Thailand Football

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Big Boy

Thailand Football

Post by Big Boy »

This thread has been suggested by Lost. So, a quick introduction......................

Most of Thai football is a complete mystery to me - and each ref even seems to have their own version of the rules.

However, it does play a big part of my life. I followed Hua Hin City regularly at home and away for 6 seasons until the mis-management made it unbearable for me. I went to their last game, and couldn't believe how bad it was, and did wonder if this was the same standard of football that I'd watched for 6 years. And old friend will be playing against them again on Saturday, so I'll probably be spotted on the terraces again. I have a wasted season ticket, so I am not aiding the club further by attending.

I still needed my fix of live football, so after much consideration, it was down to a choice of 2 clubs within decent commute distance. Ratchaburi Mitr Phol or PT Prachuap. Many Hua Hin fans had deserted the sinking ship, and had travelled South to Prachuap, which is slightly closer. After the 2014 riots, this is a move I could not contemplate.

So, it was Ratchaburi Mitr Phol. Just 3 of us travelled the first time. What an experience - as soon as I drove into the car park, it was like real football again. Over the years, I had seen many top Thai stadiums, but supporting lower league football, they were empty. The car park was buzzing. It seemed every supporter was wearing Ratchaburi colours.

The shop was fantastic, even sold Farang sizes. A real stadium, proper seats, unobstructed views, a pitch you could play snooker on, real football and more importantly, a club that appreciates its supporters - it was the beautiful game once more. Mitr Phol Stadium was like stepping into heaven for me.

Fans are delighted to have Farangs supporting their team. They often approach us, just to shake our hands or take selfies with us. In the few months we've been supporting them, I've been called upon to do 2 interviews. One was by Thai movie star, Jack (yes, I'd never heard of him either :D ). They asked Mrs BB to act as interpreter, so she was in heaven talking to this guy. Unfortunately, he kept coming back to what the problems were at Hua Hin City. Something I wouldn't comment on camera about while the club is being investigated.

We now have a small gathering, and I arrange transport (cost price) to home games. We often take a bus, but I arrange cars if we don't have enough. If anybody wants to join us, just ask - I'm sure we can fit you in.

So, that's my introduction. Most of what I say will be Ratchaburi based, but I know we definitely have Prachuap supporters on here, and maybe a few others. Hopefully, you guys can throw in your 2 Baht's worth as well.

Thai football (leagues T1 & T2) is having an unexpected 1 month break while the Asian Games are on, so not much to talk about. For me, the next highlight will be 23 Aug when the FA Cup semi-final draw will be made.

If anybody wants to discuss Hua Hin City, there is a separate thread here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35886 .

So, anything at all, please join in, especially if you're an expert on Thai football, which I certainly am not.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thailand Football

Post by Lost »

:cheers:

Just youtubing some of Ratchaburi's games, pitch etc. I used to live very close for a few years but never visited. Looking at the video, seems you are spot on when saying 'a pitch you could play snooker on'. Looks the business (below video was presumably during stadium build/renovations dated 2016).

Do Ratchaburi have any international players playing or is it predominantly Thai? Are they a 'Premier League' team per se?
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The stadium is all seater now. What video shows is the original build.

Yes, they have internationals and ex-internationals e.g.:

Roller is in the senior Thailand squad.
Valskis is a Lithuanian squad member.
Hartmann is a Filipino international.
Montree is currently with the Thai u.23 squad.

Quite a few ex-internationals as well.

They are in T1, which used to be Premier League. Currently in the survival dogfight created by 'another' Thai FA re-organisation, where 5 teams are relegated. There are currently at least 12 teams fighting for survival. The strongest squads are likely to survive, because teams will be playing 2 games a week when the season resumes.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thailand's final squad for the forthcoming Asian Games that kick off for Thailand on 14th Aug:

GoalKeeper
1. Nont Muangngam—Police Tero FC (21yrs)
2. Kwunchai Suklorm—PT Prachuap FC (23yrs)

Defender
3.Chinnapat Leeor—Singha Chiangrai United (21yrs)
4. Suriya Singmui—Singha Chiangrai United (23yrs)
5.Worawut Narmvech—Port FC (23yrs)
6. Wanchai Jarunongkran—True Bangkok United (21yrs)
7. Pavee Tantatemee—Ubon UMT United (22yrs)
8. Saringkarn Promsupa—SCG Muangthong United (21yrs)

