2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by handdrummer »

Maybe Croatia thought they were playing Serbia and the war was still on. They're really vicious players. It doesn't seem like football is football anymore. Nearly as bad as US gridiron. Fortunately I fell asleep 2 min. before the end of the first half so I wasn't disappointed until I read the sports news today. Best play in the firs half was England's penalty kick. That was gorgeous; over the head of the goal keeper and just under the bar. Too bad abut about Kane's mistake later. All he had to do was push the ball around the corner of the post instead of trying to kick it in and the easy missed goal from the right side with no one defending. Don't remember who that was. Well, better luck next time. I'll skip the final, don't really care who wins and 90 mins. of defense holds no interest.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm Maybe Croatia thought they were playing Serbia and the war was still on. They're really vicious players. It doesn't seem like football is football anymore. Nearly as bad as US gridiron. Fortunately I fell asleep 2 min. before the end of the first half so I wasn't disappointed until I read the sports news today. Best play in the firs half was England's penalty kick. That was gorgeous; over the head of the goal keeper and just under the bar. Too bad abut about Kane's mistake later. All he had to do was push the ball around the corner of the post instead of trying to kick it in and the easy missed goal from the right side with no one defending. Don't remember who that was. Well, better luck next time. I'll skip the final, don't really care who wins and 90 mins. of defense holds no interest.
I'm sure if I tried to write about the NFL or whatever it's called, it would make about as much sense as what you have just written! :D
Talk is cheap
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

caller wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:00 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:16 pm Maybe Croatia thought they were playing Serbia and the war was still on. They're really vicious players. It doesn't seem like football is football anymore. Nearly as bad as US gridiron. Fortunately I fell asleep 2 min. before the end of the first half so I wasn't disappointed until I read the sports news today. Best play in the firs half was England's penalty kick. That was gorgeous; over the head of the goal keeper and just under the bar. Too bad abut about Kane's mistake later. All he had to do was push the ball around the corner of the post instead of trying to kick it in and the easy missed goal from the right side with no one defending. Don't remember who that was. Well, better luck next time. I'll skip the final, don't really care who wins and 90 mins. of defense holds no interest.
I'm sure if I tried to write about the NFL or whatever it's called, it would make about as much sense as what you have just written! :D
Maybe you watched a different game, or cant figure out what a post is or is it the word goal that is confusing you or maybe bar is a problem for you? :cheers: (As in bar)
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

I thought we played well first half, controlled the game and looked dangerous.
Second half was the complete opposite, what happened or was said in the half time team talk? :shock:
Where was the tactical nous when things weren't going to plan second half? . . . . . . . trying to change it with the same old predictable substitutions. :roll: :?

My opinion is we have quite a few overrated and average players and we are definitely lacking in the flair and creative department.
To many like for like players and not enough variety.
A few plus points though with Pickford, McGuire and Stones showing up well.

Credit where it's due, Croatia stepped it up second half and to be fair we were lucky to get to extra time.
Hope they go on and win it now. :cheers: :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I was interested in the debate about Sterling. People fell into two camps, he was good at making defences work hard and pulling them here and there and was therefore doing well, or his distribution and decision making were crap. I think he did both, the problem for me is that the 2nd one takes precedent over the first.

I think we all have to be honest in that we all got a bit carried away. I certainly thought we had the ability to beat Croatia.

I know we did better than expected and I do believe there is now something to build on, especially with the younger England squads now routinely winning tournaments of getting to finals and some of those players are already coming through, notably Phil Foden at Man City, who is only 18 and getting more and more involved in the first team.

But, but, but and I know this seems like Heresy, but I'm still not convinced about Southgate for the longer term. I hope I am proved wrong.
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

caller wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:49 pm I was interested in the debate about Sterling. People fell into two camps, he was good at making defences work hard and pulling them here and there and was therefore doing well, or his distribution and decision making were crap. I think he did both, the problem for me is that the 2nd one takes precedent over the first.
He's definitely a marmite player. :D
Personally i don't think he's progressed much since he left Liverpool.
He looked a lot better player then.
I think we all have to be honest in that we all got a bit carried away. I certainly thought we had the ability to beat Croatia.
I certainly didn't and was accused of not being patriotic etc etc . . . . . . I just didn't buy into all the hype, as much as I wanted to win.
I know we did better than expected and I do believe there is now something to build on, especially with the younger England squads now routinely winning tournaments of getting to finals and some of those players are already coming through, notably Phil Foden at Man City, who is only 18 and getting more and more involved in the first team.

But, but, but and I know this seems like Heresy, but I'm still not convinced about Southgate for the longer term. I hope I am proved wrong.
Not convinced either and we need a few creative and flair players if we want to compete and break down the better sides.
Did you know that 8 players involved v Croatia were also involved in the defeat v Iceland at the 2016 euros. :shock:
That's not a great stat. :?
JWWhite
Professional
Professional

Post by JWWhite »

A 4 min goal and an 82 min goal gave Belgium the victory and third place
England were on top for most of the second half but their captain was MIA again. Belgium were a lot sharper in the final third.
MY in BS full of BS.
“When people learn no tools of judgment and merely follow their hopes, the seeds of political manipulation are sown.” Stephen Jay Gould
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I could only garner enthusiasm to watch the first half and despite a bit of huff and puff England didn’t look very menacing. Kane had one good chance to add to his goal tally but spurned the chance (again) and as for Sterling, based on his last few performances he really shouldn’t be in the England team as he gave the ball away so many times it was embarrassing and predictable.

Although I agree that there are signs of overall improvement, the team desperately need a couple of decent creative midfielders (think of Hazard and De Bruyne for Belgium) before they’re ready to take on the best in the world - and as I’m sure B.B. would chip in, a top class goal scorer wouldn’t go amiss. Defensive wise, we have a good solid foundation except for the left back position - Young is too old and Rose is not consistent enough, he loses the ball too many times in his efforts to get forward and that exposes the defense.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My World Cup ended in the early hours of Thursday morning - I had absolutely no interest in the losers final. No sour grapes - there were 31 losers and just 1 winner.

Onwards and upwards - looking forward to the UEFA International League now - The rejuvenation of national team football.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

redzonerocker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 pm Credit where it's due, Croatia stepped it up second half and to be fair we were lucky to get to extra time.
I don't mean to be picky, but... :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

redzonerocker wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:04 pm Credit where it's due, Croatia stepped it up second half and to be fair we were lucky to get to extra time.
dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:44 pm I don't mean to be picky, but... :laugh: :laugh:
Not with you? have a missed something? :? badly worded?
Did it sound a bit biased because I've got an e/w winning bet still running into the final. :wink:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Extra time? I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw we lost 2-0 after 90 minutes!
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:24 pm Extra time? I don't know which game you watched, but in the one I saw we lost 2-0 after 90 minutes!
So we lost 2-0 to croatia in 90 mins . . . :shock:
Did they strike off Trippier's first half free kick off?
Was Mandzukic's winner in the 109th minute the 19th minute of injury time? . . . . . . . . I must have been dreaming. :shock: :wink:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dear God, and I thought you were getting a bit senile... :oops: :laugh:
This is the way
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:47 pm Dear God, and I thought you were getting a bit senile... :oops: :laugh:
Have you been hitting the sherry pre midday again? . . . .you know it clouds your marbles. :wink: :mrgreen: