Driving South to Chumphon & The Islands

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
pharvey

Driving South to Chumphon & The Islands

Post by pharvey »

The Long Haired General and I shall be doing the usual pilgrimage to Hua Hin over Christmas (early I know..... but I plan ahead :oops: ). My parents will also be coming over to meet us, but as they'll be staying a couple of weeks longer than the LHG and I are able, they do want to also spend some time away from Hua Hin.

Whilst the LHG and I are there, we're looking at hiring a car and driving south, taking our time and taking a look at the sights on our way to Koh Tao (possibly Koh Samui). Basically, I'm thinking of something like a 4 day trip (slightly longer if taking in Samui), and would love to have anybody's recommendations on what to see, where to eat, where to stay etc. etc. on the way down and on the island(s).

Also, with regards to the car, is it a car ferry to Koh Tao or just passenger ferry? Is a car needed on the island(s)? The fact that we want to look at the sights on the way down eliminates the option of taking the bus from HH.

Any other recommendations for day trips away from HH for my parents during their stay would also be appreciated.

Cheers in advance. :cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Re: Driving South to Chumphon & The Islands

Post by buksida »

Have a look at this if you want ideas of where to stop on the way: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17492

The ferry to Koh Tao from Chumphon is passenger only, you'd need to drive to Don Sak in Suratthani if you want to take the car over to Samui.

Prachuab or Bangsaphan are good day trips, more on BS here: http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

there is a car ferry over to koh toa,its like a landing craft from Dunkirk with rooms for sleeping ,i did it a few years ago ,good experience a longer crossing ,they only run at night ,it also takes over fuel trucks and supplies ,quite big and a good price .but its old and slow and not really something i would take tourists on,unless you could survive the dirty beds etc,we just listen to music and drank all night
buksida

Post by buksida »

Forgot about the red-eye, is that still running? It used to be the only option for getting on and off Tao!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

I'm probably a bit strange but I do like a stopover in Chumphon by train. (So make that 'strange' on two counts!)
It's a fascinating town IMO - same same but different to others. Can't describe it but for me it starts at the train station with it's lovely little display of Thai currency, and continues with the motorbike taxi lads waiting to ferry arrivals into town, past an eerily similar route to that of HH from the station, but Chumphon does it better.
Mind you I love HadYai as well - there's just no hope for some...
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
H2ODunc
Professional
Professional

Post by H2ODunc »

Hi, you can get a night ferry to Tao from Chumphon but to be honest the island is so small, 7km X 3km and the roads are very basic it is a waste of time driving there. You would be better driving to Donsak from HH which is easily doable in one go taking it easy. Hop over to Samui and spend a couple of days here and then jump on one of the ferries that go from here to Tao and have a couple of days there. Return the same way. A nice trip taking in some nice sights and a couple of nice islands as well.
I never forget a face but in your case I'll make an exception!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thanks for the responses all :cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

OK, as always...... option B (or C or D........) :roll: : -

1. Do the coaches from Bangkok/Hua Hin to Chumphon have toilets on board?
2. Any recommendations for hotels in Chumphon and/or Koh Tao?

Thanks in advance :cheers: :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

margaretcarnes wrote:I'm probably a bit strange but I do like a stopover in Chumphon by train. (So make that 'strange' on two counts!)
It's a fascinating town IMO - same same but different to others. Can't describe it but for me it starts at the train station with it's lovely little display of Thai currency, and continues with the motorbike taxi lads waiting to ferry arrivals into town, past an eerily similar route to that of HH from the station, but Chumphon does it better.
Mind you I love HadYai as well - there's just no hope for some...
The train is certainly another option Mags, but we'll be traveling with my parents who I doubt are going to be keen on a long train trip on the ''hard seats''..... are ''there sleepers/soft cabins''? How long is the trip?

:cheers: :cheers:
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

We stayed in Sai Ree Beach, a bit outside of Chumphon. I can't remember the place so will ask Mrs M

In town Papa 2000 is a excellent restaurant with western and Thai food
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ahh, OK - hadn't realised the train was such a short trip. Best option could well be the train down, night in Chumphon, across to Koh Tao for a night or 2 and return to Hua Hin on the train.

Site seeing by car can then be several day trips. If anyone's interested in the train times: -
Chumphon.JPG
Chumphon.JPG (64.16 KiB) Viewed 2094 times
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

migrant wrote:We stayed in Sai Ree Beach, a bit outside of Chumphon. I can't remember the place so will ask Mrs M

In town Papa 2000 is a excellent restaurant with western and Thai food
Thanks Migrant - appreciated :cheers: :cheers:
TimandT
Professional
Professional

Post by TimandT »

Last week took the train down to Surat Thani. The timetable has recently changed. They still leave Bangkok at the same times, but arrival/departure from Hua Hin now later.

Look at "Download Timetable" here at http://www.railway.co.th/home/Default.asp?lenguage=Eng
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: 2. Any recommendations for hotels in Chumphon and/or Koh Tao?
There is a whole list of them here: http://huahinforum.com.r24.asia/kohtao/
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Thanks again guys...... sorry Buksida, should have thought :oops: and it's spot on. :cheers: :cheers:

Does anyone have any recommendations on which area on Koh Tao? Obviously the parents aren't into diving etc., but love the beaches and seafood. :D