End of Term Tests. Understanding the Grades

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

End of Term Tests. Understanding the Grades

Post by MrPlum »

Well, the school term and tests recently ended and my Thai 'daughter' received an average of 2.51 at Somtawin, with a 4 for English. Since 5 is the maximum, her average seems very poor. She isn't academic... until you hand her an Iphone and suddenly she's as bright as a button... and I now have visions of her being the worst student in the class and ripe for being kicked out of the school.

Does anyone know how likely this prospect is and is 2.51 as bad as I think? She says other students were worse.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: End of Term Tests. Understanding the Grades

Post by Dannie Boy »

MrPlum wrote:Well, the school term and tests recently ended and my Thai 'daughter' received an average of 2.51 at Somtawin, with a 4 for English. Since 5 is the maximum, her average seems very poor. She isn't academic... until you hand her an Iphone and suddenly she's as bright as a button... and I now have visions of her being the worst student in the class and ripe for being kicked out of the school.

Does anyone know how likely this prospect is and is 2.51 as bad as I think? She says other students were worse.
Why don't you ask the school how she compares within her peer group?
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Hi Mr.Plum,

In Thailand school, the grades are as Follows:

1 = Poor ( Need to keep on eyes)
2 = Low (need to improve)
3 = Good
4 = Excellent

As in my opinion, your Thai daughter's grade was 2.51, she is about the average, but anyhow she has to improve herself, or at least keep 2.50 of grade in every semester. It seems that most of the high school in Thailand, they will accept the student who has at least 2.50, but shouldn't lower than this as she may have a problem to get through the higher years.

Anyhow, what grade is she? Is she in international school?

Be happy :)
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Is that the Thai Somtawin or the English Somtawin?

The English Somtawin on the Pa-La-U road maximum grade point average is 4 (given for scores between 80 to 100%). Other GPA above zero start at 50%, so a 2.51 average would be around 65% overall.
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Frank Hovis wrote:Is that the Thai Somtawin or the English Somtawin?

The English Somtawin on the Pa-La-U road maximum grade point average is 4 (given for scores between 80 to 100%). Other GPA above zero start at 50%, so a 2.51 average would be around 65% overall.
Alright, then my comment is Thai Somtawin. That's why I asked him if his daughter is in International School.

:cheers:
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Sorry Pacman, I was replying to Mr Plums original post, not your response. I wasn't correcting you or anything.
Pacman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Pacman »

Sorry to quote to your post, my intention was to support your comment, ,by the way I do agree to your comment.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I wouldn't worry about that too much, Mr. Plum. When I was teaching in Bangkok (college, grades 10-12 and university diploma level) there were many students who didn´t even pass the exams but with the miracle called money always passed to the next grade and eventually most of them seem to have finished university and now hold decent jobs. It's sad (or is it) but in Thailand what you really know or are able to do, doesn't really matter that much. If her English is good and in the future she will have gone through the educational system up to university level, she will find a decent job in Thailand.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Mr. Plum,

4 is the highest grade, not 5 as you suggested. That means she was excellent in English and with you as a father, it's expected.

A grade of 2.51 is in the average section. I have two daughters. One is always well above 3 but the youngest is like your daughter, grades around 2.5. Anything higher than a 2 is a pass. Don't worry about it. I'm sure she is doing her best. My youngest daughter is never going to be a lawyer or docter etc. but she's good at other things. Crafts, dance and so on. Currently she does a lot of Thai dancing (Lam Thai) and is earning good money at the weekends dancing at the floating market, weddings, special events etc. She is 12! I don't worry about her.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Bamboo Grove wrote:I wouldn't worry about that too much, Mr. Plum. When I was teaching in Bangkok (college, grades 10-12 and university diploma level) there were many students who didn´t even pass the exams but with the miracle called money always passed to the next grade and eventually most of them seem to have finished university and now hold decent jobs. It's sad (or is it) but in Thailand what you really know or are able to do, doesn't really matter that much. If her English is good and in the future she will have gone through the educational system up to university level, she will find a decent job in Thailand.
This has to be the response so far, and in my experience I would agree 100%. Your child will not be booted out or even kept back a year, that just doesn't happen in Thailand. The onus is on you and your child to improve the grades if you want your child to be well educated. Being well educated to a Thai standard should not be confused with well educated to most western standard.
The school will do little if anything to help students improve.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

Sorry. She is at Salesian, not Somtawin and confirms 4 is the highest grade. I was misinformed.

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My two daughters are at Salesian also. The one time that grades are important is at the M4 stage. They will insist on grades above 3 (I think). That is taken as anaverage over the last 3 years (M1,M2,M3). If they don't achieve that then they're booted out to find another school. I think this is disgraceful but that is the school's rules, legal or illegal. My eldest daugter is in M4 but I don't think my younger daughter (M1) will make it. Do I care? Not at all. If that's the school's attitude, then she's probably better finishing her education at another school.