The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by barrys »

Downloaded "The Way Back" last night and watched it straightaway - a really good movie, thanks a lot once again SM :)
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thai Movie "The Moonhunter" (aka 14 October) showing on the Thai movie channel this week, with English subtitles. Probably on the shelf somewhere in DVD form as well.

If you want to learn more about the 1973 revolt here, this is a good one. Your eyes will be opened. A lot of live footage of events in the film as well. More references below. Pete :cheers:

The Moonhunter

Bhandit became controversial in 2001 with the release of The Moonhunter (14 tula, songkram prachachon or 14 October: War of the People), a biographical film about 1970s Thammasat University student activist and communist rebel Seksan Prasertkul, who co-wrote the screenplay. The English title refers to an episode when Seksan was fighting in the jungles of Thailand and, one night, startled by the rise of the moon, he fired his rifle at it.

The Censorship Board banned the film's trailer, which included stock footage from 14 October 1973 student uprising, with soldiers and policemen beating up unarmed pro-democracy demonstrators. Bhandit then vowed to not release the film if the board made any cuts, but the board responded that Bhandit was simply using the censorship review process as a means of generating publicity for his film.[4] As it turned out, the film was released without any cuts, a sign, Bhandit said, that Thai society was maturing.[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thammasat_ ... y_massacre

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295145/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
E-Dork
Suspended
Suspended

Post by E-Dork »

Quite a line up for this new 'Django'....

Jamie Foxx has joined Quentin Tarantino's upcoming film Django Unchained.

The Oscar winner will play the titular character, a freed slave who tries to rescue his long-lost love, Broomhilda, from a plantation owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), with the help of a German bounty hunter, who will be played by Inglourious Basterds' Christoph Waltz. Fellow Tarantino alum Samuel L. Jackson also stars as Candie's slave, Stephen, while Kerry Washington, Foxx's Ray co-star, is in talks to play Broomhilda.
If it's within arms reach, there's nothing to worry about!!
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Okaaay...one out of the lads and dads box....

CARS 2

I love Pixar kids films as they get the lads and dads recipie right each time...a great kids film with some sly adult aimed humor thrown in to boot and keep the dads laughing.

Cars 2 is mainly about Mater the rusty old tow truck who inadvertantly walks head on into a international evil plot by a big bad oil company to stifle bio fuel production and popularity by making it seem unsafe for use. They intend doing this by sponsoring the worlds first international all comers grand prix series where Steve the all American hot rod racer is pitted against the best from all over the world.

There are loads of sly adult jokes in there playing on nationality cliches like the Japanese obsession with hi tech toilets and how good Italian food is in Italy, and loveable dumb old Mater is teamed up with a foxy UK musclecaress and the classic DB5 James Bond a like head spy car voiced by Michael Caine.

Top stuff, and great entertainment all the way to the finish line. The kids will love it, and you get to laugh along at the in jokes aimed at the adults

The versions that are out now are sort of OK TS copies (especially the clean version by the BFF group) but use a Russian source so some of the subtitles and signs are in Russian. Id recc you wait a few weeks for the nice clean DVDRIPs to arrive. You can find the OK copy at veehd.com if you cant wait. The disks round town may well still use the older crappy CAM version which is awful.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I'll toss out one of my favorites that was on last night (watched it for the xx time!!)

Man on Fire with Denzel Washington
Directed by Tony Scott
With Christopher Walken (!!) & Dakota Fanning among others

Great flick! :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Aha! The sound of the Sandomatic 6000 Early Warning System, telling me that another hot film has hit the deck in watchable format

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS is out and about in lovely R5 DVDRIP format

You can find it at veehd.com

http://veehd.com/video/4634754_X-Men-first-class-R5
http://veehd.com/video/4634346_X-Men-1s ... 11-R5-PG13

wait a day and it will be up at oneclickmoviez.com

for tottenthounds look for the version marked R5 and with a file size around 691MB...personally I recc you wait a day and drop it from oneclick if you arent registered with veehd.

