Songkran 2014 - Photo Report

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Big Boy

Songkran 2014 - Photo Report

Post by Big Boy »

Well, it’s that time of year again. Happy New Year everybody.

After having to spend last Songkran locked up at home to protect my wound, I was determined to get amongst it this year. We did the traditional things with the family at home early this morning, which left the rest of the day free to enjoy the event.

My son and I set off down Soi 94 at about 10:30 – I was totally unarmed. There was already a guy with a lovely sun tan totally out of his mind dancing with the traffic at our first ambush. Actually, Soi 94 was disappointingly quiet, with just a few light skirmishes.
a guy with a lovely sun tan totally out of his mind dancing with the traffic
a guy with a lovely sun tan totally out of his mind dancing with the traffic
P4131414b.JPG (97.17 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
a few light skirmishes
a few light skirmishes
P4131418b.JPG (112.99 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We arrived at my daughter’s house, where the natives seemed to take pleasure in trying to water-board me. I left there feeling rather damp, and my feet had developed Donald Duck syndrome, which stayed with me for the rest of the day. Every time I took a step, it was if a duck had just quacked.

We then made our way onto Petchakasem, and headed towards the centre. Imagine our surprise when an old codger started bombarding us with water bombs from the 9th floor of Condo Chain (just joking Richard). Traffic was very heavy, but not at a complete standstill. There were many skirmishes on this stretch. People stood on the roadside basically let us pass, but those riding their Thai Battlewagons, heavily loaded with ammunition did not show the same mercy. We suffered a few radioactive (iced-water) strikes, but we continued regardless.
Thai Battlewagons, heavily loaded with ammunition did not show the same mercy
P4131441b.JPG (100.39 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
P4131442b.JPG (94.07 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We stopped off on the way to take a look at the Market Village Foam Party. They only had the small pool filled when we were there, but people seemed to be having loads of fun. I was quite amused to see kids playing in MV’s ornamental ponds – they’ve always seemed a little smelly to me but I don’t suppose kids care too much.
Market Village Foam Party
P4131457b.JPG (110.27 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
P4131460b.JPG (93.32 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
kids playing in MV’s ornamental ponds
kids playing in MV’s ornamental ponds
P4131466b.JPG (113.97 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We carried on to the centre, picking up some friends from their hotel en-route. This was our friends’ first Songkran, but they were well tooled up for the fight. They managed to stay dry for about 30 seconds, and it wasn’t long before they became battle hardened.
They managed to stay dry for about 30 seconds
They managed to stay dry for about 30 seconds
DSC04329b.JPG (148.36 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We made our way up Naresdami Road, where there was quite a battle going on. There were many snipers hidden in the bars on the Eastern side of the road. This combined with regular attacks from the Thai Battle Wagons as they rolled through made this stretch quite treacherous.
We made our way up Naresdami Road
We made our way up Naresdami Road
DSC04341b.JPG (155.51 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
There were many snipers hidden in the bars on the Eastern side of the road.
There were many snipers hidden in the bars on the Eastern side of the road.
DSC04348b.JPG (151.42 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We took a turn into the tranquility of Soi Binthabat. We have survived many campaigns battling in Binthabat, and were shocked this year at how quiet it was.
how quiet it was
how quiet it was
DSC04349b.JPG (142.16 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We took a quick right into the road that doesn’t seem to have a name, and battled our way towards the 5 Street Foam Party. Not as big as the Market Village Foam Party, but every bit as much fun. This was a proper party, with quite a few dead Sangsum bottle in evidence. This definitely seemed to be the place to be.
We took a quick right into the road that doesn’t seem to have a name
We took a quick right into the road that doesn’t seem to have a name
DSC04350b.JPG (159.85 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We stopped at one of the local hostelries for lunch, and just watched the fun in the foam. I must say that the foam looked great fun, but the constant pounding of the sound they called music was mind numbing after a while. Refreshed we continued our tour down through Soi Selakem, which was also very lively.
We stopped at one of the local hostelries for lunch, and just watched the fun in the foam.
We stopped at one of the local hostelries for lunch, and just watched the fun in the foam.
DSC04356b.JPG (161.32 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
DSC04365b.JPG (139.21 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
we continued our tour down through Soi Selakem
we continued our tour down through Soi Selakem
DSC04380b.JPG (156.45 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
At the end of Soi Selakem we took a left and moved along Poolsuk Road. Fighting was fierce here, especially from those who had the higher ground as we made our way through this relative valley. We considered turning left down Binthabat, but it was still Sleepy Hollow. The action looked better on Poolsuk. We managed to fight our way, taking crossfire all of the way until Soi Kanjanomai, when it was as if a ceasefire had been declared. The road in front of us was clear (read boring).
Poolsuk Road
Poolsuk Road
DSC04386b.JPG (151.39 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
We took a left down Soi Kanjanomai, but this was a bit of a non-event. Just one minor skirmish the entire length of the Soi, and we soon quietened them down.

