Songkran in Hua Hin 2016

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran in Hua Hin 2016

Post by caller »

I think Korat has saved everything for the last night - pretty busy out there now around town, trucks queuing to get into the centre from a long way away! LaSt year I was out in a truck, but not this year.
Talk is cheap
kev78

Post by kev78 »

So today and tomorrow (Saturday) it will still be full on soaking? Does this carry on after 10pm?

Went out on the Wednesday and it was mental had great fun around Binta!! :cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you're in Hua Hin Kev, it was Tuesday evening and Wednesday. Game over.

However, I've have seen some Songkran parties advertised for a couple of days, so maybe still the odd pocket of madness :D
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
kev78

Post by kev78 »

Ahh ok, good job I got wet on Wednesday then haha ;)
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

SONGKRAN 2016 - Part 9

We continued our journey around Binthablock. Resistance was getting heavier by minute, and the tide was rising fast. We were often wading, rather than walking.

Eventually we made it back to base, battle weary.

The plan now was to continue to repel borders until the Songkran Parade started.

Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

SONGKRAN 2016 - Part 10

The parade is usually the highlight of Hua Hin's Songkran celebration. It usually rolls past the Hilton at about 4pm. It is at this point that normality usually starts to return to the city for another year,

Well, we'd just settled down to the defence of Fortress U Turn when we heard the parade was coming.

It was a mad dash to the Hilton to watch the spectacle - what a let down. Usually over 20 trucks carrying beautiful women. This year there were just 2, and one of those was carrying a couple of monks making us all even wetter.

As it turned out, only 2 trucks were in the parade, which was just as well because I'd forgotten the camera's memory card. Such a let down.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

SONGKRAN 2016 - Part 11

With the very poor parade complete, it was time to make our way home.

I kept the camera running. It was particularly noticeable the amount of water lying on the road, forming mini-lakes. However, although resistance was stronger than when we arrived, it was starting to diminish.

Points 48; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

SONGKRAN 2016 - Part 12 & Final

As we walked up the hill towards the railway station, we were wading against the flow of a fast flowing stream. It was up here that we had ventured into the water wonderland earlier in the day.

I had mentioned the volume of water being poured down the drain, well it was quite deep now. Kiddies were not collecting water, they were filling their buckets by scooping water straight from the ground - it was a few inches deep.

The flow of water was complimented by waste water being drawn straight from the reservoir behind to fill the barrels on the back of trucks, As trucks moved on, the water from the 3" hoses was also going straight down the drain.

You can also see the array of Thai Street Food on sale.

After this point, my second battery died. There was little point in fitting a 3rd under controlled dried conditions, which would be virtually impossible to find.

So,its back to normality for 12 months.

Points 48; Position 18
kev78

Post by kev78 »

haha! Good stuff! Filmed some myself, will try an edit it later
:cheers:
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Kev up north in Issan they do string the Songkran festivities out for 5 or 6 days.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

They did here as well this year e.g. I think Pranburi was yesterday. See also the 6th post on this thread - Nong Plub doing from 10th to 16th.

I enjoy Songkran, but 1 day a year is good enough for me.

Points 48; Position 18
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Big Boy wrote:I enjoy Songkran, but 1 day a year is good enough for me.
I have the normal one day where my local Thai friends visit and I get multiple small drenchings. The youngsters of course have their fun with the biggest soakers we can get for them.

One day is tolleable but I'm very pleased when it's over. :D

Post Songkran I only need to worry about the normal mix of idiots on the road and not the additional, smashed out of their brains, idiots and those that only drive once every year, only to annoy me!!!
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain