, it seemed to me that a lot of potential fans were put off going to Russia because of perceived football violence and political turmoil.
As said, that's just a general feeling I got from watching the news and so on rather than basing it on football punditry.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

36817654_10160377684305618_7084319920757932032_n.jpg
36817654_10160377684305618_7084319920757932032_n.jpg (41.17 KiB) Viewed 262 times
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Strange. in the beginning, I used to walk around Market Village wearing 3 Lions on my shirt. I used to see a lot of Germany and Brazil shirts. One shop actually had their entire staff wearing Germany shirts. I was the only one with 3 Lions.

This morning, I was still proudly sporting my 3 Lions, and was pleased to note I was no longer alone.

Long gone are the German and Brazil shirts. Biggest shock was I didn't see a single Croatia, France or Belgian shirt - I guess they'll appear in the unlikely event one of them actually achieves success.

Points 48; Position 20
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 pm Strange. in the beginning, I used to walk around Market Village wearing 3 Lions on my shirt. I used to see a lot of Germany and Brazil shirts. One shop actually had their entire staff wearing Germany shirts. I was the only one with 3 Lions.

This morning, I was still proudly sporting my 3 Lions, and was pleased to note I was no longer alone.

Long gone are the German and Brazil shirts. Biggest shock was I didn't see a single Croatia, France or Belgian shirt - I guess they'll appear in the unlikely event one of them actually achieves success.
:lach:
I do admire your patriotic optimism. :D :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

If the dream ends on Wednesday England`s team have beaten all expectations and will return home to an enthusiastic welcome, unlike other teams who have faced death threats and criticism. I have read comments in response to match reports and some folk (mainly Scots) are extremely disappointed at England`s progress. Come on England, give them something to be really bitter about.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

arcadianagain wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:36 pm If the dream ends on Wednesday England`s team have beaten all expectations and will return home to an enthusiastic welcome, unlike other teams who have faced death threats and criticism. I have read comments in response to match reports and some folk (mainly Scots) are extremely disappointed at England`s progress. Come on England, give them something to be really bitter about.
Fair comment, and I'm as happy as anyone, but let's be honest, we're in the semi finals of the world cup having not played a decent team yet. :shock:
I know you can only beat what's in front of you but have you ever seen a WC with such an easy passage through to the last four? :shock:

If we go toe to toe in an open game with Croatia, we'll get dismantled like Argentina did.
The expectations are off the scale now, typical England style, a victory is almost expected. :roll: :mrgreen:

I hope the coaching staff are analysing the Denmark and Russian tactics v Croatia, though they don't really suit us.
I think it will be another penalty shoot out on weds and I wouldn't be surprised if the other tie is too.

My heart say England but my head says . . . . . a Croatia v Belgium final. :cheers: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Personally, I think the tournament has been disappointing. We haven't played a decent team because I haven't seen one. I've watched quite a few games, and nobody has impressed me. IMHO the Latin Americans and Africans should be punished for what they brought to the tournament.

Mbappe impressed me in the Round of 16, but that is about it.

England are as good as any of the teams who are left e.g. if you took it down to club level, how many of the Croatian players would replace the England players? Southgate is also creating belief behind the scenes.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Even Del Boy is getting in on the act!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Did nobody else believe?
park.jpg
park.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 208 times

Points 48; Position 20
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

redzonerocker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:18 pm
Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 pm Strange. in the beginning, I used to walk around Market Village wearing 3 Lions on my shirt. I used to see a lot of Germany and Brazil shirts. One shop actually had their entire staff wearing Germany shirts. I was the only one with 3 Lions.

:lach:
I do admire your patriotic optimism. :D :cheers: :cheers:
redzonerocker wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:55 pm My heart say England but my head says . . . . . a Croatia v Belgium final. :cheers: :cheers:
I prefer BB's patriotic optimism to yours.
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:18 pm

England are as good as any of the teams who are left e.g. if you took it down to club level, how many of the Croatian players would replace the England players? Southgate is also creating belief behind the scenes.
There are a few England players that can't even command a regular starting place at their clubs.
How many England players would get into the current France or Belgium teams?

You're basing your argument on performances against some pretty weak opposition.
But lets not get into a petty argument about who can play what and where, it's all just opinions.
Beat Croatia weds and then win the final v France or Belgium and I'll be celebrating with the best of them. :cheers:

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:15 am I prefer BB's patriotic optimism to yours.
Me too, and I most definitely hope he's right and I'm wrong. :wink: :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

redzonerocker wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 am There are a few England players that can't even command a regular starting place at their clubs.
You've baffled me with that statement. While my passion is well below Premiership level, I can't think any of the England WC team, which is fairly well known by now, who don't feature regularly for their club. You'll have to help me with that one please.

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Two players I can think of, are Marcus Rashford and Danny Welbeck - I’m sure there will be a few others who didn’t start much more than 50% of games.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Fringe players, reserve team, etc., etc. They may start in the unlikely event England don't beat Croatia in the loser's final. They are not part of the England team at the moment.

Points 48; Position 20