[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by Wado-Karate »

A big thank you to richard and kendo for their good wishes - much appreciated :D
master klaus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by master klaus »

Good luck John!! :cheers:
Learn Kung Fu with and get fit quick
www.wt-thailand.com
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Thanks Klaus, I'll be popping down to have a chat with you soon.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
master klaus
Rookie
Rookie

Post by master klaus »

OK John, see you soon.
Learn Kung Fu with and get fit quick
www.wt-thailand.com
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

The Official Language of the WKF

Whilst sessions are taught in English and/or Thai as appropriate, the official language of the WKF is Japanese. Gradings and assessments are held entirely in Japanese.

"What," I hear you say, "I have to learn a new language?" Don't worry, it's not that bad. At each stage (belt) of the course, students are expected to learn a few key words. These words mainly reflect the different techniques that are being learnt at that stage. It is a gradual process, and is not difficult. By the time a student reaches Brown Belt status, a phrase such as "Nagashi - Zuki Gyaku - Zuki Chudan Mawashi - Geri Jodan" will be second nature to the student, and he or she will replicate those moves.

An example of what the syllabus contains is:

10 Kyu

Ritsu - Rei .......... Standing Bow
Sei Za ................ Kneel
Za - Rei .............. Kneeling Bow

(The above are used at the start and end of every training session).

Sensei ................ Instructor
Senpai ................ Elder Student
Rei ..................... Bow
Otagani ............... Everybody
Kirtz ................... Rise
Gi .......................Karate Suit
Obi ..................... Belt

9 Kyu

Kihon ................. Basic
Sonoba .............. Stay in the same place
Tsuki (or Zuki) .... Punch
Uki .................... Block
Geri (or Keri) ...... Kick
Dachi (or Tachi) .. Stance
Shiko Dachi ........ Feet apart, about twice shoulder width, toes pointing out.
Chudan .............. Middle area of body
Jodan ................. Upper area of body
Gedan ................ Lower area of body
Shizen - Tai ........ Natural stance, feet apart same width as shoulders
Ichi ................... One
Ni ..................... Two
San ................... Three
Shi (Yon) ............ Four
Go ..................... Five
Roku .................. Six
Shichi (Nana) ...... Seven
Hachi ................. Eight
Kyu .................... Nine
Ju ...................... Ten

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

The Components of Karate Training - Part II

Last Saturday, I explained the main components of karate training, but because of my low post count was unable to show examples. Today, I will give an insight to the 3 disciplines that were recorded during my 2nd Dan Grading last year.

NB: These examples are only a small demonstration of what is required to achieve 2nd Dan. The full grading process continues over a 2 hour period, and there is also a written exam for Dan Grading.

Basics

Kata

Pairwork - not mentioned above, but uses a combination of basic moves against an opponent.

Kumite

You will notice that all talking is in Japanese

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well John, my daughter really enjoyed her lesson last night, and she's already nagging to come back. I also know her well enough to know that if she likes something, she doesn't just lose interest after a short while, so you can count on having her in your dojo every Wednesday, unless you would rather she comes on Thursday or Friday instead. Either way, you now have another regular student.

Thanks for your efforts, and for other forum members reading this, please consider taking your kid/kids along. :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Thanks for those kind words Takiap. She was no problem, and managed to stay focussed through the entire lesson, which was my fear for a 7 year old. She packed quite a punch for a youngster as well, and seemed to enjoy hitting me :D

I am currently trying to persuade my young niece to start from next week as she will be the perfect partner for your daughter. I'd previously told her that she would have to wait until she was 8, so this could be a win/win situation.

If its OK with you, I'd prefer to stick Wednesdays.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

As students become proficient with their basic skills, they need to learn how to apply these skills into an attack/defensive role. In karate this is done through Kata, where the student has to demonstrate a series of tecniques in a fight with a single or multiple imaginary opponent(s).

To perfect these skills, students are required to practice at home as well as in the dojo prior to a grading. It can be extremely useful to have a source of reference to ensure the correct forms are achieved. To assist with home learning, I have made a series of videos - one for each Kata, which I post daily here on the forum until there is a full set.

The first Kata to be learnt is Kihon Kata, which is relevant to both Orange and Green Belt gradings.

Kihon Kata

If there are any movie buffs out there, you might recognise this particular kata from one of John Claude Van Dam's earlier movies, where he fought off several oppontents using these exact same moves.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

The second Kata in the series is Pinan Nidan. This is part of Green and Blue belt grading.

Pinan Nidan Kata

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Kata number 3 is Pinan Shodan. This Kata is applicable to Blue and Purple Belt grading.

Pinan Shodan Kata

Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Wado-Karate wrote:Thanks for those kind words Takiap. She was no problem, and managed to stay focussed through the entire lesson, which was my fear for a 7 year old. She packed quite a punch for a youngster as well, and seemed to enjoy hitting me :D

I am currently trying to persuade my young niece to start from next week as she will be the perfect partner for your daughter. I'd previously told her that she would have to wait until she was 8, so this could be a win/win situation.

If its OK with you, I'd prefer to stick Wednesdays.

Hi John

Lol.......think twice before you invite her to kick you. I've ended up with bruised shins on a few occasions already......lol. BTW, Wednesdays are fine, and good luck getting your niece to start as well.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Takiap wrote:Lol.......think twice before you invite her to kick you. I've ended up with bruised shins on a few occasions already......lol.
No worries, I'll have to remember to wear my competition leg guards when she learns to kick properly. :D

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

I'm suffering some sort of stomach bug at the moment, so will hopefully re-commence videos tomorrow. Today, we will talk about the minimum timescales at which promotion through the grading system can take place.

Gradings - Minimum Time Durations

9th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 10 Kyu for a minimum of 2 months and attended at least 10 training sessions.

8th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 9th Kyu for a minimum of 3 months and attended at least 15 training sessions.

7th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 8th Kyu for a minimum of 3 months and attended at least 20 training sessions.

6th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 7th Kyu for a minimum of 4 months and attended at least 25 training sessions.

5th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 6th Kyu for a minimum of 4 months and attended at least 30 training sessions.

4th Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 5th Kyu for a minimum of 4 months and attended at least 35 training sessions.

3rd Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 4th Kyu for a minimum of 5 months and attended at least 40 training sessions.

2nd Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 3rd Kyu for a minimum of 5 months and attended at least 45 training sessions.

1st Kyu - Must have held and practised regularly as a 2nd Kyu for a minimum of 6 months and attended at least 50 training sessions.

NB: The above time durations would normally include attendance at one or more courses run by Sensei Grimes. However, as his courses are usually held somewhere in Europe, he has given permission for me to use my discretion.

Promotion through the various karate grades is quite a journey, and each promotion involves a considerable amount of time, effort and commitment. When you achieve your grades with the WKF, you will know that you have earnt the grade.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Pinan Sandan Kata

Kata number 4 is Pinan Sandan. This Kata is applicable to Purple and Brown 3rd Kyu Belt grading.