Theater Audition in Hua Hin

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
gandalfinthai

Theater Audition in Hua Hin

Post by gandalfinthai »

audition-notice.jpg
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Theater Audition in Hua Hin

Post by dtaai-maai »

Interesting! Can you tell us something about the Wandering Theater Company? Where and when are you planning to perform this? How often and over what period will rehearsals be held?
This is the way
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

dtaai-maai wrote:Interesting! Can you tell us something about the Wandering Theater Company? Where and when are you planning to perform this? How often and over what period will rehearsals be held?
In order to be an actor or stage manager in this show you must be able to attend 2-3 daytime rehearsals each week during February and March as well 6 (day and evening) rehearsals the final week of March. You must also be able to commit to the 5 performances (April 3, 4, 5, 10 and 11.) The performances will be in the evenings on the two Fridays and Saturdays and in the afternoon on the Sunday.
The show (and most rehearsals) will be held at Wan’s restaurant which is located in North Hua Hin, just off the canal road near Tippawan Village.

This show will be the first project of Wandering Theater Company and if it goes well, is fun to do and there is continuing interest, further projects can be planned.
The director, Ted Guhl, has over 40 years of experience in theater. He is a member of Actor’s Equity Association (retired,) graduate of the American Academy of Dramatic Arts and Wesleyan University. He was the founder and Artistic Director of Hole In The Wall (http://www.hitw.org) and Phoenix Theaters (http://www.phoenixtheater.us) in the USA. He has directed shows in Syria, Hong Kong, Japan and Portugal as well as the USA. He is retired and lives in Hua Hin permanently.

There is no pay for anyone involved in this project. Donations will be asked of the audience to help cover the cost of the production.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

gandalfinthai wrote:In order to be an actor or stage manager in this show you must be able to attend 2-3 daytime rehearsals each week during February and March as well 6 (day and evening) rehearsals the final week of March.
That's a pity as it rules out virtually anyone who's still working for a living. I wish you well and will certainly come along and see the performance. Hope you're still going when I eventually get to retire!
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Presumably, participating in this type of production won't raise any eyebrows with Immigration and/or Police?
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

Dannie Boy wrote:Presumably, participating in this type of production won't raise any eyebrows with Immigration and/or Police?
I cannot imagine why it should. No one is getting paid anything. And it is free to the public. Just a gift to the neighborhood and a chance to play for the fun of it - no different than the Hash House or any other club in Thailand.
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

A few folks have called to ask for more specifics. The show is a one-act play and runs for about 1/2 hour. It will start at 8:30 on Fri and Sat and 2 pm on Sunday. Auditions consist of reading from the script. I expect that very few will be familiar with it, so it is a "cold" reading. Anyone is welcome but a ability to read and speak English is essential. One does not need to have experience. It is a comedy.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

For those interested, copies of the script are available on line http://englishbusselman.weebly.com/uplo ... hekhov.pdf, as are Youtube videos of some amateur productions. They're crap, but they'll give you a rough idea of the content.
This is the way
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

dtaai-maai wrote:For those interested, copies of the script are available on line http://englishbusselman.weebly.com/uplo ... hekhov.pdf, as are Youtube videos of some amateur productions. They're crap, but they'll give you a rough idea of the content.

Thank you, Addict.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Technically, you need a work permit for work whether paid or not. The Act even mentions, theatre, music, entertainment etc.
gandalfinthai

Post by gandalfinthai »

HHTel wrote:Technically, you need a work permit for work whether paid or not. The Act even mentions, theatre, music, entertainment etc.

Why? We are not charging anything and no money is involved. It is more like a club. Just a bunch of Folks getting together and having fun. If a group of folks get together and go to Karoke do they need a work permit?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

gandalfinthai wrote:
HHTel wrote:Technically, you need a work permit for work whether paid or not. The Act even mentions, theatre, music, entertainment etc.

Why? We are not charging anything and no money is involved. It is more like a club. Just a bunch of Folks getting together and having fun. If a group of folks get together and go to Karoke do they need a work permit?
Technically, YES
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

gandalfinthai wrote:

Don't take my word for it. Even charity workers need a work permit. Check it out!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

^^I think the clue is in the word 'workers'. What Gandalfinthai proposes isn't work of any description, it's play. No different from a bunch of expats playing football and paying a contribution to the expenses, or a chess or backgammon club.

To be honest, I don't really understand why people who have expressed absolutely no interest in the project seem determined to pour cold water on it.
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

DM

Who said I wasn't interested in the project ? I'm in my element on the stage :)

A point worth noting is that the Fat Cat place next to Buffalo Tavern had to cease people joining in their jazz sessions after warnings by the police
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.