What do they sell at Burma border market?

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
charlesh
Ace
Ace

Re: What do they sell at Burma border market?

Post by charlesh »

You need a might rot peuang to carry the furniture - bulky rustic!!
No doubt the myriad of fauna has been uplifted from the Burmese jungle - so you too can add to the deforestation I suspect.

The cross border market at the Golden Triangle - much better IMO but a bit of a drive to get there.

There is a lot of cheap trinkets, Burmese cigarettes and cheroots, Chinese soap and the usual T shirt. IMO worth a quick visit and then on as Barry says to Prachuap town and the lovely Ao Manao - the only place the Thais put up a resistance to the Japs at the outbreak of war!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Thanks Barry and Jaime, the reason I asked was that one of the guys who runs a place in Bangsaphan told me he got the stuff for his guesthouse now restaurant from DSK, but it was nothing like the very solid, very rustic, impressive looking stuff I saw in the 'new' market, hence the question.

I guess what you get from a market is what you look for, and for me that was the furniture and plants, I like to ignore the pap sellers.
Talk is cheap
sweeex
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sweeex »

barrys wrote:tonymaroni wrote: "What kind of things have you bought, or do you know of what they have for sale at the Burmese border crossing 2 hrs from Hua Hin?"

I've been there a few times, mainly to buy furniture.
They make fantastic, solid timber rustic-type furniture on the Burmese side and then sell it pretty cheap on the Thai side at the border market.

Also very good for plants/flowers, especially orchids, and cheap.

Handicraft trinkets are also available, and you'll find the odd monkey/parakeet/goat etc. for sale too.

Even if you don't want to buy anything, it's quite an interesting place to walk around.

Best thing is to make a day tour of it (been covered on the forum before somewhere).

Go to the market first (it winds down around lunchtime), then go to Ao Manao just outside Prachuab - nice beach, cheap Thai food (including seafood), 9-hole golf course. Clean and quiet - not overrun by beach vendors.
At the north end of the bay, there is also a spot where langur monkeys live wild and you can see them swinging through the trees with their yellow babies.

After that, stop off in Prachuab town and walk along the promenade, or sit in the small pizza restaurant on the promenade (can't remember the name I'm afraid), chill out with some good, cheap pizza and wine/beer and look out over Prachuab Bay.
Hi,I am new to this area, and try to find out were this border crossing market is located? Is this the border crossing you are talking about here?or is there any one closer?
I find this wery intresting and would like to check it out on my next visit.
Khlong Wan, Muang Prachuap Khilikhan, Prachuap Khiri Khan 77000, Thailand
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

There's some info in the below thread. Someone correct me please if we're talking about different places. Pete :cheers:

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16178
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source