Premier League 2018-2019

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

Re: Premier League 2018-2019

Post by PeteC »

Of course the devil is in the details, but if this comes about with FB the impact will be massive. Millions will be able to watch the Premier League on any device, anywhere, as long as they have an internet connection and Facebook account. I can't believe at the moment that it will be free, but we'll have to wait and see. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Antonio Conte: Chelsea sack Italian after two years in charge

......."Ex-Napoli manager Maurizio Sarri is expected to succeed his compatriot at Stamford Bridge.".......

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44820563

Note: What is this possible obsession with Italian coaches? I've watched some interviews from Conte and he must have a translator with him on the sidelines and on the practice field at all times, especially when he gets emotional. Now, they go with another Italian. Of course, a Russian owner at the moment probably doesn't want a British coach, bad chemistry? Pun intended. :oops:

Caller, you know the team the best on here IMO. What is the nationality breakdown? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Here you go Pete:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C ... ._managers

It appears there is much more to Conte's sacking than is at first apparent.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... -downfall/
Talk is cheap
ducmessi3792
Novice
Novice

Arsenal announce their £ 44m bid for Manchester United

Post by ducmessi3792 »

Following the news that Man Utd has started to shift to recruiting Bayern midfielder, Arsenal are also expected to fight in the deal. soi kèo bóng đá

On the new season Jose Mourinho has been seeking a center-back to add steel to the defense. After several attempts, the two deals with Harry Maguire and Yerry Mina are still in a deadlock. So, the Special One decided to switch to another star.

HOT: Arsenal announce Man Utd's bid for Bayern 44 million pounds (Bayern)
 Boateng is being pursued MU and Arsenal aggressively.
According to Sport Bild, the Red Devils have already started negotiations with Bayern to sign Jerome Boateng on Old Trafford before the weekend closes. In addition to meeting Bayern's £ 44m fee requirement, Man Utd have to compete with Paris Saint-Germain, who also wants Boateng's service. bình luận bóng đá đêm nay

Almost immediately, the Gunners in London have declared war on the Reds in the deal. Although successful recruiting Sokratis Papastathopoulos from Dortmund, but how much with coach Emery is not enough. In addition, the Spaniard is also trying to get rid of Shkodran Mustafi before the start of the season.

In the summer of 2017, Jerome Boateng scored two goals in 31 appearances in all competitions and won the Bundesliga title.
seriea
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I find these analyses good and impartial. Good read.

https://statsbomb.com/2018/08/
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Thought I'd venture into the Sports section for the first time. Since the 70's I've loved cock----(erel) on the badge. Avid spurs fan here. We became the first club in 15 years today to not buy anyone since the summer transfer window began back in '03. Bold move. We also didn't sell any of our best players. Levy could have got rid of any 4/5 players (Kane, Alli, Eriksen, alderweireld, Vetonghen, Trippier, Rose, Son) and paid half of the 800 million bill for the stadium. He must have been VERY tempted to pay half off in one fell swoop - but didn't. Fair play.

Locked most our best players into longer contracts. Shame it meant not purchasing new blood but...

COYS

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Considering half of the spurs team only reported back to the club on Monday, a 1-2 away victory at Newcastle is a great start to the season. Remember, we do have a month to wait for Kane to start scoring too having NEVER scored a goal in August!

No upsets so far. Business as usual for 3 of the 'Top 6'. Looking forward to the Arsenal - City game tomorrow.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Spurs 3-0 over Manu. There must be big internal problems there that are not public yet. Give Mourinho and the team time I guess. Burnley is next Sunday, and if they lose that? :| Pete :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Man U 0 - 3 Spurs

Oh happy day! Can't honestly say I was expecting that...
Not the most inspiring first half, but I'm so glad I stuck around for the second. COYS!!! :cheers: :cheers:
This is the way
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I watched the game live and as I tend to do, followed live updates on BBC.com.

