Surf 102.5 FM Hua Hin Local Radio

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
buksida

Post by buksida »

dantone wrote: Didn't you even consider, you MORON, of my real intention of knowing the location of Surf FM? What an IDIOT you are.
May have helped if you'd have told us your intentions.

Those that have listened what do you think of the audio stream? We are still experimenting with bitrates and bandwidth, unfortunately though most of what we're trying to do is limited by the crappy internet connections available in Hua Hin.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dantone
Novice
Novice

Post by dantone »

I was and still am very interested in visiting Surf's studios and meeting the crew. This is a genuine intention. It was already a disappointment members here continued with their posts and replies on matters unrelated to my post. It was like they did not even see my post. A simple post saying, "Sorry mate, we don't know Surf's location," would have been okay. Then came Guess' post. Somehow, Guess was so creative in his reply to my inquiry, not considering that I was genuinely looking for Surf's address. To somebody serious about finding out about something, to somebody serious about getting some assistance -- it is very disappointing (annoying in fact) to get a comical reply. Like I wrote earlier, a simple, "Sorry, we don't know" would have sufficed and appreciated.
Radio
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:
Those that have listened what do you think of the audio stream?
When its working, the station is fine. Unfortunately, it is apparrent that you are having some teething problems - service is down at the moment eg:

1. We had the day when some guy was interrupting with his world news every 2 minutes across the top of the music.

2. The service often experiences long pauses (up to a minute), and then starts again.

3. As at this moment in time, there are periods when the service is not available.

I am off work sick this week, so am spending a lot of time playing with my PC. When its working, I've got Surf working in the background, so I am giving it a real good test.

The one thing that has surprised me (or at least I've not heard it yet) is that there is no local news or weather.

The biggest plus to date is that there are very few adverts (probably not that good for you guys trying to obtain sponsorship), and this means that the station plays about 95% music - about 50% more than any similar UK station I've tried.

Regarding the choice of music, with the exception of Kate Bush, I'm not really into anything special - it is just background music for me. However, I've not heard anything yet that makes me think I've got to turn it off.

Keep up the good work and try to iron out those bugs - be assured, I'll be listening this week - when you're broadcasting across the net.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

dantone wrote:It was already a disappointment members here continued with their posts and replies on matters unrelated to my post. It was like they did not even see my post.
Fair enough, but this reaction seems a bit OTT to me:
dantone wrote:Clap, clap clap! Well done! You've been very helpful. Very nice sense of humor, indeed.
Didn't you even consider, you MORON, of my real intention of knowing the location of Surf FM? What an IDIOT you are.
Not bad for your second post - how to win friends & influence people!

As for the radio station, why didn't you just follow Buksida's link and try the "Contact Us" section on the Surf FM website?

http://www.surfhuahin.com

While you're at it you could try asking for a 'chill-zone' show to calm you down. :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I'm feeling a bit sheepish posting in between Jaime's and dantone's discussion, but here goes anyway.................

I don't know it you guys at Surf FM realise it, but the web service is very poor today. The longest I've been able to keep it running is 6mins 10secs.

If you'd like me to maintain some kind of log over the next couple days, let me know (I've got nothing better to do at the moment - nothing worse than being off sick from work when you're not actually very well!)

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: I don't know it you guys at Surf FM realise it, but the web service is very poor today. The longest I've been able to keep it running is 6mins 10secs.
90% of these problems are ISP related, I can barely open pages today so it will be a small miracle if the stream is running.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

dantone wrote:I was and still am very interested in visiting Surf's studios and meeting the crew. This is a genuine intention. It was already a disappointment members here continued with their posts and replies on matters unrelated to my post. It was like they did not even see my post. A simple post saying, "Sorry mate, we don't know Surf's location," would have been okay. Then came Guess' post. Somehow, Guess was so creative in his reply to my inquiry, not considering that I was genuinely looking for Surf's address. To somebody serious about finding out about something, to somebody serious about getting some assistance -- it is very disappointing (annoying in fact) to get a comical reply. Like I wrote earlier, a simple, "Sorry, we don't know" would have sufficed and appreciated.
dantone,
In addition to Jaime's helpful post, I would like to point out that if you spend much time on here you will get to know Guess as being our resident 'clown' (for want of a better word!). He does post useful stuff, but will often brighten our day with a bit of humour. So rather than giving you a plain 'I don't know' he wrote something more imaginative.
There is also another side to this; it is possible that the Surf guys would rather this info was not generally available, for one or two reasons. I know that they are planning to move to another location at some point to improve the broadcast, so they may not want to reveal where they are now because they might not be soon; plus they may not want people just 'dropping in' on them for a variety of reasons. As Jaime suggested, contact them directly through their website (which also does not give an address) to ask them.
I hope that helps.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

dantone wrote: Didn't you even consider, you MORON, of my real intention of knowing the location of Surf FM? What an IDIOT you are.
I don't want to get into a slagging off contest here and I appologise if offence was intended, but let me put you straight about a few facts of life.

