Bike for Dad - Dec 11, 2015

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
buksida

Bike for Dad - Dec 11, 2015

Post by buksida »

bfd.jpg
Bangkok and provincial bicycle rides organised on December 11th in honour of HRH's 88th birthday.
http://www.bikefordad2015.com/

There is a 30km ride in Prachuap - not sure what has been organised for Hua Hin.

Registration is required to participate (as with most Thai websites it only works in IE)
http://dadregister.moi.go.th/dadregiste ... mation.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Bike for Dad - Dec 11, 2015

Post by buksida »

Anyone take part yesterday?

Went to Prachuap where the ride for this area was taking place. The turnout was huge, well over 4,000 cyclists so as expected the logistics of managing such an event turned into a bit of a circus.

The start was supposed to be 3pm but we were still waiting in the heat of the afternoon as 4pm approached and groups were gradually released. When we finally got underway, riding along the Prachuap promenade and through Ao Manao was challenging to say the least - the sheer number of bikes crammed into such a small area made for some hairy encounters.

4 year old kids wobbling down the road were mixing it up with spandex clad road racers, needless to say there were a few spills and encounters with the tarmac. Returning to the town center as rush hour approached added to the pandemonium as idiots on motorbikes and in pickups tried to carve their way past the throng of bikes. No road closures and very few police directing things back in the town so we decided to call it a day after about 20km as the light faded and the danger level escalated.
12347777_760011754132105_41640229943731187_n.jpg
12346486_760011924132088_7527559928874790542_n.jpg
12376822_760011967465417_6967995055558853791_n.jpg
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Didn't take part as I could imagine the pandemonium. Mrs BB had it on TV for 6 hours though :banghead:

What did surprise me with both TV and your photos was the excellent turnout of cycling helmets - were they a prerequisite of taking part?

Strange to hear you talk about that route being busy - on a normal day it's rare to encounter another vehicle there. Of course, all the participants and onlookers would have made it manic.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Big Boy wrote: What did surprise me with both TV and your photos was the excellent turnout of cycling helmets - were they a prerequisite of taking part?
I can't answer your question, but have noticed here in Bang Saphan any biker that is riding a racer, wearing spandex, etc, seems to be wearing a helmet.

A couple weeks ago we were on the road before light to Chumphon and encountered maybe 20 bikers along the road at various times. Everyone had a proper helmet on
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ironic isn't it to think that perhaps more bicyclers than motorbikers wear protective head gear. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I only ride my bike for leisure, but whenever I encounter Thai cyclists, I would say that the wearing of a helmet is more than 90% - I have to admit that on my leisurely journeys, largely on minor back roads, I don't wear a helmet :oops:
buksida

Post by buksida »

Wearing a lid was a prerequisite.

Yes, I also saw the irony of more cyclists with helmets on that motorcyclists. I guess the concrete is softer when you're travelling faster :shock:
V4281051
Amateur
Amateur

Post by V4281051 »

A shame you stopped after 20km because once through the town and out to Ao Noi the route was good and quite well policed..an excellent refreshment stop at Ao Noi ..Lots of cyclists had lights from 6pm onwards..and return from Ao Noi was largely on a bike track..
For what was a free event with over 4000 cyclists I thought it was excellent...and well organised apart from the route after Ao Manao and back to town..
Hope to see you perhaps on Ride across Thailand next week ?