The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by sandman67 »

Uncle Sandy Santa is back with a heaving sack (oo er missus) of treats for my HHAD chums and chumettes, so lets dive on in.

So...you want a decent horror flick. Well...try this one on

THE BABADOOK

Small budget indie Aussie flick about a single mother whose hyperactive and maladjusted kid is driving her slowly bonkers, as he is bordering on bonkers himself and has a morbid fear of boogeymen. This extends to getting all McGuyver and converting bits of their home into boobytraps and improvised weapons to kill the monsters under his bed. As their life together spirals ever closer to madness a mysterious story book appears on his shelf. Reading it, the mother unleashes the father of all boogeymen...The Babadook. Or does she? Is it all in fact just a symptom of her stress and stressful relationship with her ever maddening child, and her inability to cope with her partners death?

Its creepy rather than gory...that cold clammy hand on your shoulder rather than the usual Hollydud "BOO!" cattle prod horror. It feels much more like a Japanese horror flick than a western one, and the influences and homages to films like Ring and The Curse are apparent. Yes it could have, with a bigger budget, had a better ending segment....but I liked it, and hell fire...that kid is damn scary.

Three cheers for effort and innovation

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Too scary....how about a bit of Victorian Gothic horror like those old BBC Ghost Story At Christmas episodes from the 80s?

STONEHEARST ASYLUM

Wonderfully gothic and lacy adaptation of an Edgar Allen Poe story about a Victorian psychiatry student who gets a placement at the asylum of the title. When he arrives he find that the regime in place is...well...unusual to say the least. He also finds that one of the residents is a beautiful young woman who may just be saner than anyone at the asylum, including the doctors and guards who all seem...well....odd. And then there are the strange banging noises from the cellars. That seems a little...well...odd.

Stellar A lister ensemble cast, with the great Ben Kingsley, Michael Kane, and others in sets that have all the lovely mad coloring and frilly detailing from the classic Hammer era. Its a stonking little tale as well, with a proper sting in its twisty tale.

Absolute solid recc for fans of the old MR James style gothic fireside horror tales, and a definite three jibbering loons keeper.

Not enough bite? How about a vampire or two then?

DRACULA UNTOLD

Mid budget "origins" film about how our favorite Ottoman impaling tyrant went from Vlad....good man defending his people... to Dracula....bloodsucking creature of the night.

Faced with demands from the sultan Mehmet for 1000 young boys to induct into his Janissary army, including his own son, Vlad decides to fight back. The only problem is his tiny principality has hardly any men worthy of bearing arms, and definitely not enough to face down the armored might of the Ottoman oppressors. So Vlad strikes a hard bargain with a vampire trapped in a remote mountain cave...3 days of vampiric power, on the condition that if in that time he drinks any blood, he will be damned as a vampire forever, and the original vampire is freed from his cavern prison.

Its a shame as will more moola and a better director this could have been an outstanding film. As it is its a second rate mini blockbuster which relies on its Game Of Thrones borrowed cast and costuming to get it through, and falls a bit flat, even with its spectacular end battles and twisty end.

Two cheers...worth a watch and a keeper if, like me, you are a fan of the genre.

:cheers: :cheers:

and to top off the first installment of Sandy's Return, a much awaited Marvel super-hero sci-fi epic

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY

Marvel super hero flicks are getting a tad close to being overly stodgy and preachy. The last Captain America film was good, but I couldnt help wishing he had woken up earlier and we didnt have all that new millenia US centric moms apple pie security state paranoia cackola. Bring back the Nazi baddies and biff bop bubblegum fun you dispshits!

Thank christ this is nothing like that, and returns to the old fun format of biffs, bops, bangs and spectacular sci-fi epic fun and games, with bad baddies and fun goodies duking it out. Think of it as a super hero version of KELLY'S HEROES in space - a misfit team of oddballs have to come together to pull off the heist of the century, only here the future of the universe is at stake rather than just a bank full of gold bars.

Lovely graphics, spot on tone and plot, proper comic book fun and thrills, and a rollercoaster ride that depite its two hour running time just flies by. Three massive hurrahs and a definite keeper.