Midfielder
9. Chaiyawat Buran—Singha Chiangrai United (22yrs)
10.Pitthiwat Sukjitthammakul—Singha Chiangrai United (23yrs)
11. Rattanakorn Maikami—Buriram United (20yrs)
12. Supachok Sarachart—Buriram United (20yrs)
13.Ekkanit Panya—Chiangmai FC (19yrs)
14. Tanasith Siripala—Suphanburi FC (23yrs)
15. Sunsern Lkmwattana—Sukhothai FC (21yrs)
16. Montree Promsawat—Ratchaburi Mitrphol FC (22yrs)
17. Noppol Ponkum—Police Tero FC (22yrs)
18. Worachit Kanitsribumpen—Chonburi FC (21yrs)

Striker
19. Chenrop Sumpaodee—SCG Muangthong United (23yrs)
20. Supachai Jaidet—Buriram United (20yrs)

Coach
-Worawut Srimaka

http://fathailand.org/news/2655

Looking at the opposition, Thailand should walk through the group stages.

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A Ratchaburi player leads Thailand into the u.16 cup final today at 19:00hrs vs Indonesia.
u16.jpg

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

After drawing 1-1 with Indonesia, Thailand's kids lost 4-3 on penalties.

Crowds queuing for the u.16 final :shock:
crowds.jpg
crowds.jpg (147.3 KiB) Viewed 4838 times

Points 41; Position 18
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I was just wondering if Thailand had ever made the World Cup so googled it and came across this decent article in BKK post from June.

Thailand's Bumpy Road to the World Cup

As a football-loving nation, qualifying for the World Cup has been the ultimate dream for Thailand.
While the Thai women's national football team and the men's Paralympics team both managed to qualify for their respective most recent World Cup tournaments, the Thai men's football squad has yet to realise this golden moment despite the rich talent of players like midfielder Chanathip Songkrasin and forward Teerasil Dangda...

link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... -world-cup.

I had to laugh with the excuse of 'small stature' being given by some players. The Japanese and Koreans seem to do ok! Another excuse was 'no motivation'. Surely the players should take some responsibility to motivate themselves. :?
Also discussed poor management of Thai clubs which I believe you saw first hand at HHFC.

:cheers:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thailand's fixtures in the Asia Cup - all live on Workpoint Channel 23 (anybody recognise that?):
[Edit] It can be watched here: https://tv.mthai.com/digital-tv/channel/workpoint
fixtures.jpg
fixtures.jpg (86.58 KiB) Viewed 4798 times

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Lost wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:35 am I was just wondering if Thailand had ever made the World Cup
Basically, they aren't good enough. Thailand are building a good youth infrastructure, but I think they are years from getting even close. They have to get through 2 qualifying rounds. In the first qualifying round they tend to be thrown in the pot with some fairly poor teams, and enjoy some success. However, when they get to the 2nd qualifying round, they find themselves in the mix with the bigger boys, who tend to make up the numbers at World Cup finals.

Maybe Qatar - aren't they increasing the number of teams in 2022?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Today's League Cup semi-final draw to be played on 19 Sept.
league.jpg
Nakhon Ratchasima vs Chiang Rai
Buriram vs Bangkok Glass

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Carrying on from the above semi-final draw, the venues have been announced, and it's absolutely bonkers........

Toyota Cup 2018 semifinals;

1st match: Nakhon Ratchasima vs Chiang Rai United
at Supachalasai Stadium
35,000 Capacity

2nd match: Buriram United - Bangkok Glass
at Bunyajinda Stadium
3,500 Capacity

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

The venue for the second fixture is owned by the Royal Thai Police. I wonder where the head of the Thai FA originates from :?

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thailand u.23 1 - 1 Qatar u.23

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Starts in a few minutes time - live on Channel 23.

Thailand u.23 vs Bangladesh u.23
Thailand_vs_Bangladesh.jpg
Thailand_vs_Bangladesh.jpg (70.6 KiB) Viewed 4702 times

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thailand u.23 1 - 1 Bangladesh u.23

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's looking quite precarious for Thailand with only Uzbekistan to play. If either of the 2 teams below them, nothing less than a win in the final match will do.
table.jpg
table.jpg (12.94 KiB) Viewed 4659 times

Points 41; Position 18