Somtawin Pupil Behaviour Standards

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Re: Somtawin Pupil Behaviour Standards

Post by buksida »

Scotian2012 wrote: Any first-hand recommendations?
Read on: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20424

Easier to use that topic to discuss that particular school ...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

Scotian2012 wrote:Regarding this new school Halio, i notice that it is not accredited as an elementary school but rather has language school status.

What is the downside of that in terms of further education in Thailand, is a qualification from the school recognised? I do note that a US diploma is given at graduation.

It is more expensive than Somtawin or Yamsaard at 3 terms of 50K, but the location is very good for me.

Any first-hand recommendations?
You could contact Terry at hua hin fishing lodge (a sponsor here). He moved his 2 lads there from Yamsaard and they seem to be very happy there - I'm sure Terry will give you the lowdown.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Well, if I was a kid again, I would love to be in Somtawin. :laugh:

In my opinion, teachers will never be able to stop young boys and girls from doing what young boys and girls do. They may be able to drive it underground, but they won't stop it. This can only be prevented by means of parenting. The same applies to underage drinking, although I do agree that the school should take a firm stance as far as bringing alcohol onto the premises is concerned.

When I was in school, it would have been six of the best with a bamboo cane for the first offence, and if it happened again, it would have been expulsion. I guess that's why I can't recall any student ever taking alcohol to school. The same rules would have applied if I had ever been caught in the girls toilet. Hell, I got six of the best when got caught smoking behind the changing rooms......lol.

I'm certainly not saying kids should get caned all the time, but let's face, teachers have their hands tied. Saying that, the behavior of the kids in the school our girls go to is nothing like that which is mentioned in this thread. Quite the opposite in fact, and one of the main reasons why we decided not to move them to another school.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Around 13 children can transform (almost overnight) from joy to nightmare. The reasons are complex and if anyone knows, I'm all ears. Children want to belong or they may be rebelling against too strict upbringings. They may be emerging from child to young adult and influenced by trash culture, computer games and appeals to their baser instincts, which drawn them into a change of behaviour. How can a parent compete? Then there are perceived attractions, such as 'glamorous' or more interesting Katoeys. Mustn't forget the usual suspect... problems at home.

On TV they are taught that slapping each other around the head is normal. You see 10 year olds tearing around on motosis, with no helmets. Or absent fathers doing pretty much whatever they want. It's tough being a single mother. They have little authority over young men.

Asking a teacher to compensate for all this doesn't seem realistic. On the other hand if there are some schools which have better behaved pupils, is it because they come from wealthier, more stable families and/or is it because the school enforces discipline?

Does anyone have experience of drawing a child away from the brink? What about some of the teachers who post on here. Do you find yourself acting as surrogate parents?
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

barrys wrote:
Scotian2012 wrote:Regarding this new school Halio, i notice that it is not accredited as an elementary school but rather has language school status.

What is the downside of that in terms of further education in Thailand, is a qualification from the school recognised? I do note that a US diploma is given at graduation.

It is more expensive than Somtawin or Yamsaard at 3 terms of 50K, but the location is very good for me.

Any first-hand recommendations?
You could contact Terry at hua hin fishing lodge (a sponsor here). He moved his 2 lads there from Yamsaard and they seem to be very happy there - I'm sure Terry will give you the lowdown.
As Buksi has said

Read on: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=20424

After the first term it has only got better.

However - I believe the 'spare' places are now filled or about to be - you should contact Padma.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

MrPlum wrote:Around 13 children can transform (almost overnight) from joy to nightmare. The reasons are complex and if anyone knows, I'm all ears. Children want to belong or they may be rebelling against too strict upbringings. They may be emerging from child to young adult and influenced by trash culture, computer games and appeals to their baser instincts, which drawn them into a change of behaviour. How can a parent compete? Then there are perceived attractions, such as 'glamorous' or more interesting Katoeys. Mustn't forget the usual suspect... problems at home.

On TV they are taught that slapping each other around the head is normal. You see 10 year olds tearing around on motosis, with no helmets. Or absent fathers doing pretty much whatever they want. It's tough being a single mother. They have little authority over young men.

Asking a teacher to compensate for all this doesn't seem realistic. On the other hand if there are some schools which have better behaved pupils, is it because they come from wealthier, more stable families and/or is it because the school enforces discipline?

Does anyone have experience of drawing a child away from the brink? What about some of the teachers who post on here. Do you find yourself acting as surrogate parents?

Yes, you're that children change drastically once they reach their teens, and some change even sooner. I myself changed from being a very well behaved into an absolute nightmare when I was 12. I started bunking school regularly, and in SA that was considered to be very a very serious problem. Despite all attempts, I just got worse and worse. By the time I turned 14, drinking with mates on a Friday and Saturday night was the norm, although I never knew of anyone taking alcohol to school.

