2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Re: 2018 F1 News and Prediction Tournament

Post by Thailightzone »

Nereus wrote:https://au.sports.yahoo.com/mad-f1-worl ... 56442.html

The world of Formula One has been left shocked by Daniel Ricciardo’s Renault bombshell after the Aussie announced he was jumping ship from Red Bull next season.

Ricciardo’s future has been the subject of intense speculation, with the Aussie arguably the last big name to decide which team he would be driving for in 2019.
The 29-year-old has now confirmed he’s making the stunning move to Renault and the decision has rocked motor racing fans.

It has been more than a decade since Renault last won the Formula One drivers’ title with Fernando Alonso in 2006, and the team who supply engines to Red Bull have not won a race since fully rejoining Formula One three years ago.

Ricciardo, 29, is fifth in the 2018 drivers’ standings and has won in China and Monaco this season, two of his seven Grand Prix victories.
“It was probably one of the most difficult decisions to take in my career so far,” Ricciardo told the Renault website. “But I thought that it was time for me to take on a fresh and new challenge.”

Renault managing director Cyril Abiteboul said the signing of the gifted extrovert underlined their ambitions.
“Daniel’s signing underscores our determination to accelerate our progress towards the forefront of the sport,” he said.
“Daniel’s undoubted talent and charisma are a huge bonus and statement for the team. We will have to repay his faith in us by delivering the best car possible.”
Team president Jerome Stoll added: “Renault decided to come back to Formula One to fight for world championships.”

Red Bull announced first that Ricciardo had decided to quit the team, before Renault swiftly confirmed his signing.
Currently, Renault’s best-placed driver is Nico Hulkenberg in seventh in the standings, while 23-year-old Spaniard Carlos Sainz is 11th.

Ricciardo’s switch to a team outside the big three of Red Bull, Mercedes and Ferrari represents a gamble.

While Renault are one place behind Red Bull in the constructors’ standings, they only have 82 points while third-placed Red Bull sit on 223.

“I realise that there is a lot ahead in order to allow Renault to reach their target of competing at the highest level,” he added.
“But I have been impressed by their progression in only two years, and I know that each time Renault has been in the sport they eventually won. I hope to be able to help them in this journey and contribute on and off track.”

– Dominos tumbling –
While the leading team, Mercedes, announced before the German Grand Prix on July 22 that they had locked their two drivers, Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, to contract extensions, Ricciardo’s switch could start dominos tumbling elsewhere in the paddock.

The promising Sainz, who like Ricciardo is a product of Red Bull’s driver development programme, is one driver already looking for a seat.

Red Bull meanwhile need to find a replacement for Ricciardo.

“We will now continue to evaluate the numerous options available to us before deciding on which driver partners Max Verstappen for the 2019 season,” team principal Christian Horner told the Red Bull website.
Oh Danny, what are you doing? I think you just commenced your Alonso career of going from one bad decision to the next.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Spanish mayor provides rare Michael Schumacher update

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/spanish-may ... 52176.html

F1 legend Michael Schumacher is on the move.

Although details around the condition of the German racing legend remain scarce, the mayor of Andratx has revealed Schumacher will soon be moving to Spanish holiday island Majorca.

“I can officially confirm Michael Schumacher is going to move in to our municipality and that everything is being prepared to welcome him,”mayor Katia Rouarch told Swiss magazine L’Illustre.

L’Illustre has been unable to confirm at what time Schumacher will move to Majorca with his family, or for how long.
What has been revealed however is the jaw-dropping state of the mega-mansion Schumacher will soon be moving to.

The huge, AU$47 million property, features a helipad, large garden areas, sea views and two swimming pools.
The home, purchased off Real Madrid president Florentino Perez by Michael’s wife Corinna, is situated among a number of other mega mansions, in a quiet pocket of the Spanish holiday island.

Few details of Schumacher’s condition have been released to the public, since the Ferrari star suffered a horrific brain injury while skiing in 2013.

In 2016, media reports surfaced suggesting he could walk, however those hopes were quickly shut down by his lawyer, who said in court, Schumacher “cannot walk”.

The 49 year old has not been seen in public since his tragic accident, and has reportedly been receiving full-time care at his home in Switzerland
Schumacher and his wife holidayed on Majorca in the past, with Corinna reportedly seeing the exclusive property as a place where the family can spend quality time together with their friends.

Schumacher’s son wins first Formula 3 race

Germany’s Mick Schumacher, the son of Formula One great Michael Schumacher, won his first Formula Three race on Saturday on the famed Spa track.
The 19-year-old triumphed in the junior category on a circuit loved by his father, who won a record seven Formula One titles.

Schumacher Senior made his F1 debut at Spa in 1991 and won his first race there a year later.
“It is a great feeling to win in Spa,” Mick told reporters.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm Alonso is retiring from F1.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45188028
Can't say it comes as a huge surprise to be honest - certainly seems he wants to push his Indy Car career...

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

McLaren: Carlos Sainz to Replace Fernando Alonso from 2019

Carlos Sainz has signed a multi-year deal to replace Fernando Alonso at McLaren from the 2019 season, the team have confirmed.
Alonso, twice world champion, announced on Tuesday that he will retire from Formula 1 at the end of the year.
Fellow Spaniard Sainz, 23, is currently on loan at Renault from Red Bull and said it was a "childhood dream" to join McLaren.
"I've been a McLaren fan for as long as I can remember," he added.
"It's a great name in the sport with an incredible heritage, and the list of drivers that have raced for McLaren over the years are among the heroes of Formula 1.
"Fernando is of course one of them, so it's particularly special that I'll be taking his seat as part of the next generation of Spanish racing drivers behind the wheel of a McLaren."

Taken from: - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/45208471

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been looking at the latest player positions. Am I looking at it wrong? It shows me as top :dance: - how the hell did that happen, I was near the bottom last time I looked? Is my system working this year?

I've looked back at the posts near the previous race, and assumed lindosfan's comments were right - they'd messed up.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am I've just been looking at the latest player positions. Am I looking at it wrong? It shows me as top :dance: - how the hell did that happen, I was near the bottom last time I looked? Is my system working this year?

I've looked back at the posts near the previous race, and assumed lindosfan's comments were right - they'd messed up.
Yes, you hit gold with the Hungarian race and went up 5 positions. Something worked! :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Spanish mayor provides rare Michael Schumacher update
https://au.sports.yahoo.com/spanish-may ... 52176.html
F1 legend Michael Schumacher is on the move.
…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
'He cries': Family reportedly share update on Michael Schumacher

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cries-famil ... 02697.html

Michael Schumacher’s family have reportedly provided a rare update on the stricken F1 legend’s health.
French magazine Paris Match has quoted ‘close family’ that Schumacher is still able to show emotions.

The magazine has quoted one relative as saying: “When you put him in his wheelchair facing the beautiful panorama of the mountains overlooking the lake, Michael sometimes cries.”

Schumacher currently lives in the Swiss town of Gland, overlooking Lake Geneva.
In 2015, Italian newspaper Corriere della Serra reported that the F1 legend would ‘well-up’ with tears when he saw his children.
“Sometimes a tear rolls down Michael’s face. He cries when he hears the voice of his children or his wife,” the newspaper said.

“In recent times he has been able to recognise the familiar faces of his family but he cannot communicate with them.”
Updates on Schumacher’s health have been rare since he suffered head injuries in a skiing accident in the French Alps in December 2013.

The Paris Match report goes against statements from former manager and close friend Willi Weber last week.
Weber was quoted by German publication Bunte giving a sad assessment of his friend’s condition.
“I have closed the chapter on Michael after a long period of mourning, otherwise I would go crazy,” Weber said.

Confusion reigns over reports Schumacher is relocating

Last week a spokesperson for Schumacher and his family hit back at claims he is being moved from his home in Switzerland.
Swiss news magazine L’Illustre reported that the seven-time F1 world champion was being moved to a vast property in the village of Andratx on Mallorca, recently purchased by his wife Corinna.
A number of media outlets around the world picked up the story, prompting the family to exit its habitual silence on all private manners.

“The Schumacher family does not plan to move to Mallorca,” family spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told AFP in an email.
L’Illustre based its story on a comment from Andratx mayor Katia Rouarch, saying she could “officially confirm” the 49-year-old German sportsman would be settling in the village.

“Everything is being put in place to accommodate him,” she was quoted by the magazine as saying

View photos

“In recent times he has been able to recognise the familiar faces of his family but he cannot communicate with them.”
Updates on Schumacher’s health have been rare since he suffered head injuries in a skiing accident in the French Alps in December 2013.
The Paris Match report goes against statements from former manager and close friend Willi Weber last week.
Weber was quoted by German publication Bunte giving a sad assessment of his friend’s condition.
“I have closed the chapter on Michael after a long period of mourning, otherwise I would go crazy,” Weber said.

View photos

Michael Schumacher in 2004. (Photo by Alexander Hassenstein/Bongarts/Getty Images)
More

Confusion reigns over reports Schumacher is relocating

Last week a spokesperson for Schumacher and his family hit back at claims he is being moved from his home in Switzerland.
Swiss news magazine L’Illustre reported that the seven-time F1 world champion was being moved to a vast property in the village of Andratx on Mallorca, recently purchased by his wife Corinna.
A number of media outlets around the world picked up the story, prompting the family to exit its habitual silence on all private manners.

“The Schumacher family does not plan to move to Mallorca,” family spokeswoman Sabine Kehm told AFP in an email.

L’Illustre based its story on a comment from Andratx mayor Katia Rouarch, saying she could “officially confirm” the 49-year-old German sportsman would be settling in the village.
“Everything is being put in place to accommodate him,” she was quoted by the magazine as saying.

Son wants to follow in ‘idol’ Schumacher’s footsteps

Speaking to BBC Radio earlier this week, Schumacher’s son Mick spoke about his father’s legacy.
“He was my idol. I am following everything he did to see if I can use it myself and I am really happy with that,” Mick said.
“The goal is to win in F1, that is the aim. My dad had a huge influence on my career.
“You still have to show what you can do. That’s my goal.
“I want to prove that I am a proper racing driver and not only show I have got the same name.”
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Belgium Qualifying

Hard rain is the cause of the slow times in Qualifying #3. https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45302479

phpmfNbQ9AM.jpg
phpmfNbQ9AM.jpg (107.56 KiB) Viewed 172 times
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Whispers expose ugly truth in broken Formula One system

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/rising-star ... 31039.html

Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel have spoken out for Esteban Ocon after the young French driver, who faces losing his job, qualified third for Force India in the Belgian Grand Prix.

The Mercedes and Ferrari drivers said Ocon had shown the talent to deserve his place in Formula One, Hamilton adding that his predicament was a symptom of a wider malaise in the sport.

The two four-time champions hit out amid widespread expectations that the impressive Mercedes junior driver will be replaced at Force India by Canadian Lance Stroll, the son of the team’s new owner, billionaire Lawrence Stroll.

Stroll is under contract to drive for Williams this year, but is reported to be preparing for a seat-fitting with Force India in anticipation of switching teams before next weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Monza.
After Saturday’s qualifying session, Ocon was caught by cameras talking to Vettel:

Vettel: Next year? Still nothing?
Ocon: No.
Vettel: Will you be here? No?
Ocon: No, no. The seat is taken.
Vettel: Oh yeah? Who?
Ocon: Have a guess! The one who bought it!
Vettel: Yes, but the other one…?
Ocon: Well, the other one brings money.

He was clearly referring to his current teammate Sergio Perez and Stroll.

Perez took fourth place in qualifying to confirm that Force India, in their first event as a ‘new’ mid-season entry, would start Sunday’s race with both cars on the second row of the grid.

“I’ve always been a supporter of Esteban,” said Hamilton, who took pole with Vettel in second ahead of the impressive Ocon.
“How he conducts himself and how he performs on track, he is exceptional.”

Ocon could find himself at McLaren, kicking Stoffel Vandoorne out of the sport, in the coming weeks if the complex set of driver transactions take place.

Speaking at the post-qualifying news conference, Hamilton went on to add: “Unfortunately, we’re in a weird place in Formula One where some teams, rather than take the up-and-coming kid, they take the money.

“It means the structure of the sport is probably wrong, in terms of how the funds are distributed.
“I’ve not read who has signed where and what seats are available, but he needs to be in a top car as he is one of the top drivers here.

“You can’t let someone who has more money leap in front of a better driver. It shouldn’t happen. The governing body definitely has to (address this) somehow.”

Vettel, who is 24 points behind Hamilton in the title race, praised Ocon for his driving and said his qualifying performance “should be considered for signing him somewhere next year”.

“It’s very good to get this qualifying session under the belt and get the car in P3, where it doesn’t belong,” Vettel said of Ocon.

“I think that shows enough, in a session like that, that can be quite chaotic, and you can easily do a mistake. To hold it together is crucial and that’s what he did.”

Ocon was delighted to hear the two drivers, who are fighting for a fifth title, lend him such strong support.

“It’s awesome to hear that. I’m very happy to hear that,” he said.
“Of course, I want to be racing next year, and I’m doing everything for it, I’m working very hard every day for it. To hear great things from those two champions is just fantastic. I will see what the future is going to bring.

“I’m managed by Mercedes and they’ve taken great decisions for me in the past so I’m sure it will be the same again for me in the future, hopefully, and I will be sorted out.”
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

Nereus wrote: Michael Schumacher’s family have reportedly provided a rare update on the stricken F1 legend’s health.
French magazine Paris Match has quoted ‘close family’ that Schumacher is still able to show emotions.

Let's not kid ourselves, he's a vegetable
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Belgium Results

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/45314905

phpBNQivLPM.jpg
phpBNQivLPM.jpg (108.76 KiB) Viewed 131 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Congratulations to BSDK for the best race this week. :thumb:

phpE5OPYFPM.jpg
phpE5OPYFPM.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 128 times
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

phpsugJ11PM.jpg
phpsugJ11PM.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 130 times