[ADVERTORIAL] Souay Vista Social Club

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Alisa
Novice
Novice

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] Souay Vista Social Club

Post by Alisa »

Hi

Does anybody know if there's a blues jam tonight in SV?
Alisa
Novice
Novice

Post by Alisa »

Already figuered out :) Yes, there is :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Errmmm, that will be the one you are playing and singing in then. :tsk:
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Do the Farang, like the Philippinos who play at Poonsuk Plaza and recently in front of MV, get a WP for performing ?

How about any of the performers at SV, do they perform in other places and are they available for hire on nights they are not performing at SV ? (Other than Eddie). :blues:

Man in pub circa 1987.
Alisa
Novice
Novice

Post by Alisa »

Pagey wrote:Errmmm, that will be the one you are playing and singing in then. :tsk:
haha, me surely not :) but my husband probably will if you're nice :cheers:
Alisa
Novice
Novice

Post by Alisa »

We actually like SV a lot. Hopefully there's much more going on now there than during the summertime... we'll see :)
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Yes, maybe Paul can post an updated performance list?

Man in pub circa 1987.
Souay Vista
Rookie
Rookie

music menu

Post by Souay Vista »

The MUSIC MENU for now is roughly as follows:

TUESDAY AND FRIDAY -- basically Blues -- Friday nights is the jam night, and Tuesday is a hodge-podge sort of night. For now the line-up is Kurt Tulikallio as the main man -- he's "Doctor Blues", the virtuoso, and a very charming guy as well!! He sings for most of the songs in the opening (rehearsed) set. I (Paul) do some of the singing as well - mostly for the spontaneous stuff, the wacky requests, old Elvis etc. I play an amped-up acoustic (when I'm not playing drums). Last Friday I played drums for most of the evening because we did not have anybody else to do it. The thing is, I'm not a drummer... so we made it into a bit of comedy. But I am a decent musician, and so I was, for the most part, at least effective.
On the bass we have Freddy Glaser, from Denmark. Freddy is getting back into playing after taking a 20 year hiatus... and he's doing very well!
On Tuesday we are planning to do a good long set of Country Blues -- songs like 'Walkin' After Midnight', 'Midnight Special', some CCR, some Hank, some Rock-a-billy ....

WEDNESDAY, THURSDAY, AND SATURDAY -- We have "WILD WILD WEST" and they are a very good band! With a repertoire that goes on, and on, and on, and on... Tonight they started with a first set of just Country music (and obscure songs too!), then moved into Folk (Peter, Paul and Mary), then a half dozen Blues songs before being joined by Eddi for some Pop and Rock. Last week they were surprised by Tim,
an old friend of SV who is a Reggae player -- so they became a Reggae band! And a good one too!
They have been together for 7 years, so they are tight in everything they do!!

SUNDAY - not sure for the moment. We think we will have a young couple who played a few weeks ago -- if not this Sunday, then very likely the next. So this week at the very least there will be me playing on my acoustic -- maybe joined by Freddy, possibly Kurt as well. If you come, then I'll make sure you have a good time.

MONDAY -- closed - but sometimes open for private parties. These are fun!!
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: music menu

Post by Pagey »

Thanks for the update. :cheers:

Man in pub circa 1987.
Souay Vista
Rookie
Rookie

Re: FRIDAY BLUES JAM @ Souay Vista

Post by Souay Vista »

Hi Everybody

Last night was... (to quote a little Shakespeare) " ... a GAS GAS GAS" !! Whereas last week we had no drummers, last night we had 3! Tony Hills joined for the 1st set (he was the drummer we had w/ the SV Blues Band last year) -- and with Kurt ("Doctor Blues") as the main man, Freddy on bass, me supplying the good looks, and Mike from UK on harmonica, we sounded almost like we practiced before we played. Thomas from Austria, was standing by (& got busy) - he'll play next time. In the 2nd set a couple of Finnish guys played -- Johan on bass (excellent!) and his friend (forget his name) on drums. Then John (UK) got up and helped with the 'free-form' improv part of the night with 'Summertime' and 'When The Saints' -- this guy is perfectly ridiculous! Karstein (Norway) was the sound man, constantly tiddlying up the sound levels and making everybody sound good. (Thanks for that Karstein)

The whole thing was just so much fun!! We had a good crowd, but a whole bunch more of you shoulda been there! Remember-- "If you snooze, you lose!"

We will have Blues on Tuesday ("... Tuesday's just the same..") with the same line-up but with probably Thomas on drums...

And tonight -- it's Saturday!! C'mon out and listen to WILD WILD WEST -- read about them in my previous comment here ( see above).

"...Gonna have some fun tonight!"
See you @ SV.
Souay Vista
Rookie
Rookie

Country @ SV

Post by Souay Vista »

We @ Souay Vista have decided to do a Country Music night on Sundays. We've had many people say that it's their favourite music and why don't we offer it too- and we like it very much as well! But it has been difficult to find local musicians who play this music, so we've decided to go ahead anyway, and see who comes 'out of the woodwork'. If any of you reading this happen to be closet flatpickers, or fiddle players, or just just love to sing - then this will be for you. And we have a rhythm box in case any of you are into slappin'time...

The musicians tonight will be me (Paul) on acoustic guitar w/ vocals, Freddy on bass, and possibly someone we know playing a bit of lead guitar...

So c'mon by, y'hear!!!

See ya tonight
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

sorry have not read the whole thread yet, what are the beer prices like please
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

Hi Paul

Maybe we will bring Aiesha and Kaela around this Friday or Saturday (probably Friday, unless you think Saturday would be better).

Actually the girls want to go just as much for the burgers as for the performing opportunity!

See you at the weekend.

Roy
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Souay Vista
Rookie
Rookie

SV beer prices

Post by Souay Vista »

Our beer prices are reasonable -- between 80 -90 Baht...... And the music and the fun is free!!!
Roel
Guru
Guru

Re: SV beer prices

Post by Roel »

Much better.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.