Dodgy Bars

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
MURF

EL Murphys

Post by MURF »

Happy new year everyone,just a short note to clear up a few points made here.

Drink & food prices.
Since we opened(4 years) we have not raisied our beer prices (Singha bottle 70 b).During this time the gov. and our suppliers have had many increases but we have resisted passing them on to our loyal custom.Four years we ago were 10/15 b dearer then the local beer/lady bars now we are 10/30 bath cheaper(in 4 years).As we do not get involved in the flesh trade and we have a large loyal staff who are paided much better then average.The bar is also fully aircon with 5 satalite feeds showing sports that most other bars cannot(cricket,rugby,all aussie sports,all american sports,sky sports etc.).This does not come cheap but it a service we are more then happy to provide @ 70 b a singha.
Due to the credit problems everyone is facing we also interduced our happy times(150b imported draft beers-guinness etc.),99b best fried breakfast in town and our credit crunch lunch.In the coming month we will be bringing in more cost saving services for our customers to enjoy.
Anybody who knows us or has visited here over time notices that we are always making improvments and we will contuine to keep ploughing the profits back into the buisness to make El Murphys special.

The music.
Since we reopened in Dec 2009 we have put a charge on drinks (20b-singha 90b)during show time.(We have never charged a cover charge even on New Year etc.1st come 1st served).Thankfully the band do not play for free they are talented artists and are paid as such.Over the course of a year this charge covers 45% of their saleries and we pay the rest.It also covers new sound equipment etc,etc.Other music venues in town and Thailand charge 80b more on their drinks all day(singha 170+).It is our mission to provide the best entertainment while keeping our costs to you down.

The sport.
While the music is our main activity we aslo show a huge array of live sporting events.The timing for the E.P.L. and some northern rubgy events clash with the band-but in our smoking room we show the main games with sound on a 50"flat screen.

Tax.
Over our door by law in white is our holding company name,we are a registered limited company and we pay our taxes accordingly,we also pay employee tax,employee insurance,full entertainment licences etc.We are required by law to show vat on all bills,this is totally out of our control.Most other bars opperate as sole traders and there turnovers are under the required amount as S.J. stated.Also for our permits we must pay vat from the 1st baht we earn.In Bangkok most themed or bigger bars charge this also as do 7/11 etc.
But we do not charge for service as we leave that to you.

Thank you for your comments and advice,we are always looking to improve and to improve we need our customers feedback.
Have a good 2010. :cheers:
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

20 baht added price when live music in on is really peanut money and nothing to complain to mum about.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

stgrhe wrote:20 baht added price when live music in on is really peanut money and nothing to complain to mum about.
Some will find a way. :cry:
Happiness can't buy money
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

stgrhe wrote:20 baht added price when live music in on is really peanut money and nothing to complain to mum about.
Agree, and they are a talented band, friendly bunch who are always up for a chat after. 90 Baht for a Singha while a band and sport is on in an air-con bar sounds more than fair to me, but ..... come on you 7/11'ers, surely you can find something to whinge about here :D

SJ
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

I just find it really funny that when someone like Murf tries hard to provide a good place to eat and drink, and to run the place above board as we say back in Blighty, he gets crap thrown at him.

Heres my perspective:

I like Murf's steaks.... they are the best in town IMHO. I like Murf's band - again the best in HH IMHO. I like Murf's place - he ploughs profits back in and improves it constantly - thats my sort of business. (I just wish my daft as a brush lass would learn off him instead of resorting to the Thai setting every time.)

Now recently Mrs S insisted on us eating a steak at the Hilton. It was arse...(and I dont mean a rump cut)....and cost at least twice what it would have at Murf's place. The steak was arse, the beer warm, the service was arse and the bill ridiculous....and no music. I Fing hated it and it cost me an arm and a leg.

So... do I mind paying a bit extra on a beer so I can be entertained by a good band while eating a delicious juicy big bit o beef?

No

If y dont want to pay extra do what others have suggested - sit outside the 7/11 choking on motocy fumes and listening to the siren at Lucky Lukes driving you mad, or go to the Hilton and learn what a real rip off is like.

PS: Well done Murf for teaching me how to answer daft posts in a mature manner rather than like an idiot

:cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Agree 100% Sandman

Few years back I fell out with Eddie over a couple of niggly critisisms I made on HHAD but made up over a beer. Enjoy his breakfasts and tried his ribs which where good but the sauce was not to my liking but that is personal taste.

Not tried his steak but heard nothing but praise about them so will try this week. Can they cook them blue as I like a bit of blood gravy? (Isaan eating style). Whats the price roughly? and what comes with it? I usually just like a few fried onions and a side salad

:cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

Always had a good time and good food , and will keep coming back, a great bar. :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, in my total of 5 days in HH, in 3 separate periods we went twice - for the cider - well I did (as a result of the cider thread)! Enjoyed the band as well and the missus now wants to learn smoke on the water - for karaoke! :(

One comment Murf - please get your drinks menu up to date asap! First cider I ordered (Bulmers) was no longer available, then a 2nd (can't recall) and after the waitress went and came back twice to say not available, another (male) Thai(?) staff member came and explained what was what in very good English - problem solved.

First time I'd been in your place and it was very good (even though I have an aversion to faux irish places - sorry) and thanks for the explanation about the VAT.
Talk is cheap
frankygoes
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankygoes »

Good idea for a thread! Name and shame. Only way to learn.
kgbking
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dodgy Bars

Post by kgbking »

anyone know where diamond pub is ? also been looking for petch barber, not sure if its the same place but would love to know where it is.. thanks!
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

This thread is almost 5 years old !
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

An old thread, but to help you out kgbking the place is at soi 64/1 on Petchkasem.
kgbking
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kgbking »

Thank you, much appreciated!
Gus
Guru
Guru

Post by Gus »

Don't forget there is a Diamond bar on the corner of Poolsuk and Soi Selekam.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

The Diamond Pub was a bit of an oddity - well away from the other nightlife venues, it was, for a few years, the only place in HH that did a soapy massage and was in many ways set up more like a Bangkok venue rather than an HH one..

Last time I ventured there it seemed to have been fitted out for the domestic trade - not sure what actually goes on there now, but I got the distinct impression that farangs are not their target clientele anymore..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...