Schools get foreigner subsidy

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No guys and gals, I don't think this will reflect in your pay packet, but it may result in more teachers being hired. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2 ... er-subsidy

Published: 14/03/2012 at 01:56 AM
Newspaper section: News

Schools hiring foreign teachers will receive a subsidy from the Education Ministry as part of efforts to boost students' foreign language proficiency.

Initially, schools which employ native English-speaking teachers will get a subsidy of 10,000 baht per head per month, and 5,000 baht per head per month for teachers of other languages, Chinnapat Bhumirat, secretary-general to Office of Basic Education Commission, said.

Those with native English-speaking teachers would receive higher subsidies and the amount would vary depending on the cost of living and distance from Thailand of their home countries.

"The amount is not much but it will help ease the schools' financial burden as

[foreign language teachers'] salaries are several times higher than those of Thai teachers," Mr Chinnapat said.

"Teaching of English and Chinese by native speakers is a priority, but other languages such as Japanese and Korean are also needed," he said.

The subsidy programme, with an initial budget of 500 million baht, is also aimed at increasing the number of foreign language teachers in the 2012 academic year, which starts in May.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
zingerhk
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Schools get foreigner subsidy

Post by zingerhk »

Pushing a proper English Language program would help Thailand so much in terms of competitive skills for the young. This is good news!!!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Rather than clutter up the forum with a new thread, I will post this here.

Not in Hua Hin, but may still be relevant. Do any of the teachers that post on here know anything about a company called: "Ideal English Academy"? They are claiming "native English speaking teachers", amongst other suspect claims. I have found one "native English teacher" with a Chinese name! Please PM me if you would rather not post on the open forum. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

The story doesn't give too many details. I'm very doubtful of this being a good thing. Employ a native English speaker and you get 10.000 Baht. No mention that the person should be a qualified teacher. This way it will be easy to have any native speaker on your payroll and give him some extra salary and the school will make more but the students may not gain anything. Being a native and being able to teach are not the same thing.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

I have found one "native English teacher" with a Chinese name!
Maybe he/she was born in England or any other country that speaks English. Just a thought. Simply because he/she has a Chinese name doesn't mean that he/she hasn't spent his/her entire life in another country.

Maybe the person in question can't even speak Chinese... :cheers:

My good friend Baanke Bihaari Sharma is a Native speaker of English.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Bamboo Grove wrote:The story doesn't give too many details. I'm very doubtful of this being a good thing. Employ a native English speaker and you get 10.000 Baht. No mention that the person should be a qualified teacher. This way it will be easy to have any native speaker on your payroll and give him some extra salary and the school will make more but the students may not gain anything. Being a native and being able to teach are not the same thing.
Yes, that is exactly right, Bamboo Grove. It will just become another racket that increases the profits of the school owners. This has come up before: there are many Filipino "teachers" working in Thailand that speak English, but they are neither "native" speakers, or qualified teachers.

GLCQuantum: Yes, they may very well have been born in an English speaking country, and the FIRST thing any Asian will do in that situation is take an English name. It is also very likely with the name that I have been given, he has as a FIRST language, that of his parents.

Anyway, my question was not about who is qualified to be a teacher of English; it was specifically concerned with and individual "Academy", and if anybody has any knowledge of them. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

Anyway, my question was not about who is qualified to be a teacher of English; it was specifically concerned with and individual "Academy", and if anybody has any knowledge of them
Sorry can't help you there. Not familiar with the place myself.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Nereus wrote:Rather than clutter up the forum with a new thread, I will post this here.

Not in Hua Hin, but may still be relevant. Do any of the teachers that post on here know anything about a company called: "Ideal English Academy"? They are claiming "native English speaking teachers", amongst other suspect claims. I have found one "native English teacher" with a Chinese name! Please PM me if you would rather not post on the open forum. :cheers:
http://www.engideal.com/ideal.php It is interesting that the name includes "Academy". Several years ago an inquiry was made at the Ministry of Education about using Academy in a school and the respons was that it is prohibited. Perhaps policy has changed.
rempejek
Novice
Novice

Post by rempejek »

Many businesses have the name academy or school or centre or center in it...often they're not even registered!

Some persons keep on registering different names and change it so now and often. Especially when it's becoming a well known scam.