Review - Prince at the 02 Arena, London, Sat 11 Aug 07

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Review - Prince at the 02 Arena, London, Sat 11 Aug 07

Post by Jaime »

Like many others I was excited to simply be in the same building as the legend formerly known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince but now simply called Prince. Mrs Jaime, myself and four friends had been eagerly awaiting this gig since waking up to the fact that we had actually been able to get tickets for what promised to be Prince's historic, month long residency at the 02; the venue formerly known as The Millennium Dome.

The lights went down just as we were taking our seats – front row in the upper tier – and we had a fantastic view right on top of the stage, which was laid out in the round and shaped in the form of the wee man’s squiggle insignia. To be fair there is probably not a bad seat in the house.

As the opening bars of Purple Rain rang out the 20,000 fans literally screamed in delight and it was hard not to imagine that I had been transported back to the days of Beatlemania. At the end of that opening track and a faultless guitar solo the crowd was mesmerised. A surprising choice for the opening song we all thought – surely that would be his finale as it had been at The Superbowl - but truly breathtaking nevertheless.

As the evening went on though, I realised that Purple Rain must actually have been the encore from the previous show because I then endured (and I mean endured) the most tiresome couple of hours for many a year. I use the word tiresome deliberately because Mrs Jaime had to be prodded awake not once but twice during the show. Despite the quality of the seating and the scale of the arena, one crucial aspect of the 02 lets it down - the acoustics. They were so bad at the upper levels that it was almost impossible to discern what was being played as drum and base drowned everything, including the purple pixie’s singing. Even when Prince tried to communicate with his public, his yelps, like the music, were deconstructed into a sequence of unintelligible echoes that boomed around the venue. It reminded me of being in a bad 1980’s disco or possibly gave an insight into how it must feel if locked inside the boot of a chav's Vauxhall Corsa with sound system on at full blast. Absolutely shocking and for such a boldly heralded event, completely unforgivable. This is something that Prince’s people and the 02 need to address and quickly.

Having said that, those down in the pit seemed to be having the party of their lives and checking out some bloggers’ reviews it seems that it is only 50% of the audience that are unable to discern anything. Only 10,000 people a night then. Then again, some of the dedicated Prince sycophants would have clapped and cheered “geniusâ€
Last edited by Jaime on Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Maybe that is why he just give away for free his records.
Nobody want to buy?
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
PAINTER01

WORST GIGS

Post by PAINTER01 »

I went to see Prince when he was in the UK last time around about 5 years i think. The venue didn't help for sure, but even so I thought he was c...p
After 2 or 3 songs I spent the night up the bar!!

This got me thinking, regardless of reputation what are the worse bands.
you've seen
Mine would be
Whitney Houston ( went to the bar)
Prince Ditto
Al Green Spent the gig promoting love amongst the female audience giving out roses. I waited for the encore there wasn't one and I missed the train home!
Michael Jackson At the back at Wembley Stadium say no more
Liberty X left early and went for a Chinese meal instead :cheers:
My best would be
David Gray
Beverly Knight
George Michale
Brian McFadden

There was also one band who was the support act talk about 4 sullen miserable gits playing funeral music, it was all could do not to slash my wrists in the toilets.

Painter