Fishing pranburi river?

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
Moorebomb
Rookie
Rookie

Fishing pranburi river?

Post by Moorebomb »

Anyone fished the mouth of the pranburi river there in pak nam pran, or fished the banks further upstream on the river? If so can someone point me in the right direction of what kind of gear I would use, I'm at a bit of a loss of where to start for buying all new fishing gear being I've had no experience with any of the fish species here in thailand. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alan
crispernator
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Fishing pranburi river?

Post by crispernator »

I will watch this thread closely so i can get all the tips as i am a fishernut too
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

there is a small fishing tackle store across the street from Joy market in Khao Takiap. They have photos of Farangs holding big fish on the wall. Not sure about their English. Maybe worth a try to look around. They had a lot of gear for sale. Maybe they can help.
I really like this forum because there are no personal attacks. All the members contribute in a positive way to my posts.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Over the years, (15 or so) I have tried fishing the Pranburi River.

At one time I had a boat and would go all the way up stream past the railway bridge searching for decent locations and fish.

Sad to say, that like most rivers and dams here in Thailand, the Pranburi River is substantially fished out. You only have to see the number of illegally strewn nets across it it to understand why. The Dams are the same as such.

You might be 'lucky' and get some Pla Nin (Tilapia) or Pla Duk (A type of small catfish) with some perseverance.

There IS a spot where you can see some very large Sorro Brook Carp and Pacu. In the Google Earth image below, you can see a road running along the Northern Bank of the river - off the 1020, before it crosses the river itself. Towards the end of this road you will find an enterprising old Thai guy who rents out pleasure boats and pellet feeds the fish from his Jetty. Don't try fishing there though - he'll probably shoot you...................The guy deserves respect for protecting his stretch of river from mindless netting.
Pranburi River.jpg
Of course I might be viewed as being a bit biased - running a fishing lodge - but I can assure you, 'natural' fishing here is quite rare.

Most bait fishing is done using method feeders, or deadbait as we do at the lodge
On the Dams you can try lures and if you are VERY lucky you get a snakehead.

You can go to the head of the Kaeng Kra Chaeng Dam and hire a guy to take you on a bit of boat fishing, but it is a cartel operation and very biased towards the Bangkok weekend hisos...................

Good luck
ste860
Deceased
Deceased

Post by ste860 »

I clan say terry is spot on .fishing anywhere that's free like river and lakes is free is fished out .the thais will take home a baby fish so it never get chance to replenish the dwindling fish population
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

I have been to the Marina ( such a waste, why isn't this developed?) and seen lots of small garfish like things chasing fry. I guess they could even be baby barracuda? They might be fun on light spinning tackle or fly.
Or perhaps their mums and dads are lurking under the jettys?
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I've been there, out host was throwing bits of banana into the river. It took a couple of minutes, but there were truly some monsters in there. Take a couple of bananas next time, and be very impressed.

[Edit] Nokyai, which marina are you talking about? I'm referring to the one that Terry mentions, where the guy will shoot you. :shock:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

No sure why anyone would be interested in fishing anywhere here in Thailand (unless deep sea fishing 20 clicks off the coast) due to the poor quality of water and the fact that there are few (if any) laws enforced to regulate what goes into the water close to the beach or in the rivers generally.

If you want to eat fish (which some Thais do) that have been growing up in chemically & sewage tainted water then fine....d'fuk.

I laugh when I see the local somchai guy fishing in a river and think ..........hhhhmmmmmm, tasty....NOT.

Go swimming off the coast of HH with floating turds.......lol.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Moorebomb
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Moorebomb »

Ya I'm just talking about fishing for sport, something to help pass the days.I don't eat any fish in thailand anyway,I grew up in Alaska so ive been spoiled my entire life. Terry thanks for the info, and I was up at your lodge last month wanted to put in a good word for one of your workers (forgot his name though) I landed 5 fish in about an hour and half before getting rained out, he was very attentaive to make sure I got some fish. plan on coming up there more often. Thanks everyone for the info.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

[quote="Big Boy"]When I've been there, out host was throwing bits of banana into the river. It took a couple of minutes, but there were truly some monsters in there. Take a couple of bananas next time, and be very impressed.

[Edit] Nokyai, which marina are you talking about? I'm referring to the one that Terry mentions, where the guy will shoot you. :shock:[/quote

The old Marina in Pranbury, where there used to be a yacht club and some nice boats. I'm afraid I don't know it's name. It has a big launching rig ,undercover storage and a 3 story building that had a club house. Now it has a fisheries boat and just a scattering of boats on he pontoons.
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Right, thanks for the clarification - we're talking different marinas then.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20