beer prices

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
PeteC

Re: beer prices

Post by PeteC »

steve2 wrote:Good to see the return of Carlsberg! Last night I did the rounds on the Bintabaht! I found Carlsberg in three venues and prices varied from 80 to a cool 160 baht each! The U Turn was charging a reasonable 80 baht and the London Bar 160 baht for one Carlsberg! Yes I inquired if this was an error and was told not many people drink it! Why this justifies Soi Cowboy pricing, I don't know? Thay maybe the last beer I'll consume in the London Bar. Even the air-conditioned El Murphy's only charges 105 baht and the entertainment is much better! Check the price before you order in this venue!
I don't know why that is? Carlsberg now owns 50% interest in Beer Lao and they bottle regular Carlsberg in Laos also. With the Asean trade pact, Carlsberg Lao should enter Thailand duty free. However, we have this player/distributor now: http://www.fluidasiapacific.com/ and they're either taking a huge cut of the Carlsberg Lao, or they are importing directly from Denmark. Perhaps the draft is imported and the bottled is from the Laos facility? Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

In a low to medium range hotel (1400 to 2500) at the moment in central BK (Sukumvit soi 20) and a Carlsberg is 90 Bht. How any bar can justify higher than that beats me
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

This Hiton bar is not IN the Hilton but is on the street next door to the HH Brewing Company--They make a good large Tom Collins--price 100b
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Dr

Know it well but not my scene. Prefer Thai and expats to tourists

Each to his own.

I guess from your business point of view it's a prime place to plug BK hospital
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

Dont do much plugging, have a drink,watch the scene below, dont remember ever talking to anybody.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Nice riposte Doc......Richard thinks he is a cut above a tourist and can't resist a cheap shot whenever he can.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

As usual Sateeb, you got it wrong

I am not a cut above anybody except maybe you

I'm saying that I have no desire to sit for a beer in a blatant tourist bar. I'd far rather be in a bar with a mix of people from all walks of life and all nationalities

Been in the bar the Dr. mentioned many times but always with some Thais and friends who wanted to give it a go and we found it boring

Surely we are entitled to air our preferences on this forum or have you decided to change the rules since you joined in July 2011?

Very :( indeed
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Dick....What does it matter how long i have been a member of a Forum? I have lived in Thailand long enough to see an ex pat snob when I see one.

http://www.vitaladvice.com/question/200 ... 029AA6KiPQ
Expat snobbery toward non expats?
Expat snobbery toward non expats? You: Someone who has lived overseas for extended periods or who has extensively traveled overseas. Someone who looks at issues from a cross cultural perspective.

Them: Your friends/family/associates back home or people who you come into contact with on your travels. The typical people who have took only a few vacations in their lifetimes, and those vacations were in the same region that they're from.

Inside, do you feel a bit of snobbery/condescension? Do you find yourself classifying them as "simple" people? Do you feel that generally, the only people who will be able to easily have a free flowing conversation with you, seeing eye to eye, are other expats/people who have traveled extensively?
Submitted: 1009 days ago
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Image Enough children! This thread is about beer prices, now back to it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote:Thanks caller, somebody in the office lives in Trowbridge - I'll ask if they can get me a couple of bottles to try. :cheers:
BB - did you have any luck in getting the Beer Lao?

I know from ths store near me that its not always available, but they did confirm it was on regular order for the foreseeable future. I just finished the last one I had! :cheers:
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, I didn't get any. I'm off food and decent drink for a while now in preparation for my operation (oxo drinks and yoghurt only) - I'm absolutely starving. I'll have to wait until I get to Thailand in April to try it.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Big Boy wrote:oxo drinks and yoghurt only
:shock:

Good luck! :thumb:
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks, 3 days down, 4 to go.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

To all you Brits out there, I was in the old HH shopping mall earlier today and they had Marstons Pedigree at 115 baht for 500ML cans - mine are in the fridge cooling down now, ready for tonight!!!
packie
Amateur
Amateur

Post by packie »

wish i was in hh. ABOUT TO GO FOR A FEW COLD ONES AT HOME, WIND IS HOWLING IN OFF ATLANTIC, cold and wet, LARGER IS €4A POINT (HEINO/CARLSY/GUINNESS/BUD),sorry for caps, would love to wander down the binta, sweating still from walking the beach,knto the limelight or murphys, or that wee rock music bar near hilton.oh miss hh, mis prachuap khiri khan too :__((