Vicious Thai gangs at Songkran

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
Big Boy

Re: Vicious Thai gangs at Songkran

Post by Big Boy »

Homer wrote:I'm outta here. Anyone who didn't notice and understand why you had to reach back for a post of mine to quote instead of quoting the most recent one isn't worth writing for. Those who do understand know why you didn't quote this one:
Homer wrote:Actions speak louder than words.
Homer, I answered a simple post, which you were doubting, confirming the information you claimed was lacking, was in fact there. I explained that I did not know how to post such a Facebook link, but showed you what my browser address bar was showing. I explained that I had considered PMing you, but the PM system does not support photographs. Your response throughout has basically been liar, liar, liar.

No, if you can't be arsed, then please live with your head in the sand.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Homer wrote: I'm outta here.
Oh I do hope so.
This has certainly been a very strange series of doubting replies on what appears to have been a genuinely nasty incident that nobody else seems to doubt happened, just one strange guy.
Nothappyjan

Post by Nothappyjan »

I cannot believe that people like Homer actually exist, the word goose comes freely to mind.
hidinginhin
Amateur
Amateur

Post by hidinginhin »

I was in the Bintabart on Tuesday night and it was so busy, it became a bit scary with the amount of people walking through. I escaped into a bar opposite Murphys and decided to sit it out until it became manageable. The crush was a real concern, no-one was moving. My girlfriend had her waterproof bag attached to her neck wripped off, either on purpose or accident and she didn't know till later.
I went the toilet and when I came out the bar had been swamped in people. Apparently a street fight had started between rival young thai gangs near to Havanna and Panama bar (which were wisely left shut) bottles were thrown and the people panicked and ran into the nearest bars. My girlfriend ended up climbing onto the side were you place your drink, clinging onto a pole.
To finish the night off we were riding the bike home near to the night market by the railway and I noticed a couple of young thais park there bike quickly on the side of the road. One got off and walked across the road not far in front of me. At the last second as he was half way across he turned and flicked paint straight at my eyes. Luckily not much went into my eyes as I ducked and turned my head. I looked in the daylight and both our helmets, the bike and our clothes were coated in thick white paste. I am convinced that this was attempt to make me crash so they could make off with the bike. It is not the norm to throw paint, just smear it across someones cheeks.
In future I will be keeping my visor down and leaving Songkran till the second night of festivities when things are not quite so manic.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

U.S. - well done on confronting the ar*sewipes and perhaps saving the victims from a far worse outcome.
You're certainly a hero in my eyes.
It's pretty shocking that you were the only one to step-in though considering how many foreigners would be in that area at the time.
Good luck with the recovery (see you tomorrow?) and same to the family attacked.
GN.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Here is a statement made by Hua Hin Police Station yesterday on this and other scaremonger reporting that has been going on over the last few days:
เเจ้งประกาศ จาก สภ.หัวหิน

สืบเนื่องจากกรณีการส่งต่อข่าวสารในทางโลกโซเซี่ยล มีเดีย ทางเฟสบุคส์ เเละกลุ่มไลน์ กรณีการเเจ้งข่าวสารว่าจะเกิดเหตุการณ์รุนเเรงในพื้นที่หัวหิน เเละจุดที่มีนักท่องเที่ยวหนาเเน่นนั้น ทางสถานีตำรวจภูธรหัวหิน ขอชี้เเจงดังนี้...

- สืบเนื่องจากเกิดเหตุการณ์ความรุนเเรงในต่างประเทศบ่อยครั้ง ทั้งในกรุงบรัสเซลล์ ประเทศเบลเยี่ยม เเละเหตุการณ์ความไม่สงบในช่วงเทศกาลต่าง ๆ ในประเทศไทย ทางคณะรักษาความสงบเเห่งชาติ จึงได้เพิ่มมาตรการเฝ้าระวังการเกิดเหตุการณ์เเละความรุนเเรงในพื้นที่จุดเสี่ยง ทั่วประเทศไทย ในพื้นที่หัวหิน ภายใต้การดูแลของสถานีตำรวจภูธรหัวหิน จึงได้รับคำสั่งโดยตรง ให้ประสาน เเละ สนธิกำลัง ทั้งหน่วยปกครอง , ทหาร , กองกำกับการปฏิบัติการพิเศษ(อินทรี๗) เพิ่มมาตรการเฝ้าระวัง ด้วยการตั้งจุดตรวจ จุดสกัด ตามแผนรักษาความปลอดภัยที่มี พร้อมทั้งตรวจเอกสาร เเละหนังสือเดินทาง ต่างชาติทุกคน เพื่อตรวจสอบสถานะการอยู่เกินของบุคคลต่างด้าวในราชอาณาจักร เเละด่านพรมแดนเข้า-ออกของประเทศไทย

ดังนั้น ข้อมูลข่าวสารที่ส่งต่อนั้น เป็นการขยายความเกินข้อเท็จจริงที่มีอยู่ เเละสร้างความตื่นตระหนกโดยไม่จำเป็น ประชาชนในเขตเมืองหัวหิน สามารถใช้ชีวิตได้ตามปกติ...

สภ.หัวหิน..
๑๕ เมษายน ๒๕๕๙
My (Google) Interpretation is

- This gang attack did take place, but it isn't terrorist related.

- There have been many Social Media reports of bomb threats/attacks. Basically threats have been received, and as a result the security presence has been increased. However, NO attack has been made.

Hopefully this clarifies the situation.

If anybody has a better interpretation of the statement, it would be welcome.

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I don't see where it says a gang attack took place. It's more of a general security announcement in the face of social media reports.

Other than that I agree with the gist of the main body of your interpretation.

The announcement's last paragraph states that the social media reports are exaggerated and likely to cause unnecessary alarm. And reassuringly: "The people of Muang Hua Hin are able to go about their usual lives".
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ It also mentions checking all foreigner's passports and looking for overstay. "พร้อมทั้งตรวจเอกสาร เเละหนังสือเดินทาง ต่างชาติทุกคน เพื่อตรวจสอบสถานะการอยู่เกินของบุคคลต่างด้าว"
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote:I don't see where it says a gang attack took place. It's more of a general security announcement in the face of social media reports.
OK, sorry and thank you - I did say my translator was not perfect.

Points 41; Position 18
surferdave
Amateur
Amateur

Post by surferdave »

Any more incidents reported, last night or night before, all the time i,ve been here and before never seen or heard of anything like this happening, but having said that, iv,e allways been in the friendly part of thailand Isaan. :guns:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've not heard of anything. This is the first time I've heard of it here - very out of character.

Thai on Thai is not unusual, and even this morning of the news Mrs BB was pointing out the over night violence in Kalasin, which is in the heart of FRIENDLY ISAAN (Thai on Thai).

Points 41; Position 18
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:
hhinner wrote:I don't see where it says a gang attack took place. It's more of a general security announcement in the face of social media reports.
OK, sorry and thank you - I did say my translator was not perfect.
Sorry for what? Not your fault Google translate is practically useless for Thai to English.
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Should'n't the police be patrolling Bin Tabat that time of night? Ah well, TOT.
The thing for us farangs to do is to go home before midnight. After midnight you are on your own, and open prey.
A friend is only one click away
Lung Per
Legend
Legend

Post by Lung Per »

Should'n't the police be patrolling Bin Tabat that time of night? Ah well, TOT.
The thing for us farangs to do is to go home before midnight. After midnight you are on your own, and open prey.

Viscious gangs attacking farangs late night is not limited to Sonkran. This happens every night.
:guns:
A friend is only one click away
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Lung Per wrote:
Viscious gangs attacking farangs late night is not limited to Sonkran. This happens every night.
In Hua Hin? Is this so? If so, things have really taken a bad turn since I left 8 years ago. Sad, really.