As we reached the end of Soi Kanjanomai, we could see the mayhem that we’d experienced on Naresdami Road. It was more than just sniper action this time, it was all out war. The battery on the waterproof camera had died over a hour ago. Fighting on this stretch was so fierce that I was forced to take cover several times to maintain the integrity of the camera.
it was all out war
it was all out war
DSC04401b.JPG (165.3 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
Again, we considered Binthabat, but a glance to the left told us not to bother. We carried on along Naresdami Road. I crossed the road to gain partial cover from the Hilton wall – something I’d learnt during previous campaigns. We were going to make our way down towards the fishing pier, but the Songkran parade started. It was very colourful but in my opinion, not as good as previous parades. It was very bitty, with many motorcycles interfering with a smooth parade.
the Songkran parade
the Songkran parade
DSC04418b.JPG (165.05 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
the Songkran parade
the Songkran parade
DSC04425b.JPG (145.21 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
the Songkran parade
the Songkran parade
DSC04432b.JPG (145.86 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
After the parade, we made our way back to the 5 Street Foam party for a while. Being an old git, I always do Songkran until the parade. Not long after I started the soggy walk home. It was via Binthabat again, which was a little livelier, but still quiet from previous years.
Post Report Note – my son who came home later did say that it had got busier.

On the way home, I walked past the water department going towards the station. This was the craziest I’d seen all day.
This was the craziest I’d seen all day.
This was the craziest I’d seen all day.
DSC04453b.JPG (150.43 KiB) Viewed 1663 times
The rest of the walk home was soggy, but uneventful until just before I turned into my road. There were 3 revelers, one with a hose. The one with the hose started getting very close to me, and then started to concentrate on where my camera was clipped to my belt. She was either trying to destroy my camera, or steal it. I stopped the deed immediately with an upset lady, and her hose laying on the ground. Had I been drinking, I’d have lost my camera one way or another. This sour incident spoiled an otherwise fantastic day where I had been noticing everybody smiling.

Roll on next Songkran.

Many more photos here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1 and here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 718&type=1
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
huahinjim
Professional
Professional

Re: Songkran 2014 - Photo Report

Post by huahinjim »

Nice pics BB. Thanks
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Nice pics and report BB

Water bomb? I'd have needed a mortar to get to you across Petcha :laugh:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Great photo report, really captures it for those that have never been in Hua Hin for this.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Agreed.

Almost tempted me to go back into the fray next year.
Almost, but not quite! :laugh:
The one with the hose started getting very close to me, and then started to concentrate on where my camera was clipped to my belt.
But didn't you have a plastic bag to protect your camera, phone, wallet, etc.?
This is the way
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, of course. What the woman didn't realise was that my camera was double wrapped in plastic bags inside the clip-on belt case. I also had 2 spare bags in reserve, hidden in my back pocket. However, this was a targeted attack, and I strongly suspect theft as the motive.

For anybody interested in a casualty report after yesterday's adventure, one blistered little toe, and 3 sore heads. We are all expected to make a full recovery :D .

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote:Yes, of course. What the woman didn't realise was that my camera was double wrapped in plastic bags inside the clip-on belt case. I also had 2 spare bags in reserve, hidden in my back pocket. However, this was a targeted attack, and I strongly suspect theft as the motive.

For anybody interested in a casualty report after yesterday's adventure, one blistered little toe, and 3 sore heads. We are all expected to make a full recovery :D .
Were the sore heads self inflicted? :cheers:
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it was a necessity. It was a hot day, and they needed to take on plenty of fluids. :wink:

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Well - we took the HHFL "battle wagon' into the fray with our troops yesterday. Great fun had by all and spotted BB & Son twice in the mayhem.

Nice report sir.

Not wishing to put a downer on things, but how do you explain this:-

No doubt, unless we get some substantial rain, the good old authorities will be cutting off water supplies to parts of town. It happens every year. :roll:

During the mayhem yesterday the good ship HHFL ran dry of the wet stuff. So - with cleverly timed routing, Capt. Terry ensured adequate re-arming by passing the water works next to Phong King Phet Park, no less than 3 times. Here, for just THB 20 a pop, you could get speedy refills from the ever eager to please staff, from any one of 4 hoses all gushing at full blast at the roadside - they didn't give green shield stamps tho.............. :(

Amazing Thailand :thumb: :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Terry wrote:No doubt, unless we get some substantial rain, the good old authorities will be cutting off water supplies to parts of town. It happens every year. :roll:

During the mayhem yesterday the good ship HHFL ran dry of the wet stuff. So - with cleverly timed routing, Capt. Terry ensured adequate re-arming by passing the water works next to Phong King Phet Park, no less than 3 times. Here, for just THB 20 a pop, you could get speedy refills from the ever eager to please staff, from any one of 4 hoses all gushing at full blast at the roadside - they didn't give green shield stamps tho.............. :(

Amazing Thailand :thumb: :thumb:
As I said in my report. this was the craziest part of town IMHO. As I walked past, I'd never seen that reservoir so full before. So they can find water for important events if they need to.

Points 48; Position 20
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

For sure they can

I've always believed that every problem in our adopted homeland is man-made. :banghead:
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

Big Boy, the soi that you mentioned that doesn't seem to have a name, I believe may officially be called Soi Bumrungrad. I remember seeing somewhere some time ago that it used to
have a signpost bearing that name.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Big Boy, How did you protect your camera while you were shooting. We went for a two and a half hour walk down Soi 94 (as well), then Phetkasem Road and up Soi 80, south on the railway road and back up Soi 88. I had my camera double wrapped in plastic zip lock bags with one stretched tightly over the lens but the photos still came out "foggy" because of the bag. If it had not been wrapped even while taking photos it would definitely have been ruined. I needed a water proof or housed camera. It got doused or squirted several times while I was shooting.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I borrowed a waterproof camera, but the battery didn't last to the end on Petchkasem. Also, I think bits of water must have got on to the sensor occasionally because I had to throw 39 out of focus photos away.

Fortunately, my point and shoot is compact enough to conceal in the palm of my waterproof hand. However, when not taking photos, I was keeping it inside 2 plastic bags. The 2 plastic bags and the camera were concealed inside my clip on carry case for long(ish) periods.

Points 48; Position 20
KowPatGai
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KowPatGai »

I took my waterproof camera and my phone in a waterproof pouch. Spent most of the day around Bintabat where it was very lively, nice floats and procession outside the Hilton as well. I headed up Soi 80 for a little while and then back to Binters. My mood was starting to go downhill as the eyes were starting to sting a bit... Those with goggles had the right idea! Plus, I noticed my waterproof pouch was compromised, I'd paid good money for this in the UK so was a little narked it was leaky.

The walk back home was largely uneventful, I got some street food over the train tracks and began to dry out. Sure enough I got drenched and powdered again less than a hundred feet from home!

Back in the room my smartphone phone was now on the blink and I couldn't get a stream of the big match so had to settle for radio commentary only.

Around 10pm decided to get back on the horse and in clean clothes headed back to Binters armed... Just in case. Things were still pretty lively with many soldiers showing the effects of all day Samsong. Still plenty of action in a few of the bar sois until past 1am but the bouncer at the nightclub did make me empty ammunition and surrender my weaponry on the door.

After spending the night strapped to the curtain rail under the aircon, I am happy to be using my phone again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk