Loy Krathong Hua Hin 2014

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Loy Krathong

Post by kendo »

We have done a couple of Loy Krathongs in Hua Hin but was a bit disappointed at the beach it was just far to windy we ended up launching them in puddles by the rocks. You would be better finding a sheltered river location.
As for the traffic it was the busiest I have ever seen in Hua Hin get there early or you will need a lot of patience.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Away from the HH tourist hyped razzamatazz try near the fishing pier. It is quiet, serene and not crowded. Many Thais do their thing there
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

The Fishing pier was closed with a make shift barrier last time I went down there for a wonder.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

kendo wrote:The Fishing pier was closed with a make shift barrier last time I went down there for a wonder.
Not on the pier. On the small beaches either side
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So, c'mon guys - what's happening for this year's Loy Krathong. We know what's happened in previous years, but I've only seen one poster for this year, and it was so badly positioned, I haven't had time to read it yet. I'll try to get out to grab a photo later - the only thing I read as I drove past was that it was happening on the 6th..

So where are this year's events, and on what days?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just been out, and have taken 2 photos.

The first is totally cocked up (shoot the photographer) but the whole poster is saying there is an event (similar to last year) at Khao Tao on 6 Nov 14. If it is the same as last year, it is a great night out, but you will have to run the gauntlet of what last year proved to be the worst traffic I have ever seen in Thailand. Driver being suicidal is not too strong a statement.
DSC00353.JPG
The second poster informs of a festival at Khao Takiab on 5 Nov 14.
Khao Takiab Loy Krathong Festival
Khao Takiab Loy Krathong Festival
DSC00352.jpg (97.29 KiB) Viewed 1039 times
Still looking for more Loy Krathong events in the area.

Points 51; Position 21
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The Dai people (Tai) in China have also their version of the Loy Krathong song. The video must be from Hainan island, where there are some tai-speaking minorities.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In reply, we'd better have the traditional song, with English lyrics to make it more understandable for thickies like me.

Points 51; Position 21
Stargeezer
Professional
Professional

Post by Stargeezer »

Is there any celebrations at the lake where the Dragon boats
have their festival, I imagine it would be less windy there that at the oceans edge?
Just my thoughts, as it was great for the Dragon boats when I was there
except for the 1000 decibel music from those big speakers at the event.
Oh! My old sensitive ears!
Stargeezer
Pluto is my favorite planet!, especially now that we all can see close up
pictures of it.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ That's what BB's post above was about - Khao Tao is the area where the dragon boat races are held and the Loy Kratong festival will be at the same place at the reservoir/lake.

There are also a couple of other events hosted by the Tetsaban.
1. 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. - Kratong making contest and display. At Pone Kingpetch park (Near Red Cross, Water Company, opposite TOT)
2. 5 p.m. - Loy Kratong themed float procession starting at the weather bureau and going along Phetkasem to the clock tower Wat Hua Hin area.

There is also usually something going on at Queen's Park 19 rai, but nothing like what will be at Khao Tao. However 19 rai is easier to get to and has plenty of parking.

No idea what the main beach in Hua Hin is like on Loy Kratong day these days. I expect it's a lot quieter than it used to be, but there used to be Kratong sellers' stalls set up on the way down to the beach. Many locals and tourists will probably go there as well.

Good luck and safe travel to anyone going to Khao Tao. BB's description of the traffic last year certainly puts me off.

Cheers.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks hhinner, I've been waiting for somebody to confirm the float procession. So, have they changed the route this year?

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

hhinner wrote:2. 5 p.m. - Loy Kratong themed float procession starting at the weather bureau and going along Phetkasem to the clock tower Wat Hua Hin area.
Big Boy wrote: So, have they changed the route this year?
My eldest granddaughter is taking part in the parade, and has been told she will be taking the usual route, which is basically the opposite to what hhinner stated.

TIT, so I guess we'll not find out for definite until this evening, but IMHO starting from the weather station would cause too much traffic disruption, as the floats start gathering for several hours before they actually start.

Whichever route it takes, it is usually a very colourful event, and worth watching.

Points 51; Position 21
Big Boy

Re: Loy Krathong Hua Hin 2014

Post by Big Boy »

I refuse to experience the traffic madness getting to Khao Tao for this evening's festivities. However, I was down that way this morning, so decided to take a look.

I parked in the temple, and took a walk down beside the lake. First thing that I saw was dozens of stalls being set up to sell all manner of items.
dozens of stalls being set up to sell all manner of items
Not least were the many stalls to sell the little boats to be sold later. Stall holders were busily manufacturing at the stall. Some were really beautiful.
many stalls to sell the little boats
many stalls to sell the little boats
DSC00368.jpg (109.47 KiB) Viewed 614 times
Some were really beautiful
DSC00380.jpg (94.62 KiB) Viewed 614 times
The waterfront was being suitably decorated for the event, and the pier was decorated, and adorned with a launch platform for the little boats.
waterfront was being suitably decorated for the event
DSC00369.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 614 times
the pier was decorated, and adorned with a launch platform for the little boats
the pier was decorated, and adorned with a launch platform for the little boats
As we reached the far end of the lake. 2 huge stage areas were being erected for the evening's entertainment.
2 huge stage areas were being erected
There were also indications that there will be all of the fun of the fair.
all of the fun of the fair
all of the fun of the fair
As we were leaving, a few early revelers arrived to float their boats.
a few early revelers arrived
a few early revelers arrived
floating their boats
floating their boats
One minor improvement that I could see when comparing to last year's chaos, is that a couple of small parking areas have been assigned. However, with the volume of traffic expected, this will be inadequate.

Points 51; Position 21
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Big Boy wrote:
hhinner wrote:2. 5 p.m. - Loy Kratong themed float procession starting at the weather bureau and going along Phetkasem to the clock tower Wat Hua Hin area.
Big Boy wrote: So, have they changed the route this year?
My eldest granddaughter is taking part in the parade, and has been told she will be taking the usual route, which is basically the opposite to what hhinner stated.

TIT, so I guess we'll not find out for definite until this evening, but IMHO starting from the weather station would cause too much traffic disruption, as the floats start gathering for several hours before they actually start.

Whichever route it takes, it is usually a very colourful event, and worth watching.
Sorry if there was any confusion. I got the info from the tessaban website. Unfortunately I forgot about the procession today so we missed it. The tessaban website clearly says it was to start from the weather station. I'm sure it was worth seeing whichever direction it took.

We went down to 19 rai which was very busy. Lots of really nice kratongs for sale, better than last year's we thought.

Anyhow here's the tessaban's info, but it wouldn't be the first time it's been wrong.
ภาคเย็น เวลา 17.00 น. เป็นต้นไป พบกับขบวนแห่รถกระทงจากหน่วยงานและองค์กรต่างๆ ในเขตเทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน อาทิ เทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน สภาวัฒนธรรมอำเภอหัวหิน, กลุ่มสตรีแม่บ้านเทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน, ชมรมอีสานสัมพันธ์, ชมรมชาวเหนือหัวหิน, มหาวิทยาลัยเทคโนโลยีราชมงคลรัตนโกสินทร์ วิทยาเขตวังไกลกังวล, โรงเรียนหัวหิน และชุมชนต่างๆ ในเขตเทศบาลเมืองหัวหิน โดยเริ่มขบวนจากหน้าสำนักงานอุตุนิยมวิทยา เคลื่อนไปตามถนนเพชรเกษม แล้วไปสิ้นสุด ณ บริเวณหน้าวัดหัวหิน
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, you were right hhinner. My granddaughter informed us of the change at 16:30hrs. Of course, we'd already gone to the wrong place first. :oops:

Traffic was a mess as predicted, but that seems to be the norm here there days - anything to disrupt the flow.

Points 51; Position 21