New International Schools

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

New International Schools

Post by PeteC »

The below is a new government idea as you'll read. Hua Hin is missing from the list which kind of astonishes me. It goes back to an earlier opinion I had/have that they do not want to encourage more settlement there, foreign or Thai. Pete :cheers:

Published: 25/08/2009 at 12:00 AM
Newspaper section: News - Bangkok Post

The Education Ministry plans to upgrade 14 secondary schools, 10 in border provinces, into international schools next year as part of the policy to promote Thailand as a regional education hub.

The Basic Education Commission would spend 500 million baht allocated from the government's Thai Strength Scheme to turn the schools into international institutes with all subjects taught in English.

Tuition fees would be no more than 35,000 baht a head each semester, commission secretary-general Khunying Kasama Varavarn na Ayudhya said.

The 10 schools in border provinces are little-known and have no experience with English programmes.

But the schools passed the education standard assessment conducted by the Office for National Education Standards and Quality Assessment, Khunying Kasama said.

The schools are: Pathumthep Pitthayakhan in Nong Khai, Chulabhorn Rajawittayalai in Mukdahan, Chulabhorn Rajawittayalai in Satun, Pichai Rattanakhan in Ranong, Mae Sai Prasitsart in Chiang Rai, Prasart Witthayakhan in Surin, Kantharalak Witthaya in Si Sa Ket, Naree Nukul in Ubon Ratchathani, Hat Yai Rathprachasan in Songkhla and Sappa Witthaya in Tak.

The schools in the border provinces were chosen as the ministry wanted to target students from neighbouring countries such as Burma, Cambodia, China, Vietnam and Malaysia. The commission did not choose schools in big cities as there were already many private international schools there.

"We decided to penetrate the market in border provinces. For example, Chulabhorn Rajawittayalai in Mukdahan province has attracted wealthy families who have sent their children to study there," she said.

The four other schools not in border provinces are: Yupparat Witthayalai in Chiang Mai, Yothinburana in Bangkok, Porthisamphan Pitthayakhan in Chon Buri and Satri in Phuket. All are well known and some already provide English programmes.

Khunying Kasama said the four schools had been chosen for their location in tourist provinces where there is a large number of foreigners.

The plan calls for 2,800 school executives and teachers to be trained to conduct courses at the schools in line with international standards.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Re: New International Schools

Post by stgrhe »

prcscct wrote:The below is a new government idea as you'll read. Hua Hin is missing from the list which kind of astonishes me. It goes back to an earlier opinion I had/have that they do not want to encourage more settlement there, foreign or Thai. Pete
Isn't that to draw a hasty conclusion? If you read the quote below the chosen locations serve a well understood purpose, isn't it?
prcscct wrote:The schools in the border provinces were chosen as the ministry wanted to target students from neighbouring countries such as Burma, Cambodia, China, Vietnam and Malaysia. The commission did not choose schools in big cities as there were already many private international schools there.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I think, although I could of course be wrong, that the Thai government don't really consider kids with one farang parent to be farang, but rather that the kids are Thai and as such, there's no need for them to attend an international school. Think about it.......there are not that many farang couples living in HH with their farang kids, and I think the government interpret this as I've mentioned above.

Also, if a state sponsored international school did open here, it would be near impossible to get our kids (half Thai/half farang) booked in unless you have contacts in high up places. Even Thai's battle to get their kids into certain schools. For example, there's a school down the road alongside the palace grounds which is just such an institution. Apparently it is considered to be one of the top schools where all lessons, etc. are conducted via computers, in that each class doesn't have a teacher present ( not sure if I think that's a good idea). However, I was also told that unless you have plenty of money to smooth things over, or you have some very influential contacts, you're better off forgetting about it altogether.

Interestingly enough, I have been told on many occasions that the teaching standards at Satukarn school are as high, if not better than that of Somtawin, apart from the obvious, which is English. Anyway, we took our little one out of the school she was in here in Bofai, down on Petkasem, and moved her to Satukarn. In my honest opinion, the difference has been remarkable in terms of progress. As far as English is concerned, she'll have to learn that seperately as she goes along. It's quite amazing really because she only speaks English to me, while she's happy to speak English or Thai to Mom, and of course only Thai to her teacher and friends. Having said that, all movies, cartoons, etc, etc, etc here at home are in English.

Anyway....... :offtopic:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Re: New International Schools

Post by PeteC »

stgrhe wrote:
prcscct wrote:The below is a new government idea as you'll read. Hua Hin is missing from the list which kind of astonishes me. It goes back to an earlier opinion I had/have that they do not want to encourage more settlement there, foreign or Thai. Pete
Isn't that to draw a hasty conclusion? If you read the quote below the chosen locations serve a well understood purpose, isn't it?
prcscct wrote:The schools in the border provinces were chosen as the ministry wanted to target students from neighbouring countries such as Burma, Cambodia, China, Vietnam and Malaysia. The commission did not choose schools in big cities as there were already many private international schools there.
You forgot the part about the 4 that are not in border areas are to be in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket and Chonburi. I know that Chonburi and Bangkok have more than enough, and I assume the same is true for Chiang Mai and Phuket, HH has none.

My opinion/theory about not encouraging settlement in HH because it is a Royal city was raised in a thread a few weeks ago, no one had any comment.

I don't live there so it is indeed opinion/theory but I know a few who do live there who scratch their heads thinking there may be some truth in it. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

It certainly is an enigma Pete regarding the reason why there is no real international school in Hua Hin.

We can only speculate on the royal theory but if so then it must come from very high up but perhaps not the top, if you know what I mean. Maybe the MoE doesn't want it for some reason, again we can only speculate. Also, the large nearby military presence may also not like it for some "Thai" reason, who knows what your average Thai generals talk about at the club house with purple crushed velvet furniture whilst smoking havanas and downing imported Oban on the rocks along with semi-clad 18 year old girls servicing the club in every way. :roll:

On the financial/logistical side of it......well....where would it be and how much would it cost? Don't know where they could put it and have an acceptable location which has relevent infrastructure/amenities etc and not cost 100s of millions. The catholic church has enough money as you st the like of St. Peters/St. John Marie schools etc but they have that catholic church school, where is it now, opposite the Marriot Resort? Maybe that's all they want there. That school could be turned into one but would require lots of money and change, which the catholic church isn't that good at but if there was the will then that would be a possible place.

To set an international school up from scratch someplace in HH would be a herculean task and I can't see where the desire for that will come from, even though there is much money to be made from doing it.

As said earlier the best word that fits this one is "enigma". Sure the speculation will continue.

:cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol