Breaking a glass in a bar

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Re: Breaking a glass in a bar

Post by chelsea »

Roel wrote:100 Baht is too much charged for one glass: possibly
There are places where they implemented the broken glass scam: possibly

Aragon said:
Things such as breakages should be factored into the cost of doing business, you surely can't expect to run a bar and not have breakages.
Western logic and business practice does not apply here. They argue that you caused material damage (even by accident) and you are liable for the damage.
Sometimes staff is responsible for the damage so if they do not claim from the guest the owner might simply deduct from the salary.

I remember having dinner at one of the seafood restaurants on stilts in Hua Hin on invitation by Thais. One of the children dropped a glass whereupon the Thai called a waitress and asked her to clean it up, he then gave her 50 Baht and told her to put the glass on the bill.

Another example of cultural differences: if you go visit friends in their home and let's say you knock a glass off the table. I think most will agree that it would be polite to offer to clean it up yourself which will most likely be refused and also to pay for the damages. It would then not be uncommon (customary) for the host to kindly refuse to accept any money. I have seen exactly this happen in Thailand (the glass was on the floor of course). Firstly the culprit did not offer to clean the mess herself but immediately ordered the daughter of the host to do so. Secondly she offered (co-incidence) 100 Baht to the host for the glass which was without a blink instantly accepted. The persons involved were sisters and for both 100 Baht is a lot of money.
Korkenzieher wrote: 'Dirtying' of towels was specifically quoted, which in my world is a normal cost of running a hotel.
Regular 'dirtying' is, but in cause of blood or even worse henna tattoo ink the towel cannot be cleaned. So the guests pays for replacement and the hotel should give the dirty towel wrapped to the guest thus ensuring it was not a 'scam'.
In relation to the Tattoo Ink problem, a lot of places I have stayed in Thailand (Budget or 3/4/5 Star) have clear warnings in the rooms that if any ink is found on bed clothes, towels or furniture that the guest is liable for the cost of cleaning and/or replacement, which to me is fair enough.

We normally stay in Serviced Furnished Apartments when we go away in Australia and spilling wine on the carpets and/or furniture/breakages (including glasses, plates, dishes etc) are all chargeable to the customer even if it is deemed an accident. So it is not only in Thailand it happens is some form or other.

I have never been charged for breaking a glass in a pub or when eating out. But have heard of here in Australia that some bars do charge staff for the glasses they break when they are working.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Xtreme
Novice
Novice

Post by Xtreme »

I think you'll find that the owner couldn't care less about the broken glasses, the vomit in the toilets but the managers instruct all staff to charge the customer which in turn goes into the tip box for all to share (in the case of the vomit it's shared by those who clean up).
The staff "presumably" unbeknown to the owners classify these duties as extra curricular, hence the the tip box.

I do like the idea of your own glass as previously posted...getting the 100Bt of the staff if they accidently broke it...55555!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Frederick (pictured below) encountered a costly dilemma whilst whittling away time down the alluring 'Binthabaht' area. His dilemma? Well... he was a frightfully clumsy man by nature. Whether it was at times when the devil's brew had stuck it's claws deep within or when he was sober as a nun - he just couldn't stop breaking those glasses!

After being hit with an all time record of 23 glasses in a night and teetering only slightly above bankruptcy due to glass breakages, he decided to take matters into his own hands (or head as may be the case).

Needless to say Frederick's nifty little idea has put him back into even figures. No longer must he be handed a glass of the finest quality only to be scared bald that he may just shatter this fine crystal to smitherines. Now he simply bends over to the proprietor, a high wai in tow, and asks for a refill.

"It's changed my life", Frederick was reported as saying recently. "There was a big worry at one point that I was going to have to stop frequenting the area". A happy ending for all.