Hua Hin Jazz Festival & Asia Jazz 2014

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
buksida

Re: Hua Hin Jazz Festival & Asia Jazz 2014

Post by buksida »

As usual it is a Pattaya newspaper that has more news on Hua Hin than the useless rags you get here ...
jazz.jpg
jazz.jpg (22.79 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
Back to the swing of things for the Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will be one of the main supporters of this year’s “Jazz Up Hua Hin” Jazz Festival 2014, now one of the kingdom’s most influential music events, held annually at the popular beach resort on the Thai gulf.

Jointly presented and organised by BOFFO Thailand and the Hua Hin Municipality, this year’s jazz event will be held on Saturday, 26 July, 2014, at Suan Luang Rachinee 19 Rai park from 17:00-23:00 hrs. and is free of charge for all jazz lovers, both local and international.

TAT Governor Thawatchai Arunyik said, “The Jazz Up Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014 will breathe new life into Thailand’s jazz scene by bringing together local and international talent including some big names. The Festival is aimed to jazz purists, the people who know their Billie Holiday from their Benny Goodman rather than just general music fans.

“So, the organisers have invited some of the world’s best jazz singers and musicians to ensure that this is a high profile music festival that will further enhance Thailand’s image as synonymous with jazz as it is with beaches and cuisine.”

The Festival will also offer a platform for home-grown jazz talent, with some of the best Thai bands and performers have been invited to play. One of the best known of these is Saxophone Madness, a popular local group who will open the event with their unique sax-based music.

Overseas performers include Steve Cannon, the world’s leading trumpeter from the United States, who will play a tribute to his hero Chet Baker, the legendary American jazz trumpeter and vocalist from the age of ‘Cool Jazz.’ Also on the bill are Jazz Stars Battle, The Travellers as well as Infinity and Soul After Six, one of the kingdom’s leading jazz bands.

The Travellers are a combo-style jazz band from Japan recognised by jazz purists for their magical improvisation, and they made an impact in the kingdom when they played at Chiang Mai’s ‘Fat Fest’ event.

Infinity has been Thailand’s leading jazz fusion band for over 25 years and is a role model for all of the kingdom’s young jazz musicians. Over the years, they have made a name for themselves internationally and their album, “Andaman Day”, which celebrated the beauty of Thailand’s coast, was a great advert for Thailand.

Soul After Six, are a local jazz band who are celebrated for fusing traditional jazz styles with elements of pop and rock.

The TAT Governor said, "We hope the Jazz Up Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014 will attract both local and international jazz fans to Hua Hin. There is a great deal for them to enjoy at this beach resort. On top of the music festival, there are many fine restaurants in the town, lovely beaches and many wonderful attractions to visit. Everyone who comes is sure to have a wonderful time."
jazz2.jpg
jazz2.jpg (34.65 KiB) Viewed 2685 times
http://www.pattayamail.com/travel/hua-h ... 2014-38484

More: http://jazzfestivalhuahin.com/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

great news and we don't have to put the waders and there is toilets avalible,have already put it in
my calender :dance: :dance:

:cheers: :cheers:
buksida

Post by buksida »

hhjf14.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
gerpies
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gerpies »

Looks promising..

Am I correct in thinking that Suan Luang Rachinee Park is the beachside park next to Sip Gow Rai (19 Rai Park)? Close to the beach end of Soi 19?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Programme has been released:
Jazz.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

More details:

"This year’s Hua Hin Jazz Festival promises to provide a new experience for jazz enthusiasts by delivering programs and activities designed to delight even purebred jazz lovers.

The festival organizers have invited an impressive line-up of jazz artists, jazz producers and instrumentalists, to make sure that the Hua Hin Jazz Festival becomes one of the must attend annual musical extravaganzas within the region.

The Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014, set in the charming beach resort of Hua Hin, will be held on 26 July 2014 from 5:00 pm until midnight.

Thai Artists - Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014
Battle I: Saxophone Madness

Koh Mr.Saxman, the internationally famous Thai saxophone artist headlines this segment of the festival. Mr. Saxman has been instrumental and influential in the growth and development of saxophone in Thailand putting it into mainstream music in the last 10 years. This saxophone battle segment is further boosted by the equally strong performances by saxophone heavyweights, such as Pisoot Prateeprase (T-Bone), Passakorn Mora (the latest Kom-Chud-Luek Award winner), Krit Booranawittayawut (producer), and Tong-Tewan Subsanyakorn, who will appear as a very special guest.
Battle II: The Voice vs. the All Stars

To further impress the audience, this year’s festival has selected real jazz artists from among the pool of talents who can deliver both in voice talents and superior stage performances. Thus the festival pits The Voice Jazz Singers (May- Fang Khao and Nut-The Voice) with All Star Jazz Singers (King-The Star, Pure KPN and Nat-The Winner of Thailand Jazz Singing Contest), including two bands under the direction of Arnut Euemwongsrikul and Rattana Wongsansern.

Showcases - Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014
Showcase I: Steve Canon Band – The New Compositions & Beyond

Steve Canon, the famous trumpet man from the U.S.A., and his band is sure to impress jazz lovers at the Hua Hin International Jazz Festival. Steve will present songs from his new album. In the name of Trumpet man, Steve will dedicate his romantic songs to Chet Baker - the legend jazz trumpet from Cool Jazz Age - who would have celebrated his 85th birthday this year. He passed away in 1988.

Showcase II: The Travellers

This jazz band from Japan is famous for their improvisations, which leave the audience spellbound. Their new indie-jazz style and achievement on the Fat Fest, makes them a jazz heavyweight who are sure to wow the audience with their trendy jazz performance.

Showcase III: Infinity

Thailand’s very own jazz-fusion band - Infinity, is expected to give the top international jazz performers a run for their music. Led by Chumpol Supanyo, these talented musicians who have recorded several precious jazz album and won many awards is expected to be a big hit during their special show of jazz by the beach.

Finale: Soul After Six

And for the finale, Hua Hin Jazz Festival will present “Soul After Six”, whose alternative legacy conforms to pop, rock and jazz. Stylistic in their own way, this band is one of the longest remembered artists of their time, with songs still alive until now, being enjoyed by even the younger disciples. They have proved that good songs are timeless. The band prepares a unique brass instrument for this international jazz event as they perform the songs of 80s, especially those of the fusion jazz heavy “The Tower of Power”. A perfect epilogue for the Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2014.

Thousands are expected to attend the Hua Hin International Jazz Festival 2014, and being just 3 or so hours from Bangkok, hotels are likely to fill quickly."

Source: http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news14/11 ... Jazz.shtml
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
duan

Post by duan »

Having just failed to send a pm to Big Boy who I am sure would know the answer to my query I would be very grateful for advice on where is the best place for me to arrange a taxi/ tuk tuk drop off/ pick up point for this weekends Jazz Festival.
I have only been to Queens Park once many years ago and I seem to recall a very narrow road and bearing in mind that the area may be packed with Bangkok Thais I certainly don't want to have to walk back into the town centre with a whole load of drunk thai kids dreaming back into town on their motorbikes.
All advice would be greatly appreciated.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Its actually a long fairly wide (about 4 'unmarked' lanes wide). Drop off, I shouldn'y think you'd have any difficulty getting the taxi right up to the place. If you're worried about pick-up, I would suggest the Petchkasem/Soi 19 junction (photos from immigration thread).
DSC06223.jpg
DSC06224.jpg
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I certainly don't want to have to walk back into the town centre with a whole load of drunk thai kids dreaming back into town on their motorbikes.
I'm not sure how many kids will be there, I was talking to a local Thai musician last night and when I mentioned the Jazz Festival, he said you have to be over sixty for that!
Anyway, the Queens Park is at the end of soi 19 if you need to book a taxi and it's not that far to walk back to Petchakasem road if you need to get a bus or whatever.
duan

Post by duan »

Many thanks for the quick responses.
Roughly how long would it take me to walk from Queens Park to the Phetchkasem road junction?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

5 minutes

Points 48; Position 18
buksida

Post by buksida »

If anyone is going tonight please post some pics, cant make this one myself.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Don't rely on me, I'll be in Thanyaburi, Pathum Thani province. I wanted to go, but unfortunately dates clashed.

Points 48; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I went along last night and it was a pretty impressive event, a far better set up than when they used to have it on the beach. Very pleasant music as well, more of that laid back smooth jazz with female vocals reminiscent of the stuff that Sade used to do back in the eighties rather than traditional jazz. It was well attended without being crowded, with plenty of Bangkok weekenders and farang couples making up the majority.
Sorry I didn't get any pictures, I was heading into town after and didn't feel like carrying a camera.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Some shots here since nobody has posted any: http://www.asiatraveltips.com/Pictureso ... 2014.shtml