Good supermarket and restaurants close to soi 114

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Good supermarket and restaurants close to soi 114

Post by Ralfredo »

Hi,

What's the best place to by groceries, mostly for breakfast, and home supplies like toilet paper, mosquito "spirals" and such stuff. We will be renting a house on soi 114, so close to this is preferred. I know about Lotus in MV but would prefer something "easier". Park in the basement just to by breakfast...

I would also appreciate recommendations of nice restaurants in the area.

TIA /Ralfredo
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Re: Good supermarket and restaurants close to soi 114

Post by hhfarang »

There are no supermarkets in the area south of MV all the way to Pranburi. Try the mom and pop shops for some things like packaged goods and eggs, etc. I've found the one on the north side of 112 near Phetkasem road to be one of the best in the area. If you want meat, bread, cheese (very limited), or anything the small Thai shops don't have you can try the 7/11s on 112 or 116. A rumor of a Tesco going in on 112 is circulating but that will probably be a while. Until then MV is your nearest option for complete grocery shopping.

You didn't say what kind of food you like or at what prices, but as far as restaurants south of the flyover in that vicinity goes, choices are somewhat limited at the moment.

Two I would recommend are on Soi 112 just a few hundred meters west of the 7/11. The first one is Mr. Mons and has good Thai and western food, limited menu though but is run by a nice Thai man who is also the cook or one of them. Further up the road on the same side is Tiks Restaurant; good Thai food if you like Issan style, and others have said the Western food is good (though I haven't tried it yet).

If you go past Tiks and Take the first road to your right into Nong Khae Village, then turn right at the "T" and go about a kilometer you will see a Thai restaurant on your left that has excellent Thai food. I believe they are only open for dinner currently and don't remember the name.

On Soi 116 you will find a small restaurant called Sabai that serves both Thai and Western food as well as a bar on the opposite side of the street that has bar food and anything you want to drink.

If you take 116 across Phetkasem road and go about a kilometer there is a German restaurant on the right in the white stucco house.

Down the highway headed south past 116 take the next (dirt) road to your right where two big signs say "mini golf" and go to the end of the road to find Mr. Sings; Thai and western food.

All of the above are casual, reasonably priced places; though the German restaurant and Sabai are a bit higher than the others.

The only nicer restaurant I know of in the immediate area is the big seafood place on the highway directly across from the entrance to 114. I haven't tried it but others have told me it is good.

Those are the main ones in the immediate vicinity. There are a few good ones in Takiab which is also pretty convenient to 114. For more information check out the "Feeding Time" thread.

I believe Mr. Mon's, Tiks, and Sabai all serve a western breakfast of some kind.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Thank you very much hhfarang for your kind and detailed advices!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Ralfredo wrote:Thank you very much hhfarang for your kind and detailed advices!
I have not been to Mr Mon's, but would endorse HHFR's recommendation of Sabai restaurant on Soi 116, good food at reasonable prices and friendly staff.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Dannie Boy wrote:
Ralfredo wrote:Thank you very much hhfarang for your kind and detailed advices!
I have not been to Mr Mon's, but would endorse HHFR's recommendation of Sabai restaurant on Soi 116, good food at reasonable prices and friendly staff.
Mr Mon used to run Sabai 18-24 months ago so Mons is basically the same menu but cheaper, I eat at both and also Tiks.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Thank you hhfarang! :thumb: :cheers:
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Coming home from a beer drinking session with a visiting friend tonight I realized another option. At the end of Soi 114 (just to the north of it) at least 5 nights a week is one of the best fresh markets in town. My missus shops there all the time rather than go to the supermarkets downtown. Great stuff to take home at minimal prices.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

^

Yeah its great, loads of ready cooked food on offer too.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

hhfarang wrote:At the end of Soi 114 (just to the north of it) at least 5 nights a week is one of the best fresh markets in town.
Perfect! That will be nearby! So this market will be close to the intersection of Soi 114 and Petchakasem Road, or do misunderstand You? The "other" end of Soi 114 is more in the south-west, if Googleearth serves me correctly.

Or maybe I do misunderstand. Do You mean a bit north on the road that go more or less in north/south direction, that Soi 114 connects to. Hope I'm not too confusing... :oops:
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Turn left as you come out of 114 onto Phetkasem and it's on the same side on the main road you can't miss it. Starts about 5 I think.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

BaaBaa. wrote:Turn left as you come out of 114 onto Phetkasem and it's on the same side on the main road you can't miss it. Starts about 5 I think.
That's correct, turn left out of 114 as if you are heading back into HH and it is immediately on the left. It is now open 7 nights a week and they start as early as 3pm so are in full swing by 5pm. You can't buy western food there but fruit and veg are plentiful and if you want to buy meat and fish there, a reasonable choice is available all at good prices.
Ralfredo
Professional
Professional

Post by Ralfredo »

Thanks all!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

You can buy western food if you count deep fried chicken, KFC style. :mrgreen:

It's a decent market, you can just go and buy a few trays of stuff and have a decent meal at home if you don't fancy a restaurant that evening.

:cheers: