Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Re: Local Thais have no interest in learning English

Post by alleykat »

HHTel wrote:
Somchai, Nanyang was only correcting your English, but you didn't get it, did you?
No, you're the one who didn't get it HHTel. Somchai has since pointed out
that his parents are still not happy at their school's choice of Latin as a second language."They continue to be displeased".
Last edited by alleykat on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Somchai Turdsak

Post by Somchai Turdsak »

HHTel wrote:Somchai, Nanyang was only correcting your English, but you didn't get it, did you?
Correcting my English? Shall we have a look?
I said:
They're not pleased at their school's choice of second-language study.
Meaning they are not pleased -- they continue to be displeased. The school's decision in the 50s continues to displease them.
Nanyang said:
They were not pleased with their school's choice of a second language?
Meaning in the past they were not pleased -- they were not pleased at the time.

The distinction is precise. He didn't correct my perfect sentence, he changed it -- and muffed his condescending attempt at discrediting my opinion. I still consider us friends. :wink:
Grim Reaper
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Grim Reaper »

We are not interested in this 'I said, he said' rubbish. If you need to discuss further, use PMs. Irrellevant posts will be deleted immediately if you persist using the open forum.
You reap what you sow
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Okay, okay. Point taken. Just sounded strange to apply the present tense regarding something that happened in the past. I think you would find in spoken English, the past tense would be used although I do see your point.
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks, bapak. Regardless of anything else, it put a big smile on my face - especially the end! Cute kid. :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Seems like I (we) have heard this before. The opening statement of every new Education Minister... "The newly-appointed Education Minister has said the Thai education system needs a major revamp to enable Thai kids to compete with children in other countries as Asean Community is approaching in less than 3 years’ time".
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The education system has a long way to go. That said, one needs to understand where the person is being educated to understand the level of knowledge being imparted.

Years ago, I was looking for a place for my son to go to kindergarten. Found a place where they taught basic hygiene and had a proper program of activities (including some basic English) to keep the kids interested. It did not come cheap, but he did look forward to going there every morning.
The maid had a son of similar age. We brought her around looking for cheaper (as in free if possible) options. She finally sent him off to the temple kindergarten. After two years he was just about able to button up his shirt...

Was asked by a colleague at work if I'd think about sending him off to Singapore, as one of her relatives was there. Years ago, maybe. But after sitting through a presentation by a top Singapore mission school, one could be mistaken for assuming that Singlish' was the only language being taught. Note that Singapore threw out all the foreign teachers years ago, so they now have 'only' local teaching talent.
So Thailand still does have some allure, and I can get him a better education here than there for about the same amount of expenditure.

Local schools? You (don't) get what you (don't) pay for. Perhaps this was the thing being hinted at by the new Minister, an overhaul of the free education system? Long overdue. Haven't heard anything about the free tablets since this rice thing started either.
วินเชนท์
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

the younger, wealthier thais are realizing the value of english and further education. I was at the paragon shopping centre(bangkok) a few weeks back,and theres a whole floor dedicated to further education for children,everything from music lessons,to languages and tutors for other subjects as well.
My childs new kindergarten(english spoken lessons) had 2 new thai children(parents both thai) start today,so its coming.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

One more barrier being erected to keep the poor in their place. Teach children from wealthy homes English but no effort in govt schools.
One story, two guys living in a small town in the north decided to offer their services to the local primary school. They did it correctly and took an on-line course on how to teach English. The program has been a great success and has been hailed as a good model. One amusing thing--the two guys have distinct north of england accents!!!
Korkenzieher
Guru
Guru

Post by Korkenzieher »

I think I have commented on this before, but I met a Chinese teacher in Ranong a couple of years back. China sends (and pays 50% of the salary for) between 1000 and 1500 teachers to Thailand every year because it sees a benefit to having Thais learn Mandarin. Clearly, if Thais are going to get something for nothing, then it is going to appeal more. European nations, and the UK in particular, are not likely to make that kind of investment. As it is, within Thailand, most Thais only see English as a means to deal with tourists, and as a percentage of the tourist market, Europeans are rapidly being replaced with Asians. The Thais could be forgiven for thinking that the need for English *In Thailand* is shrinking.

That said, ASEAN will almost certainly be a losing proposition for Thailand. As the borders and protections come down, the more numerous Burmese islands and temples will be more attractive to the tourist sector; the industrial sector will seek better infrastructure, skilled cheaper labour, and a land border to China in Vietnam. Thailand's economy in the future looks likely to be squeezed. IMHO, if their xenophobia results in anything, it will be to cause their increasing impoverishment over the next century or so.
Had enough of the trolls. Going to sleep. I may be some time....
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

I have heard 2 interesting sub-plots about AEC
1 It is the local Chinese in S'pore, Malaysia, Thai and VN who have always done business with each other and want it to be formalised and put them even more in the driving seat.
2. That is true and it is because they realize more than non-Chinese that that is the best defense to China taking over SE Asia with the new economy based colonialism.

Either way--Thais would be well advised to have their children fluent in either Chinese or English.
Dr Mike
Guru
Guru

Post by Dr Mike »

TO continue. A doctor friend of mine (Thai-Chinese) who sent his older son to school and university in the UK is sending his younger son to school in S'pore where he will improve both his English and Mandarin. I hear that there is another trend in Hi-So families of employing filippino nannies rather than local women to care for the children as these maids speak English to the children.
johnnyk
Legend
Legend

Post by johnnyk »

Dr Mike wrote:TO continue. A doctor friend of mine (Thai-Chinese) who sent his older son to school and university in the UK is sending his younger son to school in S'pore where he will improve both his English and Mandarin. I hear that there is another trend in Hi-So families of employing filippino nannies rather than local women to care for the children as these maids speak English to the children.
Not to mention filipina nannies can be exploited to the max backed by threats to have them kicked out and worse. Canadians often do this so you can safely bet hi-so Thais will.
Happiness can't buy money
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Good points Dr Mike. China has been using "economy based colonialism" for centuries. Although this book is not very scholarly, it does provide a chatty and mostly interesting history of this:

Lords of the Rim by Sterling Seagrave