2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by handdrummer »

Ronaldo is just trying to recoup his delinquent tax payment. But then, that should take only 7 months of eating just spaghetti and pizza. This morning I shed 2 tears for him. To quote Billie Holiday's mom, "2 tears in a bucket, mother f*** it!"
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

What a downer, nasty Croatians.

ALLEZ LES BLEUS.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Onward and upwards boys. You have a good national team coach and I hope he stays around and does more. As for all of us, the Premier League first match is only 30 days away. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

I'm not a big soccer fan, but I do try and watch the World Cup. I watched the game this morning and I think the better and clearly more experienced team won. I thought the on-field leadership from England was poor, especially in the second period. Overall it's been a pretty poor tournament, like a friend of mine said, " they should go straight into the overtime and then penalties, that's the most fun"
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Even as an England fan I have to admit that the best team overall won last night. Of course if we had put one of the chances away to make it 2-0 it might have been a different outcome, but we didn’t and that’s what football is about. Hopefully in 2 and 4 years time, England will reach a football final, then we can really shout “it’s coming home”.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

For me, it's been an exceptional tournament, even though many teams under-performed - I've enjoyed it.

I'd never realised before what a bunch of cheats Africans and Latin American players were. However, they have a huge influence on Thai football, and it has helped me to understand Thai football a lot better.

It was good to see 4 footballing nations in the semi-final. Croatia's fight and determination did impress me, and are my favourites for the trophy now. I won't even bother watching the loser's final - it won't be England's 1st XI, and doubt it will be Belgium's either.

England have a few youngsters that give us hope for the future. All we need now is a prolific goalscorer who can hit the net against top opposition.

Well done Russia for providing a good tournament.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yes, England did better than expected, but ran out of steam. Our biggest failing for me, has been the final ball, thus turning dominating games into actual shots on goal. We allow teams back into the game and that has been a problem all tournament. Everyone has been raving about Sterling's last couple of games, but his final ball (and decision making) has been awful. Also, I'm struggling to understand why Southgate didn't bolster the midfield when it was obvious Croatia were getting the upper hand and Modric was suddenly finding space. But maybe he felt he didn't have the options available to do that?
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:23 pm Yes, England did better than expected, but ran out of steam. Our biggest failing for me, has been the final ball, thus turning dominating games into actual shots on goal. We allow teams back into the game and that has been a problem all tournament. Everyone has been raving about Sterling's last couple of games, but his final ball (and decision making) has been awful. Also, I'm struggling to understand why Southgate didn't bolster the midfield when it was obvious Croatia were getting the upper hand and Modric was suddenly finding space. But maybe he felt he didn't have the options available to do that?
I think I agree with everything you say caller, Sterling was a constant threat in terms of his pace, but when it comes to shots on target or game-changing passes, he has been woefully lacking. I think the point you make about the midfield needing an injection of something is fair - maybe with Lingard and Dele Ali labouring, somebody like Loftus-Cheek would have been worth a try.

Back to the point made by B.B. about England needing a goal scorer, the fact remains that despite missing a relatively easy chance last night, Kane remains top scorer of the tournament and could easily win the Golden Boot award, so maybe it’s a creative midfielder that is more in need!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Kane scored a bucketful of penalties and a fluke. When the opposition stopped cheating, Kane stopped scoring. IMHO the guy always has been, and always will be a liability.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:Kane scored a bucketful of penalties and a fluke. When the opposition stopped cheating, Kane stopped scoring. IMHO the guy always has been, and always will be a liability.
We’ll have to agree to disagree then - not that I’m praising his skills above all others, but in terms of goals in the EPL, he is at or near the top over the past 2-3 years, so I wouldn’t consider that as a liability - if there was another England forward with an equal record, I’d be banging the drum for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's OK Dannie, I know I'm in the wilderness about my views of Kane. However, outside of his penalty taking, or all-in wrestling bouts, can you name one memorable Kane moment from this World Cup? I can't.

I'm not saying he's not the best we've got, what I'm saying is his best is not good enough.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:That's OK Dannie, I know I'm in the wilderness about my views of Kane. However, outside of his penalty taking, or all-in wrestling bouts, can you name one memorable Kane moment from this World Cup? I can't.

I'm not saying he's not the best we've got, what I'm saying is his best is not good enough.
Well he scored a header in the first (or was it the second) game which wasn’t bad.

Agreed, that in this tournament he hasn’t looked particularly special, but we have seen a number of players (including Messi) miss penalties, so we shouldn’t deride that as a skill, especially baring in mind the intimidatory tactics employed by the opposition.

In the absence of anybody better, you have to settle for the best at your disposal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I was waiting to see the news that after the match the English fan stayed and cleaned the stadium just like the Japanese did. Have not found that piece of news. :wink:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have to say, even as a Welshman I'm disappointed England didn't get through to the Final. As most have said, I think the better/more experienced team won on the night though. As an "occasional armchair fan" i.e. the big tournaments, I enjoyed what I managed to see of this World Cup. I also think this England squad will go onto bigger and better things - let's be fair I don't think too many thought they would get out of the group stages, let alone reach the semi's.

As for Kane, I personally think he played well up to this last match. He's missed a fairly straight forward chance IMHO and admittedly a more difficult header. I also thought he was "muscled out" of the game at times - illegally or legally is open for debate (the ref I thought missed a few "debatable" tackles). The Croats certainly played a physical game.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm I was waiting to see the news that after the match the English fan stayed and cleaned the stadium just like the Japanese did. Have not found that piece of news. :wink:
You'll be searching for a while me-thinks......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.