All out and about in crispy DVDRIP formats all over the shop. Get at em!

chin chin chums

:thumb:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Actually a "techi" question rather than a review (apologies, but felt this the best place for it....). Mods - please move if you think necessary.

I have a shed load of movies downloaded to various hard drives - normally for viewing on my laptop whilst working away. However, I do tend to watch a few of the latest movies (the latest Planet of the Apes being an example!!) via pen drive/USB using the built-in media player on my TV. In general zero problems, however occassionally the movie will have subtitles, and this is where I have problems :oops: . Viewing on my laptop is not an issue as the player picks up the subtitles - however, my TV does not ( :? ). What am I doing wrong/what do I do to get the required subtitles?

Ta muchly in advance.

[EDIT] Great to have your reviews SM - we don't see enough of you these days!!
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

There are two types of subtitles - hard-coded and additional files. With the additional files you would simply not copy to your U.S.B. stick. If the subtitles are hard-coded, i.e. built into the *.avi file then it is unlikely you can remove or disable on your T.V. When you download your movies you need to be more particular which files or subtitles accompany your film.
:cheers:
GN.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Downloaded, and watched, the November Man with Pierce Brosnan. Good copy and good movie
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

sandman67 wrote:
STONEHEARST ASYLUM

Wonderfully gothic and lacy adaptation of an Edgar Allen Poe story about a Victorian psychiatry student who gets a placement at the asylum of the title. When he arrives he find that the regime in place is...well...unusual to say the least. He also finds that one of the residents is a beautiful young woman who may just be saner than anyone at the asylum, including the doctors and guards who all seem...well....odd. And then there are the strange banging noises from the cellars. That seems a little...well...odd.

Stellar A lister ensemble cast, with the great Ben Kingsley, Michael Kane, and others in sets that have all the lovely mad coloring and frilly detailing from the classic Hammer era. Its a stonking little tale as well, with a proper sting in its twisty tale.

Absolute solid recc for fans of the old MR James style gothic fireside horror tales, and a definite three jibbering loons keeper.

:thumb:
What a great movie and lovely twist at the end
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :clap:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ginjaninja wrote:There are two types of subtitles - hard-coded and additional files. With the additional files you would simply not copy to your U.S.B. stick. If the subtitles are hard-coded, i.e. built into the *.avi file then it is unlikely you can remove or disable on your T.V. When you download your movies you need to be more particular which files or subtitles accompany your film.
GN.
Thanks for the tip GN - I understand the issue re: hard/soft subs, and have the associated subtitle file downloaded. Fine on my PC/Laptop, can't get it to work on the TV - nevertheless, I shall endevour!!

Back to movies on DVD, has anybody managed to find a download link/torrent file for "The Amazing Spiderman 2" (released May 2014) yet????

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, but I watched it in the cinema - more love story than Spiderman :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

pharvey

The simple answer is you cant.

Subs files work using a type of add on or plug in that links to your media player on your computer - while the media player plays the vid/audio the plug in synchs the text track and superimposes it onto the media player screen. A lot of players have this integrated (GOM, VLC, BS Player, etc).
Your direct to TV media player built into the TV wont have that capability, nor will players hard coded into a DVD player.
The only fix is to buy a lead that will link your laptop to your TV, and run the media files on your laptop player with the TV acting as the screen. Any good hardware store like the one in Market Village will have a lead...take your laptop with you so the chap can check what lead you need - a laptop to HDMI is the usual one.
The only other fix is to get hold of a DVDburner program that can add the subs to a DVD burn, and burn the subtitle films as DVDs and play them as normal on a DVD player. Let me know if you want to do that and I will find you a good freeware one.

