Beware of Somtawin school. Not paying salary

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
aghora
Rookie
Rookie

Beware of Somtawin school. Not paying salary

Post by aghora »

Hi everybody, just wanted to warn that not even Somtawin is a school that is far from parents expectations, but if you get a teachers job they can cheat you and won't pay salary after you resign.

My husband gave 4 years of his life teaching in Somtawin and he's one of the most respected teachers in the school. Once we've decided to leave Thailand and he resigned (notifying about that 2 months prior - like it said in the contract) - the financial director of the school [Mod Edit - name removed] didn't pay him his last salary. Same happen to few other teachers that resigned at the same time. Instead of that he's leaving the country right now and leaving all of us without payment.

To say we are disappointed is to say nothing. That's ridiculous. We have no rights here even when we sign contracts.

Thank you [Mod Edit - name removed] - I'll mention your name on all farang resources and make your life as miserable as you made my family life.

Mod Edit - please do not name persons in any way, unless you are prepared to defend your accusations. If your grievance is strong, and you wish to discuss further on this open forum, please contact Admin first
zeitgeist
Professional
Professional

Re: Beware of Somtawin school. Not paying salary

Post by zeitgeist »

Which Somtawin? There is 2 in Hua Hin.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

All teachers that teach at the average school here in Thailand should wake up to the fact that a "contract" is simply something that protects the school and is something they are required to produce at the Ministry of Labour so that you can be granted a work permit. Really, it isn't worth the paper it's written on.

There are some decent schools here but they are far out-numbered by those that operate as they see fit regardless of the personal cost to employees. Directors of schools pretty much operated with impunity and run their schools as a personal fiefdom.

Unfortunately, our idea of fair play or expectations on this subject here in LoS is - in reality - nonesensical. Sadly, this tale of salary woe is far from uncommon and they also do it to the Thai teachers as well.

As for complaining, the place to do it is at the Ministry of Labour office, but as to whether they will do anything.........well, I don't know and I wouldn't get your hopes up.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Scotian2012
Professional
Professional

Post by Scotian2012 »

Somtawin has truly gone to the dogs. I see from the latest PTC document that things are going from bad to worse to awful, with total disregard from the school director.

Glad I finally managed to find another option for my daughter and removed her.
rempejek
Novice
Novice

Post by rempejek »

Common practice these days, schools who not pay teacher salaries. Or they give it to the agent who then not pay the teachers.
If as a result of this the teacher leaves then everybody gets upset?! The attitude of not paying people (Thais and foreigners) after doing work is rampant here in Thailand. There is an interesting story on meebal website about a massive education scam in Bangkok.

meebal dot com/foreign-teacher-scam-thailand/
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Terry & Carmen - care to comment?
VeniceBeach

Post by VeniceBeach »

Scotian2012 wrote:Somtawin has truly gone to the dogs. I see from the latest PTC document that things are going from bad to worse to awful, with total disregard from the school director.

Glad I finally managed to find another option for my daughter and removed her.
And what is the other option, if it is allowed to ask?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Strange how old threads get picked up again?
Talk is cheap