United really should have gone into the break at least 1 goal up as it was obvious that Spurs could only get better, as they did and ran out comfortable winners.

United clearly have huge problems in the centre of defence and that will undo any good work done elsewhere. Have to agree with Neville when criticising the club about not backing Mourinho in respect of these positions. It's interesting that Mourinho is the 3rd manager since Ferguson quit and even he was hanging on at the end with an aging squad, but it's clear the club are just treading water. If you're going to employ a manager like Mourinho then you have to spend, it's his MO and only half the job is done.

As for the spuds, it pains me to say this, but I think this could be their best season yet. If Lamela can stay fit and run at and past players as he has been doing, it gives them an extra dimension, as the only other player to do that up till now has been Son. But now there is Moura as well and he was great last night. All the best teams have players that can pass defenders with skill and pace and I think that has been what has been lacking in this Spurs team.

As for the beebs live text. Apart from some terrible posts from the public, many of their analysts are 2nd rate. Chris Suttons hysteria over Mourinho last night was verging on the perverse. I'm glad they have removed the moniker of ex-Chelsea striker from his 'tag', as he lasted one season, was generally crap and scored 3 goals, of which only 1 was in the premiership and was quickly discarded at seasons end. He was an okay pro and is presumably liked because of his sensationalism, rather than analytical skills, which are seriously lacking, in the same way Savage used to be. In other words, he's the beebs new pet idiot.
Talk is cheap
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Nice to see Mourinho lose his cool again, Just wish it hadn`t been Spurs!!!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I read this morning that Son may be gone for 2 years into Korea national service. There is a chance that if Korea wins the Asia Games gold in football he may get an exemption, but that's not guaranteed. Up to their Gov after it's all over. Pete :cheers:

Edit: Here's the story: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45277281
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

caller wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:16 pm It's interesting that Mourinho is the 3rd manager since Ferguson quit and even he was hanging on at the end with an aging squad, but it's clear the club are just treading water.
Yes, an odd situation. I read a quote from a player today saying that teams no longer feared Man U as they used to, and I think that's right - and important.

The last Ferguson team were not up to scratch and did not play well all season. But they won, somehow. Credit to the manager for that.
As for the spuds, it pains me to say this, but I think this could be their best season yet. If Lamela can stay fit and run at and past players as he has been doing, it gives them an extra dimension, as the only other player to do that up till now has been Son. But now there is Moura as well and he was great last night. All the best teams have players that can pass defenders with skill and pace and I think that has been what has been lacking in this Spurs team.
You have no idea how much I hope you're right! It's been widely commented on that Spurs brought no new players in this summer. The point has been made that hanging on to what they've got was crucial, and that's true, though there are a few days left before the European deadline.

We have a good record of bringing youth players through the system, and there are a few in the pipeline, but it remains to be seen whether the current squad will be enough as the season progresses. Injuries to a few key players could be disastrous.

Moura's form is a huge bonus. Another relief is Kane's return to form. Until last week, he hadn't done much since the second World Cup game and seemed to be off the pace, but having finally scored in August and at Old Trafford, hopefully he'll go on to have another good season.

We won the first 2 games of the season, although the performances weren't that convincing, but now we've given Man U a spanking and made it 3 in a row, which will do everyone's confidence a pile of good. We won't really know how good we are until we play Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea, but just as important is to avoid dropping points against the 'lesser' clubs, something that has always been a bugbear.

I can't honestly see anyone living with City again this year, in spite of the draw against Wolves, but I live in hope!
This is the way
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Spurs or Liverpool, two top contenders who havn`t won the top prize for many years, one of them is going to be disappointed, again.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

arcadianagain wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:17 pm Spurs or Liverpool, two top contenders who havn`t won the top prize for many years, one of them is going to be disappointed, again.
Yes, I would be very surprised if City don't retain the title, but they need De Bruyne back as quickly as they can.
Talk is cheap