2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: 2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by Nereus »

1. S. Vettel
Ferrari·#5
1:28:31.377

2. V. Bottas
Mercedes·#77
+7.376s

3.M. Verstappen
Red Bull·#33
+8.360s

What's this all about then:

Canadian Grand Prix winner Sebastian Vettel said he was worried Formula 1 fans would run onto the track when the chequered flag was waved before the end of the race.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13666 ... ature-flag

The result of the grand prix was taken from lap 68 instead of 70 after model Winnie Harlow waved the flag early, with Vettel passing it for the first time at the end of the penultimate lap.

Harlow said she was "just following instructions", and Vettel said he sent a radio message about the flag being waved early in the hope it would prevent any confusion.

"Fortunately we had radio, fortunately we had the lap counter in the car, and the pit board was accurate," said Vettel.

"But if you lose radio and maybe the pit board is not there, then you back off, and being in the lead, you hope all the others back off as well!

"I was just worried, I told them on the last lap, so people don't jump on the track, waving flags and celebrating, because we are still going at full pace.

"I even watched on TV [on a trackside big screen] and after I saw the chequered flag it said 'FINAL LAP' [on the TV graphics], so then I was a bit confused.

"I told them that I think the race isn't over yet, and they said, 'no no no, keep pushing'.
"Some of the marshals were already celebrating - they peaked a bit early."

Lapped eighth-place finisher Carlos Sainz Jr says he was delayed by Kimi Raikkonen slowing for the early flag.
"I lost four or five seconds, because Kimi saw it and was slowing down in front of me," said Sainz.

"Then he saw it was not the chequered flag and he picked up the pace again.
"I arrived to Turn 2 and all the marshals were waving the flags - I knew they were wrong, I didn't slow down, but Kimi did in front.

"I didn't see the chequered flag, because I wasn't looking at it, and I didn't expect it."

The race result being declared at lap 68 meant fastest lap went to Max Verstappen rather than his Red Bull team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who had gone quickest of all on the final tour.

Ricciardo was being interviewed by Sky Sports F1 when the change was made, and said in open-mouthed shock: "I think it went to me! No, let's re-run this. That's wrong!"

Pierre Gasly, who finished 11th, said having the flag come out early was "risky".

"My engineer told me, 'OK, don't pay attention to that'," he said.
"But that is really risky, because if you lift off after the first one and then everyone passes you... I was a bit surprised.
"The team told me five seconds before, so it was pretty close timing. He told me 'next one is the last lap', then I pass [the line] and I saw the flag and I was like, 'what the fuck?'"
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Canadian GP Pool Results
php33ObUyPM.jpg
php33ObUyPM.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Pool Standings after Canadian GP
phpPl57WTPM.jpg
phpPl57WTPM.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 343 times
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpBzbBgvPM.jpg
phpBzbBgvPM.jpg (78.42 KiB) Viewed 341 times
phpxt1SrcPM.jpg
phpxt1SrcPM.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

"Daniel Ricciardo usually wins the hard way – and that’s exactly what he’ll have to do if he is to triumph in Canada this weekend, with the news that the Red Bull driver is set to take a grid penalty.
I wondered what the out come was about this.
Ricciardo had to use an older MGU-K this weekend after his component failed during his Monaco victory.
Red Bull opted to revert to one already in the pool instead of sacrificing a good starting position for a new part, which would have sparked a grid penalty.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: RE: Re: 2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by Thailightzone »

Nereus wrote:1. S. Vettel
Ferrari·#5
1:28:31.377

2. V. Bottas
Mercedes·#77
+7.376s

3.M. Verstappen
Red Bull·#33
+8.360s

What's this all about then:

Canadian Grand Prix winner Sebastian Vettel said he was worried Formula 1 fans would run onto the track when the chequered flag was waved before the end of the race.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13666 ... ature-flag

The result of the grand prix was taken from lap 68 instead of 70 after model Winnie Harlow waved the flag early, with Vettel passing it for the first time at the end of the penultimate lap.

Harlow said she was "just following instructions", and Vettel said he sent a radio message about the flag being waved early in the hope it would prevent any confusion.

"Fortunately we had radio, fortunately we had the lap counter in the car, and the pit board was accurate," said Vettel.

"But if you lose radio and maybe the pit board is not there, then you back off, and being in the lead, you hope all the others back off as well!

"I was just worried, I told them on the last lap, so people don't jump on the track, waving flags and celebrating, because we are still going at full pace.

"I even watched on TV [on a trackside big screen] and after I saw the chequered flag it said 'FINAL LAP' [on the TV graphics], so then I was a bit confused.

"I told them that I think the race isn't over yet, and they said, 'no no no, keep pushing'.
"Some of the marshals were already celebrating - they peaked a bit early."

Lapped eighth-place finisher Carlos Sainz Jr says he was delayed by Kimi Raikkonen slowing for the early flag.
"I lost four or five seconds, because Kimi saw it and was slowing down in front of me," said Sainz.

"Then he saw it was not the chequered flag and he picked up the pace again.
"I arrived to Turn 2 and all the marshals were waving the flags - I knew they were wrong, I didn't slow down, but Kimi did in front.

"I didn't see the chequered flag, because I wasn't looking at it, and I didn't expect it."

The race result being declared at lap 68 meant fastest lap went to Max Verstappen rather than his Red Bull team-mate Daniel Ricciardo, who had gone quickest of all on the final tour.

Ricciardo was being interviewed by Sky Sports F1 when the change was made, and said in open-mouthed shock: "I think it went to me! No, let's re-run this. That's wrong!"

Pierre Gasly, who finished 11th, said having the flag come out early was "risky".

"My engineer told me, 'OK, don't pay attention to that'," he said.
"But that is really risky, because if you lift off after the first one and then everyone passes you... I was a bit surprised.
"The team told me five seconds before, so it was pretty close timing. He told me 'next one is the last lap', then I pass [the line] and I saw the flag and I was like, 'what the ****?'"
Give the checkered flag to a clueless celebrity - expect clueless results
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 pm To me another clear example that this is not racing, it's some kind of abomination dreamt up by Eccelstone and his cronies to make money, IMO
Well there's plenty of things that you can sat against Bernie, but he was dead against the introduction of the v6 turbo formula and did what he could to fight it being introduced.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

French GP

phpQyHhWVPM.jpg
phpQyHhWVPM.jpg (74.29 KiB) Viewed 220 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

French GP

phpqIgFUlPM.jpg
phpqIgFUlPM.jpg (63.12 KiB) Viewed 220 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpUxRWFlPM.jpg
phpUxRWFlPM.jpg (107.03 KiB) Viewed 220 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpxq9raRPM.jpg
phpxq9raRPM.jpg (78.22 KiB) Viewed 221 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phprT6RBxPM.jpg
phprT6RBxPM.jpg (23.39 KiB) Viewed 221 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It appears that Raikkonen will be out at Ferrari after this season.....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/44660670
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Austria Qualifying

phpWZ11olPM.jpg
phpWZ11olPM.jpg (106.47 KiB) Viewed 166 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Austria results:

phpTPolWhPM.jpg
phpTPolWhPM.jpg (106.54 KiB) Viewed 150 times