Anyway, you asked about children getting drawn back from the brink. In my case, my bunking school and my disruptive behavior attracted the attention of the child welfare. This in turn resulted in me having to visit the juvenile court where a court order was issued to have me placed in state custody. By some strange twist of fate I was placed in a boarding school owned by the Catholic Church, and what a damn nice school it was, complete with horse riding and all. Since I was quite happy to be there, my behavior improved, and I was sent back home two years later. By the end of the first year, I was back where I began, and once again placed in state custody. This time however, I was in a very different boarding school, where SERIOUS discipline was the order of the day. I hated every single day of it, but to give credit where it's due, I never again failed my grades, and I completed my schooling. When I returned home, I was a very different person, and now that I'm older, I really believe I wouldn't be here today had I not been placed in that school.

Perhaps I'm lucky, because it was the level of discipline enforced at the school that drew me back from the brink, and in today's world, that sort of discipline would never be allowed.

Lol......I remember the headmaster speaking to me the first day I arrived. He quoted the saying "You can take a horse to the water, but you can't make it drink", and then he informed that you can in fact make that horse drink, simply by force feeding it a huge amount of salt. :shock: Learning how to be a decent person was the "water", I was the "horse" and he apparently had plenty of salt on hand. :laugh: Of course he lied, because by the end of my first day, I had already found out that the salt he referred to was in fact a piece of bamboo. :shock:

I'm not saying hidings are the way to go, but I am saying that in my case, they were probably what saved me. For the record, I never got any hidings from my parents.

On a slightly different note, I also agree with you about "absent" parents. I think far to many parents just let their kids do as they choose, while they're out enjoying themselves. As a parent, I want to know where my children are and what they're getting up to. They will not be racing around on the back of someones motorbike, because I will find out and I will put a stop to it. I think a lot of these issues can be prevented if parents can form a good relationship with their kids. That is, be a friend as well as a parent.

Mine are still young, so time will tell. :thumb: :cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
dom77
Amateur
Amateur

Post by dom77 »

Those who criticise a school for their children going toa disco need to have their parenting skills rethought! A school is not responsible for the actions of students out of school time and in a night club at night. Perhaps those parents should be reminded that were they to be in their own country, social services might be called as they are allowing their kids to break the law!

Problems with children at schools generally come from the home in the first place.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes, I agree. If parents don't want their kids in nightclubs, they should go and drag them out, and try to create an environment at home which their kids would like to be part of.

Also, I think more people should start waking up to the fact that children tend to grow up earlier these days. Thank goodness my family didn't move to Thailand when I was a kid. I certainly wouldn't have spent my Friday and Saturday nights in some cheesy nightclub. :P :twisted: :laugh:

Behavior on the school premises is, I feel, a duty the staff need to deal with.

JamesOB
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JamesOB »

School discipline was raised (in Thai) at the end of the last Somtawin partent/teacher meeting. The school's director responded rather hotly (in Thai) that the school was not run like a strict Thai school.

We and several other parents that we know, will be removing our kids at the earliest opportunity. However, the other English programme schools are likely to be no better given that some of their kids are landing in Somtawin for similar reasons. The two good viable Thai alternatives have already told my wife that Somtawin kids are academically behind and would find it difficult to pass the entrance exams (maybe just sour grapes).

I agree, issues about hangovers and discos etc are really a parenting issue. However, if its affecting the kids ability to perform at school, then the school should also take action - at least for the good of the other kids and the school's reputation.
Scotian2012
Professional
Professional

Post by Scotian2012 »

Nobody on here accused the school of being guilty for kids going to discos, so that is a false claim to throw out straight away.

The issue raised is that the school seems to have a real discipline issue. I think everyone would agree that a school has a duty to install good morals and behaviour amongst their kids, as well as stamping-out any bad behaviour within the school itself.

There are parenting issues for sure. Some parents don't see the problem with their kids drinking alcohol and going to bars. Some cultures are perhaps more accepting of kids maturity at younger years - I am thinking Scandanavian uprbringing versus say UK. It also seems that a lot of parents don't take much interest in what their kids are doing. On the other hand, some parents I have spoken with share my view that Somtawin is providing an environment which will/has negatively influence our own children - and its very difficult to manage a teenager of 13-15 who wants to act in the same way as the examples been shown amongst slightly older kids at the school.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

None of the things you say are happening on the school premises happen on the premises of the school our daughters attend. On the downside, they don't offer an English program.

I understand that you don't have many alternative options as far as schools are concerned, but please think very carefully before you decide to ship your kids of to a boarding school. I personally wouldn't dream of doing with my kids. To be honest, I think when push comes to shove, kids would rather have Mom and Dad than a fancy school certificate.