driving to ban krut

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
Rone

driving to ban krut

Post by Rone »

Have never driven in Hua Hin and to be honest as a visitor it looks pretty intimidating. But we have booked a few days in Ban Krut and instead of catching the train down there we are considering hiring a car and driving down. Could anyone please tell me how busy the road south is compared to Hua Hin and any route advice to miss heavy traffic - especially the multitude of scooters for whom there appears to be no driving code at all. I have driven in many UK and European cities and drive in Spain on a regular basis so not a wimp just sensible.

caller
Hero
Hero

Re: driving to ban krut

Post by caller »

Others are bettter informed than me, but once past Pranburi, the roads open up and when I was last there, the driving was enjoyable. Do consider stopping to look at Prahuap Town with its beautiful bay and a few K's further on is the turn off to Dan Singkhon for the market on the border with Burma. The roads around Ban Krut are empty!
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

To me, the scary (need to concentrate very hard) bit ends as you cross the flyover at Khao Takiab. After that, the driving is relatively simple.

One thing to be aware of though is that there are some mighty pot holes on that road. Other vehicles may swerve suddenly, and without any warning to avoid them.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

As mentioned above it gets easier past Pranburi, the single lane road between HH and Pran is one of the most dangerous in the province with minivans and SUVs hurtling towards you in an effort to overtake stuff on their side. So if you live north of town take the Pala-U road out to the bypass and follow that down, its more kilometers but less traffic and danger.

When past Pranburi the road surface on the southbound side is fine, you'll be shaken to bits coming back north.

Ban Krut itself is a breeze to drive around, a good map can be found here: http://www.bankrutinfo.com/bankrut-map.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote:the single lane road between HH and Pran is one of the most dangerous in the province with minivans and SUVs hurtling towards you in an effort to overtake stuff on their side
I'm surprised to read this. I've driven the road quite a few times now, and as long as you take it easy, don't join in with the overtaking mayhem, leave plenty of space between you and the next vehicle, it seems perfectly OK to me.

I don't disagree with the bit about the minivan & Fortuner chaos, but just sit back and let them get on with it. It's only a relatively short stretch of road anyway, and crazy overtaking isn't going to save you more than a few minutes.

If all else fails, just move to the motorcycle lane (if clear) for a few yards.

Points 41; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

I wouldn't describe being forced off the road into the bike lane by something overtaking on the other side as safe ... but that's just me!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I live near Kao Tao and use that stretch of road frequently.

As Buksida says, it is an extremely dangerous stretch of road and I have seen more accidents there in 5 years than I have ever seen anywhere in my entire life.

But as BB says, if you keep your wits about you and are prepared to drop the "I'm in the right and I'm not budging" farang attitude then your chances of survival are ... reasonable.

Having to move into the motorbike lane to avoid something is a frequent necessity. Unfortunately, whatever is forcing you to do that is unlikely to have checked that there is nothing preventing you from doing so.

I would say Buksi and BB are both partially correct! :laugh: :cheers:

EDIT: We are driving down to Baan Berd near Bang Saphan Noi on Sunday, going to a resort called Baan Kamnerdploy for a few days. I'm following this thread with interest.
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A lot of the drivers come off the "motorway" heading north or trying to get to it heading south and seem to treat that stretch of single carriageway as if it was another race track just to get one vehicle ahead.
Definitely dangerous. I've seen buses overturned, people in the ditches etc etc.
There's just no patience.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

lomuamart wrote:There's just no patience.

But my point is that you don't have to join them. Sit back, drive carefully and snigger at the idiots trying to kill themselves.

I don't think that stretch of road is any different to any other road with 2 way traffic in Thailand. I've seen exactly the same antics going on in the depths of Isaan.

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote:I don't think that stretch of road is any different to any other road with 2 way traffic in Thailand.
No, I have to disagree there. Try it at 8 in the morning or 7 in the evening.

And another thing I'd take issue with you about is that you can drive as carefully and patiently as you like, but if 2 minibuses drive into each other at a combined speed of 200+ kph as one is overtaking you, then they are going to hit you. And if it's a Bkk to Samui VIP bus, you might as well kiss your arse goodbye.
This is the way
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Big Boy wrote:
lomuamart wrote:There's just no patience.

But my point is that you don't have to join them. Sit back, drive carefully and snigger at the idiots trying to kill themselves.

I don't think that stretch of road is any different to any other road with 2 way traffic in Thailand. I've seen exactly the same antics going on in the depths of Isaan.

I like to think of it as "natural selection". :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote:
Big Boy wrote:I don't think that stretch of road is any different to any other road with 2 way traffic in Thailand.
No, I have to disagree there. Try it at 8 in the morning or 7 in the evening.

And another thing I'd take issue with you about is that you can drive as carefully and patiently as you like, but if 2 minibuses drive into each other at a combined speed of 200+ kph as one is overtaking you, then they are going to hit you. And if it's a Bkk to Samui VIP bus, you might as well kiss your arse goodbye.
I've not tried it at either of those times, so can't comment. However, minibuses or VIP buses driving into each other could happen anywhere in Thailand - it does not make that particular stretch any more dangerous than any other road in Thailand.

These antics are down to Thai driving - nothing to do with the Hua Hin to Pranburi road.

Points 41; Position 18
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Fair enough, you obviously know something I don't after your 3 weeks driving experience in Thailand. :wink: :laugh:
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Awww, that's harsh - 6 weeks :wink:

I'm not trying to say that I know it all, but there are ways of driving, and there are ways of driving. It doesn't matter where you are in the world, if you choose to drive like an idiot, you are more likely to end up as a statistic.

If you take care, you are less likely to end up on a cold slab. However, as Takiap says,
I like to think of it as "natural selection"

Points 41; Position 18
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Rone,
if you take the turn-off to Kao Tao you can bypass most of this peice of road and quite a bit of Petchkasem road south. You will need directions though because some of the roads can run a few kilometers and end up a dead-end.
The coastal route is very enjoyable and quiet.
Good luck.
GN.