Soi Selakam

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Soi Selakam

Post by uncle tom »

Soi Selakam, for those who don't know, is the next Soi north parallel to Soi Bintabaht and forms part of the quadrant known as the Bintablock.

It is a narrow Soi, often cluttered with bikes and very difficult to get cars down. Some establishments thrive in the Soi, but one or two struggle to gain traction.

So why not make it a second walking street, with all motorised vehicles (including bikes) banned between sunset and 1a.m.? The unnamed alley connecting it to Bintabaht, sometimes known as Soi Katoey, could also be included.

This would allow the bars and restaurants to spill out into the Soi at night, and make the whole atmosphere much more inviting.

It would require little extra effort to provide, as those managing the Bintabaht scheme could simply have their duties extended.

(I am writing this incidentally, six months after last being there - so if anything of note has happened since then, please chime in..)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Gus
Guru
Guru

Re: Soi Selakam

Post by Gus »

The girls who 'work bar' need the motorised food vendors to keep coming around Bintablock with their goodies or else they'd starve. :)
Plus I buy some fruit and the occasional Fried Chicken piece when I am in HH. :)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To me, it would make sense to create a walking horseshoe i.e. include the road past Panama to the 5 street junction.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Surface the area where the restaurant were demolished and allow the carts to park there.

On a connected issue--Have you seen those massive double-decker buses full of Chinese trying to get down to the entrance of the Hilton.
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

Surface the area where the restaurant were demolished and allow the carts to park there.
Is that area still desolate? I know a bit about the official - and unofficial.. - reasons for the restaurants' demolition, but failing to reallocate or even tidy the site was very disappointing. What would it cost the temple just to clear the tiles and close the open drain, to make their frontage a little tidier?

It seems a sensible place for a bike park.

The food carts could be encouraged to use Poonsuk. There's a big problem in that Soi with cars using it as a rat run. There should be another opening made in the central barrier on the main drag to allow northbound traffic to turn right one block up from the clock tower, as the lack of one forces large numbers of vehicles to squeeze past tourists on Poonsuk..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly...
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

uncle tom wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:15 pm There should be another opening made in the central barrier on the main drag to allow northbound traffic to turn right one block up from the clock tower, as the lack of one forces large numbers of vehicles to squeeze past tourists on Poonsuk..
I don't know if it was official, but that gap was in fact there this afternoon, causing absolute chaos with cars making u-turns there.

Points 41; Position 18
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

oakdale160 wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:22 am Surface the area where the restaurant were demolished and allow the carts to park there.

And what about bike park ? ? ?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:24 am To me, it would make sense to create a walking horseshoe i.e. include the road past Panama to the 5 street junction.
Everybody like to buy from the motorised food vendors, while sitting in a bar. Walking to the demolished area doesn't make sense.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why? :?

Points 41; Position 18
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

All your proposals require thinking, planning and execution so we know that they will not be implemented. TIT
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:21 pm All your proposals require thinking, planning and execution so we know that they will not be implemented. TIT
Luckily all those distorted farang proposals will not be taken in consideration.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

But don't despair, Uncle Tom, sitting there in Cambridgeshire and working on urban improvement projects for HH. Your ideas are always stimulating and talking of getting stimulated when is your next visit??
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

when is your next visit?
I usually fly out on NYE these days - cheap ticket, half empty plane and no delays at BKK..
uncle tom
Ace
Ace

Post by uncle tom »

I don't know if it was official, but that gap was in fact there this afternoon, causing absolute chaos with cars making u-turns there.
Needs another set of lights. That said, it's not that much of a detour for traffic to turn right at Soi 55, the traffic crawling down Poonsuk can't be saving much time.

Perhaps the powers that be could be impressed up on to put an evening width restriction on Poonsuk to limit vehicle width to that of a tuk tuk..
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

U Tom-- you've been away too long, you have forgotten--- REGULATIONS & ENFORCEMENT OF REGULATIONS --there is no connection