The resilient student mediocrity matrix

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

The resilient student mediocrity matrix

Post by Spitfire »

I would like to comment on this subject due to many observations over time I have noticed and it's not simply limited to students and their educational environment and experience.......but it's an easily noticed one and a good example.

We often hear about this ASEAN 2015 change now and all these initiatives being hastily conceived in a belated attempt to do too little too late. One of the things I notice is the ready acceptance of the student group to be happy in mediocrity or blandly average and unremarkable regarding results/achievement with everyone else in the same section. Perhaps 10% of a class of 80 have genuine aspirations that motivate them enough in the intrinsic way to seriously undertake proactive learning. A course is something to just simple come out the end of with a bit of paper even you learn sweet FA along the way.

Then we have rampant plagiarism (there's almost no point giving out homework) and unwillingness to even try, with their personal appearance or Facebook account status taking priority over all else. There seems to be little genuine thirst for knowledge and an over-aching desire to remain in obscurity of a medium nature and fearing the risk of making a mistake but learning from it.

I don't claim to be working anywhere special, just an average university in an average Thai city. I'm sure this doesn't apply to all as generalisations are not often a good idea (and I'm not really making one) but there is often some truth to be found somewhere in them, rather like cliches.

Reminds my of the safety in numbers survival ploy. I guess this whole thing is how incompetence is perpetuated into the system again and again. I often wonder what they will do when mum and dad are gone and they actually have to sort-it-out as many of them seem hopelessly prepared.

Oh well, just some thoughts. :cheers:
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
blue05
Guru
Guru

Re: The resilient student mediocrity matrix

Post by blue05 »

Hasn't it always been like that?
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I know someone who went through the full English program (100%, including foreign teachers; not the half and half one); he found it difficult to get into a local uni and ended up in their International faculty... Go figure.
วินเชนท์
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Spitfire wrote:I often wonder what they will do when mum and dad are gone and they actually have to sort-it-out as many of them seem hopelessly prepared.

Oh well, just some thoughts. :cheers:

I think a lot begins in the home. For example, my wife and her brother both grew up with their grandparents in Isaan. My wife was with her Dad's parents, while her brother was with his Mom's parents.

I have met both sides of the family and the difference is remarkable. The grandparents on the Mother's side are totally "mai pen rai" about everything, and are in my opinion not able to raise kids. There is absolutely no form of discipline, and during his time with them, my wife's brother was never required to do chores and etc. Now, he is certainly a very well mannered and very polite kid, but really just a human vessel capable of breathing and eating. In fact, I'm impressed that he can actually eat by himself. If there is no food prepared, he goes hungry because he cannot even cook himself an omelette.

My wife on the other hand grew up with grandparents from her Father's side, and the difference between her and her brother is almost unbelievable. the grandparents she grew up with don't tolerate any nonsense, and everyone living in the home has to do their share.

Put it this way, if they were each left to fend for themselves right now, her brother would be in serious trouble. His life really only consists of eating, sleep, facebook, and school, and that only because he doesn't have an option.

Personally, if one of my kids grew up to be so incapable, I would feel as though I failed them completely.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Side note: Story yesterday about two primary kids in Udorn who were punished by their teacher for climbing a tree at recess. Later that day they set fire to the school. :shock: I wonder where they got that idea. :roll:

The last sentence of SF's post is the key. Their parents have corrupted them, society corrupts them and they assume they'll get through life by being continuously corrupted and corrupting others. The last poll showed something like 65% didn't mind corruption if it was a benefit to people and society to help improve their lives?! :shock: By improvement read MONEY.

I would like to think we're still talking about a small minority of kids/parents here, but as time goes by I'm not sure. Pete :cheers:

Edit: Takiap, I've seen and known many boys like that here who were raised by a doting grandmother, even with the spoon feeding to the age of 10+ as you mention. If it's a Chinese family it's even worse. I don't think those boys know about real life until someone finally busts them up in an alley because of their pomposity.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Although I was never beaten up by my parents, I was smart enough to know that a bloody good hiding was certainly one of the options on the table, had I stepped too far out of line. So, I definitely know what would have happened had I ever tried to burn my school down. :shock:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

You guys are right, it's the home and family environment that they are brought up in that's to blame. No discipline as the little prince can do no wrong plus so many things are just handed over on a plate as there's no 'earning your keep' here for the little scrotes.

What I often see around me these days is a tidal wave of vanity, lawlessness and belligerence.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

You're correct Spitfire. Everywhere I look I see young kids with iPhones, iPads, and brand new Finos and Honda Clicks, and most of them think the sun shines out their ass. They basically get whatever they ask for, and never get disciplined for anything.

:cheers: