Thai National Educational test stuck in 20th century

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Thai National Educational test stuck in 20th century

Post by buksida »

Apparent flaws in the Ordinary National Educational Test (O-Net) have provided another strong reminder that Thailand's education system badly needs improvement.

For years, agencies have lamented the falling average of O-Net scores among students in all subjects. But if O-Net exam papers are not really well designed and mired with mistakes, how can we expect the students to do well?

Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI) academic Dr Dilaka Lathapipat pointed out that while the ISA test reflected the vision of the 21st century, Thailand's O-Net was stuck to the 20th century.

"The test-design standards for these two tests are much different," Dilaka said.

If the test designers cannot provide reliable and efficient tests, teachers and students will lack trusted indicators of their performance. Relevant agencies, in that case, will also find it hard to check which areas they should concentrate on to improve for the country's educational system.
Feb-27-Sample-question640.jpg
Full Story: The Nation
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Thai National Educational test stuck in 20th century

Post by margaretcarnes »

Amazing. The labour force 'graph' isn't even a graph. God help them if faced with a pie chart. And it's a test for literacy? OK maybe a point could be stretched in that the questions have to be read and understood, but no worthwhile assessment of learning can be made using mulitple choice answers IMO. And presumably that PISA example is the vision for the future?
For starters the system shouldn't begin with 'test' design. It should begin with set criteria for the desired level of ultimate achievement. Then performance indicators can be established against levels of progress towards that outcome. THEN the tests should aim to evaluate progress at each stage.
So for a literacy test in particular they should only need to ask for a written response to one question - say for example 'what is your understanding of transvestite behaviour'.
The PISA test shown seems to be more a maths test than a literacy test. It isn't much of an improvement at all on the O-net example. Both are multiple choice. Neither ask for written replies which would even begin to show any level of true understanding, or any ability to respond using the written word. The only difference IMO is a more fancy format aimed at making it look as if those responsible for it know what they are doing.
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Mags, the method/approach you're suggesting would inevitably provide/produce more accurate results, and to be honest, I'm not sure I believe they want that. It's far easier just to pretend everything is perfect.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Should Thailand be worried by this? Mayathom 6 is A-Level for the UK (16-18 year olds). If they are giving Thai students these tests in English then from this 2009 report it looks like it should be the UK who ought to be worried. http://www.pisa.oecd.org/dataoecd/54/12/46643496.pdf

I love the 'Sexual Urge' + Football = Abstinence
Try telling that to Giggs, Rooney & Terry! Golf obviously doesn't work either as Tiger Woods will attest to.
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

Takiap wrote:Mags, the method/approach you're suggesting would inevitably provide/produce more accurate results, and to be honest, I'm not sure I believe they want that. It's far easier just to pretend everything is perfect.

:cheers:
Yes and to assess progress more effectively would also involve more input from teachers. How would they cope with students who might be better than they are? :cheers:
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

@Frank:
Should Thailand be worried by this? Mayathom 6 is A-Level for the UK (16-18 year olds). If they are giving Thai students these tests in English then from this 2009 report it looks like it should be the UK who ought to be worried.
IMHO, in many emerging economies most people see education as a way to get ahead. In the west (largely, and particularly the UK and US) where the educationally driven move to meritocracy has already taken place, it is largely seen as a drain on the public purse. The consequence of that philosophical shift to me, is clear - the UK is toast.

Sorry, and all that!
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....