Suppose to be good stuff....review will be in the pipe

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

E-Dork wrote:Quite a line up for this new 'Django'....

The Oscar winner will play the titular character, a freed slave who tries to rescue his long-lost love, Broomhilda, from a plantation owner, Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), with the help of a German bounty hunter, who will be played by Inglourious Basterds' Christoph Waltz. Fellow Tarantino alum Samuel L. Jackson also stars as Candie's slave, Stephen, while Kerry Washington, Foxx's Ray co-star, is in talks to play Broomhilda.
What's Mr Sandmans opinion on this? :P

At least it's not Will Smith hey?
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

E-Dork wrote:Quite a line up for this new 'Django'....

Been waiting for Tarantino to pay homage to the Spaghetti Western genre. Haven't seen one in many years, so will watch one or two so as to better appreciate Tarantino's film. Already downloaded the obvious place to start, this film from 1967:
Attachments
djangoK.jpg
djangoK.jpg (42.31 KiB) Viewed 441 times
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

What's Mr Sandmans opinion on this?
well. as you said at least it aint that lollygagging gurning wingnut Will Smith....but really. Can you take a bigger post three vindaloo montezuma special dump on Django Mr Q? Nah....thought not.

Mr Q could have done so much with this....even better leave it to his protoge made master of mayhem "El Mariachi" man Robert Rodriguez. HE could have made a mad ass neo western gothic masterpiece out of it complete with the proper grim Django dragging a coffin behind him that has a gatling gun in it.

Rodriguez is now the master of western taco gun fu at its finest. ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO was the template for a Django remake. The "El Mariachi" character IS Django, simply replacing the trademark coffin with the guitar case of hate.

Even the totally mad Japanese films DEATH TRANCE and TSUKIYAKI WESTERN DJANGO stuck to the proper grim revenger with a coffin full o hate formula. The first one is a fantasy steampunk samurai version of it, the second is madass samurai western Django meets Kurosawas YOJIMBO. Both are great films if a bit odd.

But no.... it has to be turned into some early morning after the pub crawl pool of vomit black n white minstrel show parody of one of the great Western revenger genre films. And I still maintain that Christophe Waltz is a half pint o piss with a squeaky voice who couldnt scare my 12 year old nephew. He made a potentially great sinister jew hunting Nazi role into a helium breathed caampy hammed up garden gnome in a Hugo Boss uniform.

God rot Quentins black soul for this one. Inglorious Basterds sucked and it seems hes stuck in a downbound spiral of sh*tey genre film reworking buggerups. Hes a little tosser, and I hope it bombs.

Veehd.com has a few Django original films, and two of the great Trinity spag western films as well.

Im really surprised that nobody has taken a crack at filming the classic gothic neo western book BLOOD MERIDIAN by Cormac McCarthy yet....hard to read but a corking blood drenched tale.

EDIT: Aha.... they have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_meridian

:neener: :banghead: :neener:

migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

sandman67 wrote: Inglorious Basterds sucked
Thought I was the only one that thought this :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

migrant wrote:
I enjoyed it, I don't think he's made a bad film.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

BaaBaa. wrote:
migrant wrote:
I enjoyed it, I don't think he's made a bad film.
Have to agree there.... :mrgreen:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Ill tell you why it sucked...because The Basterds who the title referred to were hardly in it

Absolute classic characters like the psycho turncoat Stiglitz and Aldo The Apache were utterly wasted. You could have made a blood splattered Boys Own stylee "Kellys Heroes" film about their exploits....and it would have rocked...imagine it. The band of highly incompetant but utterly ruthless and deadly killers baseball batting and bayonetting their way through Nazi occupied France.

No, instead we get an hour and a half of the utterly dross interplay between a carnival clown gnome in a Nazi uniform poncing about like some helium powered nonce and his pretty nemesis who surprise surprise runs back into him and some skin deep mea culpa breastbeating by a hunky sniper who suddenly dvelops a conscience. Spliced in for some reason that is also a plot dead end is a half assed OSS plot that goes dickey and more yap yap yap mea frickin culpa yap.

