Scotland are better than England now ??

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Scotland are better than England now ??

Post by Super Joe »

The Scottish national squad is made up of youngsters who have been nurtured to appreciate the shirt they wear and not how much they are getting payed. I bet the people from south of Hadrians wall wished that their team had some pride when they played for their country instead of thinking about how much thay can earn..
When was the last time England beat anybody worthwhile?
No 1966 references please!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Discounting the red cape being waved in the face of a herd of bulls on here, I say good for them. National pride is a good thing, and even my country right or wrong is a good thing, or used to be. :( Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Scotland are better than England now ??

Post by redzonerocker »

are scotland better than england now?
in a word super joe, no! :mrgreen:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Hi Redzone,

I notice you failed to answer the question about which decent team England have beat recently!!

I'm not on a wind up, but let's be honest England wouldn't have gone to Paris and won, they don't seem to have the passion and bottle these days.

Are Scotland better than England now ??? Well we are top of our group, which is a lot harder group than yours, whereas yous lot are struggling.

Too many foreigners in the Premiership, restricting the youngsters coming through.
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

scotland

Post by redzonerocker »

yes,you are doing well at present but lets not get carried away.
great result in paris to complete a double over the french but you haven't qualified yet :roll: .
if you do, you have to produce the goods in the tournament itself.i don't want to rub it in, but your performances in the actual tournament stages, both world cup & euros ( when you've qualified :roll: ) is pretty dismal.
england have under achieved, but going out on pens, which is our main mode of exit from tournaments, is no real disgrace.
as for recent results against decent teams, how about 1-5 in munich against the germans.
currently 3-0 & 3-0 versus israel & russia are good results.
i hope you do qualify & maybe draw us in the finals. then we can see for certain who are the top dogs :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

i hope you do qualify & maybe draw us in the finals. then we can see for certain who are the top dogs
I still remember the last time that happened. It was amazing how many ardent Scottish supporters suddenly reverted to supporting their club side only :guns:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

To be fair chaps, and I'm a passionate, but realistic England supporter.

We're pretty cack at the moment, and they are performing better than us.

We are over-hyped, too many people believe the newspapaers about how good we are ....... Emile Heskey up front, that bellend doesn't even own a pair of football boots, got a fair collection of ice skates though.

Our problem is their isn't the young players from lower divisions coming through due to the amount of foreigners in our top sides.

Surely it's only gonna get worse.

Scotland are better than us ........ at bowls.

Burger
Jim
Guru
Guru

Post by Jim »

...and curling

probably give us a decent run in 20/20 cricket too
ดวงขึ้น
จิม
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Burger wrote:To be fair chaps, and I'm a passionate, but realistic England supporter.

We're pretty cack at the moment, and they are performing better than us.

We are over-hyped, too many people believe the newspapaers about how good we are ....... Emile Heskey up front, that bellend doesn't even own a pair of football boots, got a fair collection of ice skates though.

Our problem is their isn't the young players from lower divisions coming through due to the amount of foreigners in our top sides.

Surely it's only gonna get worse.

Scotland are better than us ........ at bowls.

Burger
And curling!
Talk is cheap
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

caller wrote:
And curling!
Is that the one I was thinking of, David Bryant and all that ??

Or are you talking about your Scottish hair dresser down there in snobby Surrey ?

Burger
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Burger wrote:caller wrote:
And curling!
Is that the one I was thinking of, David Bryant and all that ??

Or are you talking about your Scottish hair dresser down there in snobby Surrey ?

Burger
No idea, but whatever it is, the Scots are world champs at it and are justifiably proud!

Remember, this is a country that still fondly recalls an Archie Gemmill goal in yet another abysmal failure as being one of their all time sports highlights! You know the one, where his legs couldn't carry him over the fence? Or was that strachan? They all look the same to me. :twisted:
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Cmon chaps.
We are talking about the present. Scotland have arguably the best young squad in Europe. We sit atop a group which boasts the two world cup finalists from 2006
In the Scottish premier league a squad must contain at least 3 under 21 nationals every game. Maybe if Englend started this they wouldn't have to recall their misfits from the last world cup.
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

Big Boy wrote:
i hope you do qualify & maybe draw us in the finals. then we can see for certain who are the top dogs
I still remember the last time that happened. It was amazing how many ardent Scottish supporters suddenly reverted to supporting their club side only :guns:
Could be wrong but the last time we played did we not prompt Tony Adams to quote "We was lucky, we got pummelled". And we had Christian feckin Dailly in the team.

Just shows what pride in the jersey can achieve.

Looking at the fixtures I reckon we'll do very well to qualify but there's no doubting we're punching well above our weight so far. Not enough Hibees in the squad like.
Never trust a hippy....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

caller wrote:
No idea, but whatever it is, the Scots are world champs at it
I thought that was a championship for Great Britain :twisted:

............ And don't forget Elephant Polo.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Burger
Ace
Ace

Post by Burger »

Super Jock wrote:
In the Scottish premier league a squad must contain at least 3 under 21 nationals every game.
Agree, England should implement that, I would go so far as only 3 foreigners in a club side.
IT would bring the English youngsters through, and you'll still see the cream of foreigners, ie: your Cantona's, Zola's, Vialli's (I'll have a patsy), Henry's etc.
There's a lot of average cheap foreigners in our game.

John Terry, Sol Campbell, Ledley King, The Man U old youth lot who went on to win everything, they only developed into top players by playing in the Premiership. Sure there's laods of youngsters in the lower leagues who would make it if given the chance.

As for Scotland, they're out shining us at the moment, no question, good luck to them, let them have they're moment in the sun.

Burger