[ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
PeteC

Re: [ADVERTORIAL] The Wado Karate Federation

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote:....This is not sour grapes, but a problem that Wado Ryu has in Thailand - John accepts it as a problem of living in Thailand.. Thailand has adopted Shotokan, and recognition of another style would mean somebody losing face because they may have adopted the wrong style.....
This all really begs the question why teach Wado Ryu here at all, and why should parents have their kids learn it if they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here? Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

prcscct wrote:This all really begs the question why teach Wado Ryu here at all, and why should parents have their kids learn it if they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here? Pete
Yes, and that is a huge question. This is the 'abridged answer, as I spent 3 hours writing chapter and verse, and it disappeared into the ether.

why should parents have their kids learn it

There are a lot of reasons, and kumite is near the bottom of the list. Wado Karate is a traditional style and Sport Karate is low in the pecking order.

"Wado" means "the way of peace and harmony" - "Ryu" means "school". Wado Ryu was devised by Hironori Ohtsuka, the first Grandmaster. Hironori Ohtsuka was already a master of Jiu-jitsu when he began to study Karate with Gichin Funakoshi and Choki Motobu. Wado Ryu was a development of Okinawan Karate in combination with Jui-jitsu

Physical Benefits include:

- Improved reflexes and coordination
- Increased performance in all physical activities
- Increased strength and stamina so you feel great all day
- Increased flexibility and weight control for better overall fitness
- Cardiovascular workouts ( heart and lungs ) to keep you in top shape
- Greatly improved balance
- Ability to defend yourself

Mental Benefits include:

- Improved concentration for better work and study habits
- Stress reduction and the ability to relax
- Confidence in knowing you can defend yourself and your family
- Confidence in knowing how to deal with bullies and other confrontations
- A positive attitude toward life through self-confidence and self-discipline
- Self-esteem and your outlook on life
- Respect for yourself and those around you
- Motivation and an 'I Can Do It' attitude

they'll be discriminated against in competitions and/or their talent ignored?

I think this shows where your misunderstanding is. All over the world the various forms of karate are kept seperate, and only brought together in the name of sport. Thailand isn't much different, but barriers are proving to be harder to break down.

Last year I was allowed to enter the Thailand Open, which was primarily Shotokan for Thais, although I wasn't awarded a single point which surprised many, including my opponent, who actually thought he'd lost. The work I did last year has now opened the door for other non-Shotokan competitors this year.

Last weekend I was able to enter another primarily Shotokan event. Many of the referees were the same. This time I made it to the semi-final, and won a medal.

At last weekend's event I was invited to a Goju Ryu tournament being fought in bangkok in August.

All over the world karate styles work within their own circles. They invite outsiders to boost numbers for their competitions. However, when it comes to International level, each style is a closed shop, and each nation has several International Teams who each attend their own world championships. The main international squad is selected from the mini-squads.

Mine is one of 3 Wado schools that I know of in Thailand. Senseis from the 3 clubs are due to meet in August to discuss inter-club Wado Championships in Thailand. When we feel we're ready, we'll stage our own championships - our champion could, in theory progress to the Wado world championships in Japan. My club is affiliated to the World Karate Federation. So talent could/will be recognised. We would invite other styles to boost competition numbers.

Once recognised on the karate circuit, we'll start to get our own referees involved, and as Wado increases, bias should diminish. I myself will be travelling to the UK next year to hopefully gain my 3rd Dan, at which point I will join the referree circuit (following training).

Everyone is in Thailand, and Thailand seems to be all Shotokan, so why not adapt to what's common here?

Yes, the majority is Shotokan. However to get karate into the Olympics, styles need to merge. If Thailand doesn't get real, it will be left behind.

Here in Hua Hin, I'm the only act in town; although I've never told anybody that thay shouldn't cross-fertilize. Actually, what I've just said is a white lie. There is currently a Shotokan sensei in town for 13 weeks, teaching 14/15 year olds in a local school while he's there.

Actually, I support cross fertilization, and I've incorporated the best of the best into some of my teaching, although grading is strictly controlled through our traing syllabus.

Yes, long winded answer, but it was a HUGE question.
Karate - The Hardest Part Is Walking Through The Dojo Door

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The "Benefits" section was what I concluded the answer is while I was writing the question. Mental and physical improvement is the important part and what parents should really be looking at. The goal shouldn't be to be the next karate kid, but I'm sure some parents think of that.

Thanks for the clarification and time to answer it all. The question needed to be explored given the direction the thread was going. Congratulations on your medal John. :thumb: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Hi Pete

You are correct in saying that some (or many) parents will be interested in the whole "competition" thing. This is why you'll find so many overcrowded Taekwondo schools here.

Personally, and as a parent, I agree with John when he says competitions are right down near the bottom of the pecking order. In fact, it was not even something I thought about when I made the decision to let my daughter join John's club. If she can enter competitions then that's great, but I also wouldn't be bothered if she can't.

To be honest, I think it is disgraceful how Taekwondo has moved from being a wonderful martial art, to being something comparable to bogus wrestling. Yes, it's still a beautiful martial art, but if I look around me, it is now 100% a competition sport, and nothing more.

Our youngest daughter started Taekwondo about three months ago, and her progress is very impressive, but in truth, progress is limited to fancy kicks and flexibility. Her training is strictly for competitions. I know times change, but the Taekwondo they teach nowadays is nothing like the way I was taught 20 odd years ago. :shock: :oops:

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say, is that parents (or individuals) have to decide what is more important - winning competitions or ........

Lastly, I think is it great that John is so determined to give Wado a voice in Thailand. My oldest daughter is very happy in his club, and both her and I understand that it is not all about getting a black belt and/or entering competitions. But, as you have said, there are obviously many parents out there with very different opinions.

:cheers:

PS: Ignore poor spelling/grammar. It's still very early. :laugh:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

A big thank you to Ginjaninja for these action photos taken at last Sunday's quarter final in Pattaya.
IMG_0130.jpg
IMG_0130.jpg (69.75 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0132.jpg
IMG_0132.jpg (94.11 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0137.jpg
IMG_0137.jpg (99.3 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0140.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg (100.17 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0145.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg (98.86 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg (98.69 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0168.jpg
IMG_0168.jpg (93.47 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0180.jpg
IMG_0180.jpg (103.27 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0190.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg (99.86 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Don't forget, the first lesson is always free with the WKF - absolutely no obligation
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

More photos from GN:
IMG_0194.jpg
IMG_0194.jpg (102.57 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0204.jpg
IMG_0204.jpg (103.16 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0206.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg (104.04 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0220.jpg
IMG_0220.jpg (101.25 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0223.jpg
IMG_0223.jpg (98.84 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0229.jpg
IMG_0229.jpg (102.41 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg (100.47 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0256.jpg
IMG_0256.jpg (100.9 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0279.jpg
IMG_0279.jpg (100.72 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
IMG_0282.jpg
IMG_0282.jpg (102.05 KiB) Viewed 1647 times

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

The road to the Dojo is now fully re-opened.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENTS:

1. The Dojo will be closed on Friday 31 Jul'15 because of Sensei John's competition in Bangkok.

2. Seinsei John has been invited to teach/train at the Wado Dojo in Chiang Mai during week commencing 23 Aug'15. As a result, the Hua Hin Dojo will be closed all of that week.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

Almost on the eve of the Thailand Karate Open, I have received the following communication from the Thailand Karate Federation (TKF):

"Regarding your application I have discussed with TKF's committee we regret that we accept only athlete from team that is recognised by Thailand Karate Federation. Please accept my apology. I am sorry that I have informed your ex girlfriend that we accept your application as I thought there should not be any problem as you joined our previous Thailand Open before. The only way for you as individual to be able to compete in our championship is you have to be member of a club that recognised by TKF and apply to us via that club. "

In other words, I have to be a member of a Shotokan club.

I replied:

"Thank you very much for your e-mail. At least you have saved me a wasted trip Bangkok on the 26th or 27th.

I am very disappointed, and have been training tirelessly for several months in preparation. Because of your previous confirmation I, my family and many supporters have made travel arrangements, including hotel bookings, which cannot be refunded. Basically the mis-information has cost us thousands of Baht.

What I don’t understand is I followed the registration process to the letter, submitting all 3 stages of registration by EMS to ensure proof of receipt. At no stage during the 3 month registration process did anybody reject my application. Surely your misinformation and the failure to reject my application formally, puts TKF in a very poor light, and such petty treatment should be reported to the WKF. Of course I won’t because that would make me as low as the TKF.

Regarding recognition by the TKF, I tried, but so many barriers were put in the way of a Wado club, I gave up.

I had been warned of this type of treatment by other Wado clubs in Thailand, but didn’t believe it."