Do you really think that a total stranger submittting to a forum without any profile details supplied is going to get a direct answer to a question like that. I sugest you try any other site and ask, as a newbie, what their address is and see if you get an immediate response. There are issues of security involved here for those who work for the station for free.

If you read the whole thread you will find a whole load of comical banter so surely it would make sense to have written off my reply as such and ignored it.

Of course the possibility that the request was genuine was considered but the approach you used made it seem unlikely not only to myself but to everybody else I spoke to regarding the post. Your response to me still leaves me with suspicions and if anything has increased them.

Why did you not PM one of the guys that is obviously directly involved with Surf FM, (in fact if you read the forum you will find one who clearly states that he runs the station) and express your intentions where the request could have been dealt with by someone representing the station. You find someone who is definitely not a MORON or IDIOT like you have accused me of being. BTW you should try looking those words up in a dictionary. A Moron or an Idiot by definition could not have made the reply that I did.

Your OTT response has done you absolutely no favours whatsover in your genuine request, whatever that may be, if that is indeed what it is, and your posting is reminiscent of posts made in the past by subversive members of the community whose motives are far from what they claim.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Surf FM

Post by Surf FM »

Jaime wrote:Any progress on the ex-pat life commentary or travel type show that was mooted?
A talk show, local news and the like are planned. We're working hard on getting everything sorted and working properly i.e. internet, new equipment, moving office/studio. Once these things are running smoothly we can focus on content.

As buksida says, our stream is dependant on the local ISP's and anyone who has used the internet in Hua Hin will know that most services are unrealiable to say the least. At the moment we're running on ipstar which is supposed to be very good but quite frankly is bobbins (to quote Dr Dave).
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Sorry if this has been covered before. But the topic is getting a bit long to trawl back through once again.

My radio reception and my IP over winamp reception are out of sync. What is the delay and which comes frst.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Wanderlust wrote:.......... you will get to know Guess as being our resident 'clown' (for want of a better word!).
And there is me thinking that you were a man of more than limited vocabulary. Perhaps that was just a Freudian Slip that was triggered by some memory of the obnoxious Yung character who use to post regularly on this forum. I put him straight on the defintion aswell.

A clown is an artist of the performing arts sector. I am no artist. That would be a compliment. There are many more suitable words but satirist in this context comes to mind. Try checking both out before comment though. These comments are only based on my understanding of English not from research sites or dictionaries.

What is needed round here is a bit more sense of humour. Off course some humour can be satirical and newbies can get offended until they get the full picture. How many times have we seen that. Having a laugh is not only an enjoyable experience but is good for the psyche and the mind and sanity.

Anyway I have already made my to response to dantone but did not notice this before I sent it.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Guess wrote: My radio reception and my IP over winamp reception are out of sync. What is the delay and which comes frst.
There is about a 60 second delay from the station to the stream, if you are on a crap connection the buffering will increase this. The gerbils running down the cables with cheeks stuffed full of data get stuck now and then.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:
90% of these problems are ISP related, I can barely open pages today so it will be a small miracle if the stream is running.
The gerbils running down the cables with cheeks stuffed full of data get stuck now and then.
For your information, since my last posting, the service has been uninterrupted for the last 110 minutes - looking forward to listening to Randy at 1 o'clock (UK Time) - never heard his show yet.

Points 48; Position 20
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

The young persons' music coming out of my speaker is, I am informed by my much younger colleague, someone called Dizzy Rascal. There is either a problem with Randy's rock show or we are an hour out with our time differences.

In any event it has had the effect of my colleague considering me to be 'down and with it with the kids.'
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

buksida wrote:
There is about a 60 second delay from the station to the stream, if you are on a crap connection the buffering will increase this. The gerbils running down the cables with cheeks stuffed full of data get stuck now and then.
Right I'll get my cat trained up right away.

As for the delay it is not a problem but I think I need, for many reasons, to get an FM receiver and plug into into my amp downstairs.

Now that raises another question. I do not have any spare sockets and am already using two three way switches into two amp inputs. What I would like is a more sophisticated piece of kit that could take feeds from about eight or ten inputs (some videoa and audio, some just audio) and be switchable into one. That way I can use the single input to the amp from the VCD player which is most used and then all the other inputs feed to the switch which in turn feeds to the other socket in the amp.

I have seen a fourway piece of kit in Hua Hin but nothing larger. Now I canot even get the three way switch (mai mee).

Any ideas or do I have to get the solerding iron out and make one?