D :cheers:

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

ah....its awards judging season so the piratical oceans shall be fruitful

FURY

Bloody, gritty, visceral and a wee bit preachy tale of a tank destroyer crew in the closing months of WW2, as the American forces advanced into "Fortress Germany" to face the Reich's desperate last stand. Outgunned, outarmoured and facing hardened SS units the battles have turned into a gory last slog towards Berlin, with every field and town full of uniformed soldiers and civilians drafted in to fill the gaps, be they women, kids or the aged. When the crew looses its assistant driver a buck new recruit is sent to them - one unwilling to dip his toes into the bloodbath, and thus a liability rather than an asset.

Its a great little war flick, and the two and a quarter hours fly by as the SAVING PRIVATE RYAN battle scenes splatter and burn across the eyes, interlaced with segments of relative quiet and contemplation on the evils men do. The actors all play their parts well in support of Brad Pitt, who as in LEGENDS OF THE FALL plays a war weary and battle scarred unwilling hero. I like the war films that leave the moms apple pie steaming on the windowsill and tell war tales in a realistic manner because, as here and with SPR, they allow the audience to connect with the characters rather than be washed down in empty patriotic twaddle.

I loved it, and will definitely add it to my collection in hi rez when the proper BDRIP comes out. As is the DVDSCR version is a very watchable copy with the odd watermarking on it in places. Its not a groundbreaking tank film like LEBANON, which was the DAS BOOT of tank flicks, but its able to stand up next to SPR and give a snappy salute.

Three burning tigers and a ripping hurrah

GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Evening Sandy,

Firstly, thanks for the recs of some horror movies. Secondly, do you know of any site where you can stream (watch without downloading I mean) new hd movies without payment, registration and the like. YouTube is pretty naff... I mean responsible when it comes to new movies. You may get a new one if ya lucky, before it gets canned.

Are there any such gems about?

I have done my buying of movies, spent thousands of pounds on vhs and dvd collections. I've done my bit... I'd rather not pay for a movie anymore, seeing as they milk millions from shite movies nowadays.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Many thanks for the clarification SM. I have a "Chromecast" unit which I can use to connect my laptop through the TV - just tends to be a little jumpy at times and I far prefer playing stuff directly through the built-in media player.
The TV is wireless (as are all "Smart TV;s"), so there may be some other solutions around, but I'm certainly interested in the DVD option, so would be very grateful for any further info you could give on that option.
As always, great to see your movie reviews!!

Big Boy wrote:No, but I watched it in the cinema - more love story than Spiderman :banghead:
Well, my nephew is dying to see it, but after your review I may just take a back seat on the viewing..... if I ever find a torrent.... Thanks anyway!
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

FURY 2014

An excellent WWII action movie. Brad Pitt excels as a tank commander in the final stages of the war battlefield action. Bit 'Hollywoodish' but nevertheless gripping and pretty gruesome.
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Headhunters

One of the best thrillers I've seen in years. A Norwegian film from 2012. Nothing but quotes I agree with from reviewers this time, because if they can't persuade you to see a subtitled movie, I certainly can't.

- Headhunters is a dark adult entertainment, a wild and bloody adrenaline rush of a movie that deals in gleeful grotesqueness and over-the-top implausibilities.

- The film has some fairly grisly violence, but also considerable humor and the sort of intricate, thought-through storytelling you'd expect from Hitchcock or the Coen brothers.

- Headhunters is admirably swift in style, and dangerously silly in what it begs us to swallow, but at its heart is a consummate depiction of a permanent type - the proud and prickly male, thrown back on his desperate wits.

- A Scandinavian shade of dark carefully planned thriller, with a number of ever escalating and unimaginable twists and turns, keeps audiences on the edge of their seats. Unless you are averse to films with subtitles, watch it before you are faced with the dilemma of choosing the unavoidable glossy Hollywood remake.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

A Million Ways to Die in the West... I thought Blazing Saddles was the funniest western to ever be made and would never be beat, but I think this one does it. Both me and the missus laughed till we cried.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

hhfarang wrote:A Million Ways to Die in the West... I thought Blazing Saddles was the funniest western to ever be made and would never be beat, but I think this one does it. Both me and the missus laughed till we cried.
Agree with that. I never liked 'Family Guy' that much (which made Seth Macfarlane famous) but I enjoyed this movie and loved, 'Ted'.