The Car Challenge

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.

Would a Challenge thread about automobiles be of interest?

Poll ended at Mon May 20, 2013 6:03 am

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 27

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy »

pe7e wrote:Challenge 1

Unless I'm very much mistaken and going senile in my old age, the car is a Swallow Doretti from the 50's, They're a British built car with aluminium bodywork by swallow coachworks, (they also made rather grand baby prams) and triumph TR engine and rolling chassis parts. I used to own one of these cars back in 1967, mine was two tone black over silver, not hideous yellow. :shock:
You obviously missed the above answer:
Dannie Boy wrote:As it's my bed time, I've decided to end the guessing game and name Challenge 1

It is a 1951 Siata Daina 1400 Gran Sport (and I admit that I had never heard of this marque before)

Based on the Fiat 1400, the Daina or Gran Sport is a carefully crafted special. It was the largest of the models offered by Siata and featured simple aluminum bodywork by Stabilimenti Farina.

At their Turin facility, Siata beefed up the Fiat 140 with extra cross members and reduced the drive shaft length. They also retained the standard Fiat suspension setup with double wishbones up front.

In this chassis was fitted with a Fiat 1400cc engine that had a unique over-head valve arrangement that was unique to Siata. Also fitted was Weber Carburetors that raised the stock power from 60 to 72 bhp. This was attached to the stock 4-speed manual or a custom Siata 5-speed box.

Later, this model was replaced by cars fitted with the Fiat 'Ottu Vu' V8 engine.

Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/529.html# ... OwRRMw1.99
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The motorcycle photo was taken in Thailand as evidenced by the Thai license plate, and the associated article.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

...........................aluminium bodywork by swallow coachworks, (they also made rather grand baby prams) and triumph TR engine and rolling chassis parts
Er, no. Up until the 6 cyclinder car in 1967 (which came from the 2000 series sedan), the cars used a 4 cyclinder engine built by Standard Motors Co. of Coventry. A wet sleeve engine of 2 litres it was the same engine as used in the Ferguson tractor. :thumb:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

A wet sleeve engine of 2 litres it was the same engine as used in the Ferguson tractor.
A surprising number of those early Ferguson TE20 tractors are still in use in the UK, they go on for ever and I imagine there's probably quite a few of them in Australia and New Zealand as well.
They were also the first vehicles to be driven to the South Pole:
http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/media/photo ... e-tractors
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

A surprising number of those early Ferguson TE20 tractors are still in use in the UK, they go on for ever and I imagine there's probably quite a few of them in Australia and New Zealand as well.
My Father used to perch me up on the first one we had when I was about 8 or 9 years old to feed out the hay for the cows. I could not reach the pedals, so he used to stand alongside and let the clutch in by hand. :shock:
I have restored a couple of them over the years, this one before I retired a few years ago while my Father was still alive.
DSC00061.JPG
DSC00061.JPG (72.12 KiB) Viewed 465 times
DSC00063.JPG
DSC00063.JPG (64.34 KiB) Viewed 465 times
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Nereus wrote:
...........................aluminium bodywork by swallow coachworks, (they also made rather grand baby prams) and triumph TR engine and rolling chassis parts
Er, no. Up until the 6 cyclinder car in 1967 (which came from the 2000 series sedan), the cars used a 4 cyclinder engine built by Standard Motors Co. of Coventry. A wet sleeve engine of 2 litres it was the same engine as used in the Ferguson tractor. :thumb:
Where did I say it had a 6 cylinder engine? I said it had a TR engine, I missed out the 2 (typo) all the triumph TR series cars up to and including the TR4 had 4 cylinder engines. The first TR with a 6 cylinder engine was the TR5
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

prcscct wrote:The motorcycle photo was taken in Thailand as evidenced by the Thai license plate, and the associated article.
I must admit I didn't read the article, I based my guess of the location on the architecture in the background, it doesn't look very Thai to me. I'm still pretty sure it's a James MT125 however, the exhaust pipe balance box gives it away. Single cylinder small bore two strokes with twin exhausts are a bit of a rarity, I did need to clean the photo up in GIMP before I could see it clearly. Initially I thought the bulge in front of the engine was a magneto, and the engine was bigger than it is, although the size of the front brake indicated different.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pe7e wrote:
Nereus wrote:
Where did I say it had a 6 cylinder engine? I said it had a TR engine, I missed out the 2 (typo) all the triumph TR series cars up to and including the TR4 had 4 cylinder engines. The first TR with a 6 cylinder engine was the TR5
I must admit I didn't read the article,
Seems you did not read what I posted either. :?
The engine was made by Standard Motor Co, as I posted.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:
Where did I say it had a 6 cylinder engine? I said it had a TR engine, I missed out the 2 (typo) all the triumph TR series cars up to and including the TR4 had 4 cylinder engines. The first TR with a 6 cylinder engine was the TR5[/quote]
I must admit I didn't read the article,
Seems you did not read what I posted either. :?
The engine was made by Standard Motor Co, as I posted.[/quote]
I think you're both saying the same - the Swallow Doretti was fitted with the same engine as in the TR2 i.e. made by Standard which later became Triumph.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

After a lot of searching I've finally found a pic of a restored James 125MT
Attachments
james 125mt.jpg
james 125mt.jpg (184.49 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

A new car challenge of a fairly rare and valuable car.
Attachments
image.jpg
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

pe7e wrote:After a lot of searching I've finally found a pic of a restored James 125MT
I should have known. My first bike was a James 125 :oops:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Mine was a 197cc Villiers 9E engined SUN motorcycle (with a bent frame) Happy Days, Scary corners.
Last edited by pe7e on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pe7e

Post by pe7e »

Dannie Boy wrote:A new car challenge of a fairly rare and valuable car.
Looks like a 1930's Jaguar SS to me, being a huge Jag fan I would have loved to have owned one, but sadly never have.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pe7e wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote:A new car challenge of a fairly rare and valuable car.
Looks like a 1930's Jaguar SS to me, being a huge Jag fan I would have loved to have owned one, but sadly never have.
Well spotted, it is indeed a 1933 SS100 2.5 litre roadster and like you, I would love to have owned one but a bit out of my price league.

Ok another challenge to follow.