Bars closed for Wisakha Bucha Day, May 13

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Re: Bars closed for Wisakha Bucha Day, May 13

Post by uncle tom »

Bit more digging..

Looks like there's a statute somewhere supporting the bar closures, although I haven't located the exact chapter and verse, however it also appears that local govt. can make exceptions.

Might be scope for a deal whereby every full moon was a bars open but no music night, with alcohol only served to non-Thais.

- Such a deal would of course be a lot easier to negotiate if the bar owners formed an association... :banghead:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

I think when we go to another country as a tourist or a resident we should accept their culture and rules. If that means the bars closed for the odd night so be it.. I believe it would be unwise for Farangs to get special treatment.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I think when we go to another country as a tourist or a resident we should accept their culture and rules.
Don't disagree with that.

All full moons are spiritual events for Buddhists, so it seems a reasonable trade-off to shut the sound systems on all full moons in return for a modest concession on those moons that are subject to bar closure orders.

The net result would be more respect shown to Buddhist sentiments whilst removing an element that is damaging to the Thai tourist economy.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

I think when we go to another country as a tourist or a resident we should accept their culture and rules.
Absolutely.......
I believe it would be unwise for Farangs to get special treatment.
It's such a pity that Western Governments....... Do not share those sentiments......
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

None of the bars near me were shut. Rarely are whatever the restrictions unless they fancy a day off. Tourists can just grab a taxi or tuk tuk and ask to go somewhere they can have a drink and something to eat. Never far away. Spent most of the afternoon having a libation with the police from the communication centre down the road after a couple at other bars in the area. Then purchased some wine from the beer wholesale outlet on the Palau road and had a lovely dinner at home.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Crazy 88
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Where is 'near me' crazy 88?
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

dundrillin wrote:I think when we go to another country as a tourist or a resident we should accept their culture and rules. .
Oh! Just like the UK and the rest of Europe.!!!!!!!! :banghead:
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thailand (Land of the Free) which supports freedom of religion etc etc. It is not a Budhist country in the same way as Malaysia is a Muslim country. Saying that, we do not only have to respect Budhism but we should respect ALL religions.

On May 13th which was a religious holiday, I had a drink in Market Village, Sport Villa (both high profile) as well as several bar/restaurants out of town.

There is one particular restaurant on the beach where on a Political Day, I say "Can I get a drink" the response is "Of course, you can't vote" and on a religious day the response to the same question is "Of course. You're not a Buddhist"
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Oakdale

5-10 minutes from town if you are "Driving miss Daisy" pace up at the top of soi 88. Plenty of nice little eateries and bars around here. Bit more rural but nobody has tried to sell me a half dead rose or a wooden frog or charged me twice for a warm beer within 5km of my house in the last 8 years.

Crazy 88
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Alcohol is a definite no no to real Buddhists but then again TiT and Thais only Buddhist because they are indoctrinated to it.
The Five Precepts
The Buddhist Golden Rule
By His Royal Highness the late Supreme Patriarch Prince Vajirananavaroras

1. To abstain from taking the lives of living beings. (Thais eat meat and fish)
2. To abstain from taking that which is not given. (ha ha what a joke in Thailand)
3. To abstain from sexual misconduct. (OMG in Thailand)
4. To abstain from telling falsehoods. (ditto)
5. To abstain from distilled and fermented intoxicants, which are the occasion for carelessness
(which also includes drugs). (what more can I say)
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali