Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan by train

Khao Takiab, Khao Tao, Pranburi, Paknampran, Khao Kalok, Dolphin Bay, Sam Roi Yod and Prachuabkirikhan. Discussion on areas south of Hua Hin.
denis72
Rookie
Rookie

Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan by train

Post by denis72 »

Hi,

I am planning a train journey from Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan in Novembre. I just want to spend a few hours there then back to Hua Hin by train (or minivan if no train available on late afternoon).

According to Google, the first train leaving Hua Hin is at 11:23 ? Which surely means 12:33 :D No problem, I am not in a hurry.

I have already been to Ao Manao by minivan from Hua Hin and the beach was completely empty. Is there something else to do or see in the city ? A temple ? Some shop ? Arriving mid day is too late or too early for a market I guess ?

Maybe I should go there by minivan and come back with the train ? I really want to experience a journey with a slow train.

Thanks for your ideas,
Denis
buksida

Re: Hua Hin to Prachuab Khiri Khan by train

Post by buksida »

denis72 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:13 pm I have already been to Ao Manao by minivan from Hua Hin and the beach was completely empty. Is there something else to do or see in the city ? A temple ? Some shop ? Arriving mid day is too late or too early for a market I guess ?
Plenty, have a read of some topics in this section on Prachuab. There are beaches, temples, wildlife, climbing, Burmese markets, etc. Not much in the town itself though, best seen over a couple of days to fit it all in.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There are quite a few on the South of Hua Hin Forum - have a browse through.

I think the problem with trains is the majority are travelling South from midday onwards, returning during the early hours of the morning.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Khao Chong Krachok. Walking distance from the train station. https://goo.gl/tJ449M
Basically a not much of temple, but high up on the top of hill, inhabited by monkeys.

Some nice views and photo opts, after about 400 steps.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KHPvrnuR5MfD1Q03
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

Someone here on the forum recommended the weekend market In PKK, I really liked it. It's along the boulevard at the sea front, and I believe it's Friday and Saturday evenings (starting maybe around 5pm ish). Personally I would travel down with the train one day and come back with the train the next day. You can book a room in the hotel in the airforce base at Ao Manao. Doesn't cost much, about 1000 baht p.n if I remember rightly. Not luxurious at all, but good enough. Plenty of other accomodation too. And like Buksida says, there is so much to do around the town, would keep you busy for days.

And if you didn't do it last time you simply MUST go to see the dusky leaf langur monkeys on the airforce base. They are adorable. If you do a search you will find lots of posts with pics that BigBoy made.
denis72
Rookie
Rookie

Post by denis72 »

Burmese market sounds interesting, I couldn't buy what I wanted when I went to Myanmar.
I am not into climbing and monkeys.
1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all is expensive but I've never been to PKK so maybe it's the best deal in town.
Looks like I should go to burmese market in Dan Singkhon by minivan from Hua Hin on Saturday morning then head to PKK, find a room, visit the teak temple, go to the weekend market in the evening and go back to Hua Hin Sunday morning by train.
Thanks all for your advices, map and pictures.
Any good massage parlor in PKK ?
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

denis72 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 pm 1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all is expensive but I've never been to PKK so maybe it's the best deal in town.
it's all relative though - one man's meat is another man's poison

what one person finds basic or not luxurious - is the next person's lap of luxury

what one persons finds cheap, is the next person finds expensive

It's cheap compared to Hilton/Holiday Inn type of hotel, but expensive compared to a guest house. It's basic compared to a Hilton, but I suppose it's better than a guest house. The location is second to none. But indeed there will be plenty of guest houses in town for a lot less.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

denis72 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:35 pm 1,000 B for a room which is not luxurious at all is expensive
I'd love to know where you've found a luxurious room for 1k bht! :D
This is the way
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

there are plenty of other places to stay which are much nicer than the hotel in the air force base at PKK "Sun Beach Guesthouse" is one of them with great location, pool, nice view, etc..., just google it up and you will probably find something that will suit your taste and purse
buksida

Post by buksida »

There are hundreds of 500-700 baht rooms in town, just pick one.

Don't go there looking for nocturnal action though, nightlife is non-existent.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't take this the wrong way, because I really like Prachuap, but life is almost non-existent. It is such a sleepy hollow.

denis72, I'm not sure if you know the geography, but I'd be surprised if Dan Singkorn was anywhere near the mini-van routes. You could also have a problem getting back to Prachuap. Apologies if you've done your homework already, and have a cunning plan.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:12 am but life is almost non-existent. It is such a sleepy hollow.
When was the last time you went to Bangsaphan :duck: ... Prachuap is a metropolis in comparison. :mrgreen:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Agreed, but for a provincial capital, rush hour is when somebody rides their pushbike down the street :wink:

I love it, after the hustle and bustle of Hua Hin, it reminds you what Thailand should be like. I always enjoy my little ventures down there.

Points 48; Position 20
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

buksida wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:48 am There are hundreds of 500-700 baht rooms in town, just pick one.

Don't go there looking for nocturnal action though, nightlife is non-existent.
Not hundreds, but you'll have no problem finding something for everyone, low to higher end, though you'd have a hard time finding anything higher than ฿1500.

https://goo.gl/idy7v4
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was quite shocked at some of the prices quoted there. Sun Beach - we've stayed there. Definitely didn't pay anywhere near that amount. Mind you, worth every Baht when the owner goes on a rant - Basil Faulty eat your heart out.

Also, Green Papaya. Is that the hotel MDMK talks about? 5x the price MDMK paid :?

Points 48; Position 20