Its utter frickin toss, a total waste of great characters, and a complete miscast in the case of another. Nazi jew hunters are meant to be cold, calculating and sinister, not some shortarsed half pint o piss who looks and acts like Paris Hiltons poodle in swastika slap.

Malcolm McDowell...Stephen Berkoff.....Udo Kier....John Malcovich.....even a blonded up Michael Madsen....any of them could have played the part better. Nah...give it to the shortarsed prat who belongs in an amateur dramatics production of Cabaret.

You can see the wobble starting with Kill Bill 2...which was still an excellent film...but there is the evidence that old Quentin has spent waaaaay too long with late nite sit ins and genre flicks and sniggering in jokes with his flick geek buddies who kiss his laurel wreathed ass and tell him how wonderful he is. Did you get the Exhibit A? Many didnt.....he constantly refers in the film to the abortion that is Shogun Assassin...a bad cheapo recut of the first two films in the Babycart series of Japanese samurai revenger films. Shogun Assasssin is only remembered for how incoherent and godawful it was, whereas the Babycart films are recognised as classics. Quentin thinks it was excellent.....case closed.

His three bags o poodle poo dump on Django is gonna suck and blow more than a digeridoo player on speed.

Hes a little twat who is fast disappearing up his own ass. Its time someone reminded him of when he made great films like Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Pulp Fiction rather than the genre bollocks parodies he has descended into. Its the same sad tale as Guy Ritchie...you make greats like Lock Stock and Snatch, then a few coke filled evenings in with your sycophant mates and you wake up married to some faded old slapper kabalist disco freak trying to justify utter cack like Revolver to a bemused film press. Still, with Rocknrolla it looks like the Ritchie brand may yet have something to give. Quentin needs his Rocknrolla...and this Django abortion aint gonna cut the mustard.

He has done two more good things tho - he helped Robert Rodriguez and Troubleshooter Studios up to where it is now, and he brought the wonderful wu-jia film HERO to the western audience. For those two triumphs he gets a stiff telling off and finger wag rather than the steel toecapped Timberland in his coke raddled balls that he deserves.

BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

:lach:

A classic rant that one SM.

:cheers:
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

A classic rant that one SM.

If we shadows have offended, think but this and all is mended
That you have but slumbered here while these visions did appear

I always try to amuse bro.....

anyways

X-MEN: FIRST CLASS

Marvel is working through its back catalogue of heroes giving us "origins" tales that fill in the backstorys, and this is teh one about how the X-Men, and particularly Charles Prof X Xavier and Magneto came to be the hero and anti-hero of the X-Men series, as well as a few of the other characters like Mystique and Beast. Old Wolverine even has a cameo walk on in one bit.

Being X-Men it doesnt have the dark gritty feel of Batman but what it sets out to do it does with style, and at 2hrs plus doesnt feel long and drawn out, which is a good sign. The acting is up to scratch, with Kevin Bacon playing a nasty ex Nazi Mengele type who is the badass bad guy before Magneto, who wants him dead for killing his mother in the death camp where Eriks power first comes to light. Shaw is dead set on starting a nuclear war to wipe out the normal humans, leaving only the rad friendly mutant types alive, and so Prof X and Magneto assemble a team of good mutants to put the bad mutants down. Cue montage.... simple, effective, and big bucket o popcorn fun all the way.

Its CGI heavy and the effects look lovely and top quality superhero fun all the way through, dancing around with the Cuban Missle Crisis on the way to the end reel. Well worth a good watch and is getting a home on the hard drive. I'll tip you off with links when that version is out and about.

Three cheers!

Word of warning. The R5 copies doing the rounds at present are lovely quality, but there are 2 jumps where the film looses a few seconds, one at a very annoying hi tension bit. There are also no subs for the foriegn language bits so you have to drop a sub file separately. However, a fully subbed version is due out this week so hang on till Friday and download a copy then.

Captain America is out at the cinema soon and looks triple cool, and a R5 DVDRIP of THOR should be due in a week or two. Tis a great year for superhero film fans......Hoorah!