The Car Challenge

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Post Reply

Would a Challenge thread about automobiles be of interest?

Poll ended at Mon May 20, 2013 6:03 am

Yes
23
85%
No
4
15%
 
Total votes: 27

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:17 am

Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:47 am
Vital Spark wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:42 pm
Is the absolutely gorgeous green one a Sunbeam something?

VS
I’m afraid not VS
To give a clue, the manufacturer was based in Coventry

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7293
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Nereus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:38 am

Looks like a Daimler Dart on steroids, or had a Botox injection! Or the result of a dirty weekend away with a Thunderbird! :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7293
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Nereus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am

To give a clue, the manufacturer was based in Coventry
Was it built by David Brown? Maybe not put into production.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:29 am

Nereus wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:05 am
To give a clue, the manufacturer was based in Coventry
Was it built by David Brown? Maybe not put into production.
Answers to both posts Nereus, the answer is no in both cases. I must admit that they are not standard production cars and I don’t think I’ve seen them before

robcar
Professional
Professional
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:28 am

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by robcar » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am

Sending the memory into overload here. They look like Alvis'. Good old Coventry car maker. My dad had an old one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Car ... ng_Company

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:20 pm

robcar wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:53 am
Sending the memory into overload here. They look like Alvis'. Good old Coventry car maker. My dad had an old one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Car ... ng_Company
Afraid not, at least not according to Autocar

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 pm

I think this is proving to be difficult so here’s the second if the two cars, the not so graceful looking one:

1955 Jaguar XK140 Coupe – coachwork by Michelotti

This barn find car was damaged in a crash in 1957 and sent to coachbuilder Michelotti for a facelift. The car was sold at auction in aid of charity for £315,438. The buyer was Jaguar Land Rover, which intends to restore the car to its former glory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7293
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Nereus » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:15 pm

If the green car is not a standard production car, then it looks like a Sunbeam Tiger with some modifications.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Nereus wrote:If the green car is not a standard production car, then it looks like a Sunbeam Tiger with some modifications.
Ok this is obviously a bit difficult as I have never seen either car before until published in Autocar a few days ago, the green car is:

1958 Jaguar XK150 Coupe, coachwork by Ghia-Aigle

Based on the XK150 of 1957-61, this two-door was designed by Pietro Frua with coachwork from the Swiss firm Ghia Aigle. 


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnum
Specialist
Specialist
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:57 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by magnum » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 am

Is the blue one a AC

User avatar
Dannie Boy
Addict
Addict
Posts: 5204
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:12 pm
Location: Closer to Cha Am than Hua Hin

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Dannie Boy » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:59 am

magnum wrote:
Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:00 am
Is the blue one a AC
Dannie Boy wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:37 pm
I think this is proving to be difficult so here’s the second if the two cars, the not so graceful looking one:

1955 Jaguar XK140 Coupe – coachwork by Michelotti

This barn find car was damaged in a crash in 1957 and sent to coachbuilder Michelotti for a facelift. The car was sold at auction in aid of charity for £315,438. The buyer was Jaguar Land Rover, which intends to restore the car to its former glory.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7293
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Nereus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 am

Here's an easy one for Pete. This car is a production car, not some designers stuffed up fantasy.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
1-005.jpg
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

User avatar
PeteC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21870
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:58 am
Location: All Blacks training camp

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by PeteC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:40 am

Same no?...or close. My older daughter owns this one. Pete :cheers:
phpActhogPM.jpg
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

User avatar
PeteC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 21870
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:58 am
Location: All Blacks training camp

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by PeteC » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:22 am

If that red one is a Sunbeam Tiger he's done something to it, or it's a fiberglass body kit. Look at the fender areas over the wheels bubbled out, and the door frame dips. That's not factory standard IMO. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source

User avatar
Nereus
Addict
Addict
Posts: 7293
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Location: Hua Hin and Bangkok

Re: The Car Challenge

Post by Nereus » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:50 am

No, its not a Sunbeam, Pete. But your daughter sure has a rare car there!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: arcadianagain, dtaai-maai and 2 guests