Hua Hin Jazz Festival 2008

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

true mate...

maybe if we agreed to smoke loads of fags and watch TV all the time? :idea:

y can always live in hope :wink:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

sandman67 wrote:
how strange....in both the last two photos its the lass on the left that gets my vote..... :cheers:
In the first photo, do you mean the lady standing, or sitting? (sorry, :D )
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ok - heres another one for you guys:

Did anyone stay until the end yesterday? We went early and sat at Paleo bar for the afternoon, kids got tired and it started raining so we left at about 7pm and missed the later acts. How was Mike Stern & Dave Weckl? UBC had karaoke on channel 27 so couldn't even watch it on TV.

The music early on was very bland and almost sent me to sleep! The occasional guitar riff was about the highlight of most acts - it seems they are really pushing the jazz and less of the more upbeat, rocky tunes we enjoyed at previous fests.

Last edited by buksida on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

My god the girl on the right is so thin she is having to steady herself against the counter. For god's sake someone give her a hot dog... :wink:
Buksida, you could have photoshopped out the leary guy behind... :mrgreen:
www.35mmview.com
dekestone
Novice
Novice

Post by dekestone »

buksida wrote: How was Mike Stern & Dave Weckl?
The music early on was very bland and almost sent me to sleep! The occasional guitar riff was about the highlight of most acts - it seems they are really pushing the jazz and less of the more upbeat, rocky tunes we enjoyed at previous fests.
Stern and band were great. Besides Weckl there was Chris Minh Doky (bass) and Bob Franseschini (sp?) on sax. I love Stern cuz he can be playing more or less standard bebop lines and then suddenly veer off into Hendrixville. The highlight for me was when I wandered down to the beach on saturday afternoon and purely by luck caught them doing their rehersal/sound check. There were about five of us in the "audience" (we were outnumbered by the roadies and sound crew). They ran through most of the numbers they played at night, (except the lullaby by HRM, which they must have decided on at the last minute, judging by the fact that Stern and Fransechini were playing from sheet music.) The guys were pretty loose, laughing and joking around the whole time. After the set at night Stern came down to the front of the stage and signed cds and chatted with people.

This was my first Hua Hin fest (been to five in Bangkok) so I can't compare. But you're right about some of the earlier bands. Some of them, especially some of the singers, were just plain bad. But, I guess it's cool that Thai musicians are given a chance to play at such a venue.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sounds like I missed one of the best acts of the festival then :(
But you're right about some of the earlier bands. Some of them, especially some of the singers, were just plain bad. But, I guess it's cool that Thai musicians are given a chance to play at such a venue.
I think the problem is that they are forcing a genre of music on the whole thing and not letting the musicians do their thing. It should be a music festival and not limited to 'elevator jazz' IMO. Some of the Thai musicians are just as good as the international ones, they just seem to have picked the bland ones this year. Previous years we had Prode Thanapat and band who simply rocked and Mr Koh Saxman. T-Bone were about the best act I saw.

They are setting up more stages in town so expect more music throughout the week and next weekend.

Randy, heres another one just for you:

Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hi there Buksida

Very very very Nice Promo Girl that you had mugged on Digital Camera.
I wish I could meet such an Angel like the above!!!

(just look @ my tagline below!!!)
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Buksi

Heineken t-shirt?

Thought they were out of it this year?
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Heineken were still sponsoring it though True were the main sponsors, stupid as it may seem they still had this "no beer before 5pm" bullshit but you could sit at a restaurant and order one.

More photos from Friday have been uploaded on www.jazzfestivalhuahin.com
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just come through town and see that a large Heineken bar has appeared near the bus office along with a load of food stalls.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Steve G

All the way to the tessaban
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
buksida

Post by buksida »

A few more pics can be found here: www.huahin4u.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=121

Will get to Saturday shortly ...
buksida

Post by buksida »

Final batch of Saturday's photos are online at www.jazzfestivalhuahin.com - thanks to Noom and buddies who took the later ones of Stern and band for me!
dekestone
Novice
Novice

Post by dekestone »

Great pics!

My two baht's worth about the festival: Free is good! Free gives lots of Thais an opportunity to hear quality music they would otherwise have no chance of hearing. And who knows? ... Maybe some kid will pick up the sax or bass because of what he saw over the weekend.

But, if it's free you have to expect big crowds and you need to put some thought into crowd flow and crowd control, which seems to have been totally ignored by the organizers. (Not to mention toilet facilities.) As someone said, the idea of music on the beach is great, but it may not be practical. Move it to a football stadium or larger area. (Is there any other beach in Thailand where public access is so limited?)

For me, it was definitely worth it to come down from Bangkok to see Stern, and I will surely do so again in future if the international acts are of that quality. (One great thing about living in Bangkok, you can see T-Bone and a lot of other good Thai bands almost every weekend.)