Getting Around Hua Hin After Dark

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

Getting Around Hua Hin After Dark

Post by coloradokid »

I've given up my motorbike after having too many incidents of being cut -off, witnessing accidents and near hits.

I now use the song-tao services to travel from our home near Kao Takiap. For two people to travel to HH the fare is 20 baht. But the return trip is 100 baht. Is there an alternative to taking a tuk-tuk or taxi after dark?

The 100 baht is pricy when I measure it against the 100 baht per day that I rented the motorbike. Is safety here that expensive?
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Getting Around Hua Hin After Dark

Post by Norseman »

coloradokid wrote:I've given up my motorbike after having too many incidents of being cut -off, witnessing accidents and near hits.

I now use the song-tao services to travel from our home near Kao Takiap. For two people to travel to HH the fare is 20 baht. But the return trip is 100 baht. Is there an alternative to taking a tuk-tuk or taxi after dark?

The 100 baht is pricy when I measure it against the 100 baht per day that I rented the motorbike. Is safety here that expensive?
Do you really think 100 baht is expensive when your life is at stake?
(And it is, at that road in the night)!
I would say that you're life is worth far more than a lousy 100 baht.
The sum is close to what you have to pay for 1 drink in any bar man!!!
Get a grip!!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

I agree with your Norsman
I stayed down near Takiab beach earlier this year and whether it was 100baht or 200baht, the cost is irrevalant, if you want to travel into town and go home again there is no option other than the taxi and even then prices are very cheap.
In Perth West Australia, it costs $6.00 AUD before the cab has moved an inch ($4.95 for flag call and $1.00 for phone booking charge).

The food, accomodation and booze is so cheap in Thailand for O/S visitors, the cost of a 100baht taxi ride is small change and should not even come into consideration

People that haggle the Thai's over taxi fares and anything else that they want to buy over there, really piss me off, because most of the time, they really take advantage of the local people there, and are normally very rude in doing so.
If people treated them in their own country like that when they are carrying out their own business, they would class the clients as rude and ignorant.

I would advise that you do what I do, and that is to take the 1st couple of days sussing out some of the guys that run a hire car or a decent Tuk Tuk, explain that you are there for a few weeks or months, and use that guy all the time that you are there.

All of them have mobiles, and if I was out at night, would contact them, say what time I wanted to go home, where I was and they would always turn up, pick me up and take me home. It is amazing what I considered a small tip every so often helped in keeping things going.

Coloradokid, if you cannot afford the 20baht ride into town and then 100baht home, get somewhere closer to town to stay. You did not state if you were travelling on your own, but if there are other people with you in the cab on the way home, just split it between who is with you, that should make it more affordable for you.

Personally, if I was in Thailand and had to worry about whether a 100baht taxi ride is to expensive, I would not bother going in the 1st place as in my mind, I would not be able to afford the holiday in the begining.
:cheers:
coloradokid
Amateur
Amateur

A life is worth more than 100 baht

Post by coloradokid »

Thanks for the replies. I live and work near Kao Takiap. After the rent and utilities are paid I have to make the balance stretch to the end of the month. It is just ironic that after 6:30 a 10 baht ride turns into a 100 baht ride.

It is also ironic that a tuk-tuk or a taxi both charge 100 baht. Yesterday in a tuk-tuk we were passed by a truck hauling dirt or something and the residue in the truck's wake left us gasping for a while. So I prefer the safety and air-conditioning of a taxi.

Are the unmarked Taxi's safe? The last time we hired a taxi in front of the shopping center, my lady was worried that they would find our bodies dumped somewhere along the roadside.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Good advice to find a taxi guy and make a relationship with him.
Ask about his family, buy a little gift now and then for his kids, buy him a beer. :thumb:
You will get good service.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Johnny K, agree with what you said. The beer is a good idea as long as he is not driving me or you or he already dropped us off.
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Hi Coloradokid,
What people have said about making a relationship witha taxi driver is vital. I have a guy who i have used for three years, the other day i ran out of petrol in a rental car. Called my man, he came within 10 minutes with a bottle of petrol, gave him money for that and a beer. He opened it there and we shared it. Really top man. If you want his number pm me.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

chelsea wrote:Johnny K, agree with what you said. The beer is a good idea as long as he is not driving me or you or he already dropped us off.
Yeah, if you're not in a hurry its nice to have a beer with him after the ride. :cheers:
HonoluluJimmy
Banned
Banned

Spot on Chelsea

Post by HonoluluJimmy »

I couldn't agree more. I regularly payh 100 baht for a 3 min ride in Patong just to avoid the street hustle. whilst looking forward to my first HH sortee I will certainly engage in a number of soiree's and will also use tghe TT limo.....Good advice about having a steady driver....I've a number of drug free sober gents tha drive me....Very good Advice...common sense, sure but how many people use common sense in LOS!
I hear that All Kidda has declared war on Thailand. Shite, just the boozer blokes in from the counties in the fight could get off the piss a woop'em good!
lomuamart

Re: Spot on Chelsea

Post by lomuamart »

HonoluluJimmy wrote:I couldn't agree more. I regularly payh 100 baht for a 3 min ride in Patong just to avoid the street hustle. whilst looking forward to my first HH sortee I will certainly engage in a number of soiree's and will also use tghe TT limo.....Good advice about having a steady driver....I've a number of drug free sober gents tha drive me....Very good Advice...common sense, sure but how many people use common sense in LOS!
Absolutely. You really crack me up.
A diksonary might be a good idea :thumb:
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Spot on Chelsea

Post by Norseman »

[quote="HonoluluJimmy"][/quote]

Out of humble curiosity: why are you advertising the Al Jazeera?
Are you against mainstream America or is it some pervert attitude to beheadings that attracts you?
No offend, pure .... as said before.

:guns: :guns: :guns:
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
HonoluluJimmy
Banned
Banned

OUt of respect...

Post by HonoluluJimmy »

For those whom served for PEACE.....I did so, put you toy guns away since a review of you posts indicates you'd like to pick a fight.... :cuss:
I hear that All Kidda has declared war on Thailand. Shite, just the boozer blokes in from the counties in the fight could get off the piss a woop'em good!
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Post by PeteB »

HJ

Do you supply a translation service for your thoughts?

I'm a simple soul and find your posts difficult to follow........

wtf is
:?

This is almost as bad a Dubya, who, when he heard that parts Thailand had been devastated by the Tsunami immediately assumed that the 'Soons' were from the Midle East, declared war on them and tried to get a military appraisal on the strength of their army........:guns:

hmmm

Peter
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Enough already!
This thread is about transportation.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I think that most of the common sense has already been stated here. If you are travelling regularly from Khao Takiap to HH get a relationship with a known guy, eithe Tuk Tuk or Taxi.

I have not ever heard of anybody being abducted by a taxi driver here in Hua Hin.

You can not possibly compare Patong with HH as far as nighttime travelling is concerned.

Another thing which might be a bitter pill to swallow is: if you can not go about at nightime then spend the odd evening at home.

HJ, what the hell are you on? I thought that in Honolulu, as in Hua Hin the only things that grow were pineapples.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]