So Sensei John will not be competing in this year's Thailand Karate Open. Open to anybody that fights Shotokan. Perhaps they need to consider changing the name to the Thailand Shotokan Karate event. This event is certainly NOT OPEN TO ALL KARATEKA PRACTICING IN THAILAND.

A very big thank you for all of those who have given up so much time helping me to prepare.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

My father has appealed to the TKF regarding my exclusion from the Thailand Karate Open 2015. This will really show the TKF's anti-Wado stance if they still refuse:
I assume that as TKF Foreign Affairs coordinator, you will be the correct person to speak to.

I am John Oliver’s father. We spoke briefly on the telephone last night about my son, John Oliver. You subsequently e-mailed him some very bad news, which understandably made him very angry. He has been training very hard for this competition all year, and has been looking very sharp.

Your e-mail to John yesterday was really unfortunate. John had followed every step of the 3 month registration process, and has evidence that the applications were received. Not once during the 3 month process did anybody reject his application forms. I know that his girlfriend at the time was also regularly checking with you by telephone. Additionally, your e-mail confirms that he had been told verbally that his registration was alright.

I have been discussing his problem with Sensei George Grimes (8th Dan Kyoshi Shihan), Chief Instructor of the Wado Karate Federation in Bristol, England. He is totally bemused by the decision. He has said that he is willing to sponsor John as an English contestant. John is still fully registered with the Bristol club, and his current English Karate Federation Registration Number is 255821. John holds dual nationality, and has a valid English Passport

Now, this is a very messy situation, but Sensei George believes it should not be impossible to resolve.

When we spoke on the telephone yesterday, you said that John should turn up at registration on Sunday afternoon or Monday morning to put his case to the President of the Thai Karate Federation. By saying that, I am assuming that he was not entirely out of the frame to compete at that moment in time.

Is it possible for John to turn up to register as an English competitor on Monday morning please? This would really eliminate a lot of bad feeling, and seems to be a good compromise.

John is really hurting, and an early decision would be greatly appreciated.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

My faith has been restored:
I am responsible for foreign registration. If John holds English passport it is better for him to register to compete as under Wado Karate Federation from England. This case would be easier and he is surely be able to join the championships. It would be very helpful if he has a letter from Wado Karate Federation England. Under these circumstances he should carry an official letter and come on the registration day.

ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

i dont follow any form of karate anymore , but i am hoping everything goes OK for you and you get to compete

good luck
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This video should come with a public health warning. After such a long build up, Sensei John’s entry in the 2015 Thailand Karate Open was at last happening.

The entire tournament was a complete organisational sham for John, in fact only 6 days ago The Thailand Karate Federation (TKF) told him he was no longer allowed to fight in the competition. From that point onwards, he overcame obstacle after obstacle and was well up for the fight.

His training had gone as well as it could have been expected, and he was looking really hot going into the tournament.

Previously he had believed TKF were very biased against Wado fighters – today he fought another Wado Ryu fighter, so no excuses there. He has often complained about biased refereeing – today he had an International set of judges, so no excuses there. This was going to be his best chance ever in Thailand.

In the end, I don’t know what happened, but after overcoming so many obstacles en-route to this tournament, he just didn’t bring anything to the party. I have seen him fight many times, and he usually hurts the other guy, even if he can’t beat him. OK, he hurt him a little (and didn’t actually get hit by the other guy), but basically it was a bad day at the office for John. Leading up to the fight, he said several times that he had no nerves – maybe that was the reason.

Watch the video, and judge for yourselves.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

CLUB ANNOUNCEMENT

Friday 6 Aug 15, after the children's training session, the club will be holding it's 3rd Birthday celebration for past and present members, young and old.

We would also like to take the opportunity to have a dad's meeting over a couple of beers to discuss the way forward with children's kumite sessions/competition.

Wado-Karate
Professional
Professional

Post by Wado-Karate »

A useful meeting last night, coupled with celebrations to celebrate the club's 3rd birthday.

It was great to see the kids enjoying themselves so much, especially the playing of 'old fashioned' playground games such as Bulldog, Leap Frog, Ring a Roses and What's the Time Mr Wolf, etc. I didn't think such games were in modern kid's vocabulary.

Thanks to all who came.
DSC00001.jpg
DSC00001.jpg (107.34 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
DSC00002.jpg
DSC00002.jpg (124 KiB) Viewed 1133 times