Khao Kalok

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
buksida

Khao Kalok

Post by buksida »

Spent the day in Khao Kalok today, its a nice little spot about 40 minutes drive/ride south of Hua Hin - follow the signs to Paknampran then take the coast road to the end of the bay.

It had been a while since we'd been down that way and the first thing I noticed is that the prices in the local beach restaurant there had doubled. As usual on the weekend it was fairly busy with Thais but not too crowded, the beach is wide and long and the sea was clear. Some huge jellies washed up deterred many from swimming and those that did go in, myself included, ended up a little itchy from the sea lice - these tiny harmless critters are prevalent in most coastal waters on the Gulf side.

Another observation was the amount of litter on the beach; plastic bottles, crisp wrappers, straws, plastic bags, polystyrene, coke tins ... it seems that no effort whatsoever has been made to keep this nice little slice of beach clean, I got a few funny looks picking up some of the crap myself - preserving nature is a lost concept on the Thais.

Took the road back to Paknam and was amazed at how many resorts had popped up in the last 2-3 years, naturally most of these unknown places were empty, in fact the only one that was bustling with activity was the Evason. This was quite amusing also as the beach had been completely swallowed by the incoming tide along this stretch of coast ... I bet they didn't put that in the brochure!

Also along the coast road were a number of half built property developments boasting villas at 'only 36 million baht'. I don't imagine they tell potential buyers that the nearest civilization is 'dried squid village' aka Paknampran where the smell alone will knock you off your bike!

The kids had a great day though, maybe I'm getting old and cynical ... or maybe those hidden slices of paradise I remember discovering a few years ago are slowly disappearing. Imagine what they will be like when the kids are my age!

It's amazing what you can find washed up on the beach these days!

Khao Kalok - still not a bad little corner of the world

This is not the beach you get if you book at the Evason!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Re: Khao Kalok

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Where have the images gone?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

They havn't all disappeared, buksida:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/m ... ilt-island
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2010/m ... land-beach
How long they remain unspoilt is, of course, a different matter.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

JimmyGreaves wrote:Where have the images gone?
Some of the images were lost during the software upgrade however we have managed to revive a few.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

It's amazing what you can find washed up on the beach these days!
Did you check to see if there was a foot in it? :shock:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

Apparently, there was a message in that boot that read "I should have learned to swim". :twisted:

Nice beaches though.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.