Dodgy Bars

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

caller wrote:
Super Joe wrote:.....and affect their business in this particular period
I haven't a problem with that if they're ripping folk off
They're doing exactly what we knew we were letting ourselves in for when we chose to come here. And that's assuming the OP knows for a fact it wasn't a genuine error.

If we boycotted every place in LOS that took advantage of us farangs there wouldn't be many places we'd have left to frequent, and we'd be whingeing and whining 24/7.

OP asking another poster to 'name and shame' a bar over how much they charge for soda water. FFS grow up.

I'm done here, winds me up.

SJ
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Super Joe wrote:They're doing exactly what we knew we were letting ourselves in for when we chose to come here.
SJ
Really - thats a bit sad, isn't it?

So its okay for bars to rip people off (just think of all them dumb tourists), but not to complain about it?

Doesn't seem a very sound business ethos.
Talk is cheap
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

niggle wrote:deliberately ripping people off is wrong and if a bar or elsewhere is doing that, then maybe they deserve to go under.
That's a fair old accusation, but you've made it and you may or may not be affecting their business.
So when exactly are you going down their to make your accusations in person to them ? Date and time please, I wanna come down and watch, should be a laugh.
When Niggle ??

SJ
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

Ok I'm out of here as well.

And by the way dear boy, yes I do know for a fact that it was deliberate.

Lets just hope everyone in business here - including farangs - are not too accepting that ripping people off in Thailand is acceptable.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Come on Caller, I think you know how Thailand, and others like it, work.

Where did I say it was ok ?

SJ
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'm not sure the OP deserves quite the level of mockery he's received, but I have to say I don't much like the idea of any thread that encourages only negative comments about anything.

Nor do I think you can compare bars with supermarkets. I'm not a Bintabaht regular, in fact I can't remember the last time I had a wander round, but it seems to me a bar is a pretty individual, personal experience; one man's meat is another's poison. For example, the OP criticises the P&P bar so strongly that if I were a newcomer I probably wouldn't go there, yet previously I've heard many good things said about the place.

Warn people of the possible problems in general terms by all means, then leave them to find the bars they like.
This is the way
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

I think DM's comments are fair enough and sum up concisely. Would like to add that I'm surprised OP, what were you expecting going into this type of bar anyhow, Gullivers? Let's not be too naive here.

Every bar has supporters and detractors. Depends what floats your boat, or your wallet.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
niggle
Guru
Guru

Post by niggle »

fair point dtaai maai and i accept that I maybe I was too quick to name the bar in question.
In defence this forum is frequently used to tell of rip offs, problems, bad services etc with all kinds of establishments.
Should bars be an exception ??
buksida

Post by buksida »

I'd say most bars in the bintablock area have ripped people off on occasion, some intentional some by accident, so singling one out maybe a little unfair. Most bars on that block have also changed hands more times than an old bank note so a good bar this year maybe a bad one next.

Some on here though will jump on you with the same reaction no matter what you post about if it is negative!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

niggle wrote:Not sure what you mean by using thread for other reasons but at least thank you for a comment without cheap insults
Harming their business in this period, sorry but low season or not, deliberately ripping people off is wrong and if a bar or elsewhere is doing that, then maybe they deserve to go under.
As I stated previously would the earlier respondees have the same reaction if extras were hidden in their bill from Tesco ??
The essence of the post is not about girls, beer or even bars

So calm calm down, its only a comment dear
Niggle, did you ever think that perhaps it was a genuine mistake and the BF was mistakenly put on your Bin.

Did you spot anyone leaving with a lady, smiling because of the fact that when he paid his bin, he had noticed that they had not charged him for his BF.

I can assure you if it happened to me I would not go back and ask them if they had forgotten. Plus it would not have crossed my mind that perhaps someone else had got landed with my bar fine.

You win some you loose some, and seems this night you lost.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Tunes
Novice
Novice

Post by Tunes »

buksida wrote: Some on here though will jump on you with the same reaction no matter what you post about if it is negative!
Which is a massive shame and probably stops many more like myself contributing more often if at all.

I personally think that the reaction the OP received was slightly OTT. Knee jerk slanging matches must be in vogue at the moment or perhaps the OP hit a little too close to the bone.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Have just remembered I had an amusing but not intentional related bin loading happen to me.

I went to Phi Phi Island just before the Tsunami went through there. We stayed at Charlies Guest House on the far side of the far side of the island and had not really done any exploring on the side where all the ferries come in.

So late one afternoon we decided to have a look and see what it was all about, we walked down from the ferry terminal and came across the Western Saloon (was like a theme bar with lots of stools like horses saddles etc). has a few beers there and then went farther past there and came across the beach bar where they used to do all of the fire shows at night (sorry cannot remember the name).

Got two large beers when we arrived and other then myself and my gf, there was one other couple in there.

We were sitting there enjoying the chill out music and just enjoying the ambience of the bar. After a couple more large beers, my gf gets talking to this other couple and they end up joining us at our table.

The guy gets up and gets him and his gf a beer on the way over and we sat and talked for a while, but not getting into rounds of drinks with them.

They leave, and I see them pay the way out. We decided to leave later, and I said to Gf that I will settle up the bin.

When I got to the bar the barman said that it was about 900baht. I remember at the time thinking it was high, but at the time was past caring and really could not be bothered to check the tab.

We left and was halfway up the beach and I mentioned to my Gf what had happened and she said that was way to much and she was going to ask him why so much.

She goes back and what had happened was that the barman thought we were together and put all the drinks that they had from the time they joined us on my bill.

He happily wore the mistake and gave my gf back the extra money that he had charged me.
It was about 400baht that he had charged me instead of the other people.
So as he had admitted the mistake and given my gf the full refund she gave him back half of the money for his honesty in making the mistake.

Only problem was, due to the fact that my gf decided to go back and challenge the bar manger she decided she would keep the other half of the refund, so I still ended up paying anyway.

We went back to the bar one day after that and it was mobbed, my gf went to get the 1st drinks and jokingly pointed out to the manager where we were sitting and we definitely did not want all of the bars drinks on our bill today.
He cracked up and told all the staff what happened the day before and not to charge everyone's drinks to us. We heard his staff giving him a hard time about it every time we went to get drinks after that. It was a standing joke every time we went there.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Tunes wrote:I personally think that the reaction the OP received was slightly OTT. Knee jerk slanging matches must be in vogue at the moment or perhaps the OP hit a little too close to the bone.
That's faie enough tunes, and we'll all calm down by the morning and move onto other things.
A particular business however, now has a black mark against it for all and sundry, newcomers/tourists etc to read on here at any time. Think they've been accused of adding BF to bill if you sit with lady for an hour, high prices, deliberately over-charging on a regular basis, deliberately ripping people off, deserve to go under, has hidden extras on their bills.
Not all my experience of the place AT ALL in 5 years. And only know owner to say hello to, not friends with the bar or anything.

Nice days work done there, we'd be thrilled to bits if that was our business attacked over what may just be 1 or 2 mistakes, or ofcourse deliberate like you find in just about every other part of the country.

SJ
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Super Joe wrote:
Tunes wrote:I personally think that the reaction the OP received was slightly OTT. Knee jerk slanging matches must be in vogue at the moment or perhaps the OP hit a little too close to the bone.
That's faie enough tunes, and we'll all calm down by the morning and move onto other things.
A particular business however, now has a black mark against it for all and sundry, newcomers/tourists etc to read on here at any time. Think they've been accused of adding BF to bill if you sit with lady for an hour, high prices, deliberately over-charging on a regular basis, deliberately ripping people off, deserve to go under, has hidden extras on their bills.
Not all my experience of the place AT ALL in 5 years. And only know owner to say hello to, not friends with the bar or anything.

Nice days work done there, we'd be thrilled to bits if that was our business attacked over what may just be 1 or 2 mistakes, or ofcourse deliberate like you find in just about every other part of the country.

SJ
SJ
I know where you are coming from, personally from my time on this board I have seen several businesses in Hua Hin slated on this board by one time visitors to Hua Hin or even some of the locals that have a personal gripe with a bar or the bar owners.

Ok everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when it becomes a personal snipe at a particular establishment that I think is out of order.

I relation to the OP, all he has said is that he was overcharged on his bin and that was it,

I would like to know did he challenge it or just accept it. If he accepted it, well then in my mind he has no gripe with that place and should not be moaning about his plight on this board

To just accept it is a life's lesson to question things that you are charged for if you think that you have been stiffed.

I posted a funny experience earlier that I could not be bothered to question, but my gf did and was a happy ending on both sides.

If questioned in a civilized manner I am sure I am sure the problem could have been sorted. But can see no evidence of questioning what has happened in what the OP has posted.

My mother always told me that those that do not ask do not get, and Niggle I am sure if you had asked the question, the problem would have been resolved.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
PS SJ, I have no problem with Spurs costing you large notes out of your life savings, just pleaseeeeeeeeeee do not gripe on here about how silly you were and that the world is now against you lol :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
andy778
Amateur
Amateur

Post by andy778 »

If a bar is messing up your bin again and again, I agree, it should be named. But based on one visit and one bin I dont think its fair, we all make mistakes....