New International School

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
doggie

new international school

Post by doggie »

ages vice my kids are 11 and 14 ....

thhose the school goes up to level 12 apprx 16 years old ???

so the kids can continue on university ????

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
LIGHT TRAVELS FASTER THAN SOUND. THAT IS WHY SOME PEOPLE APPEAR BRIGHT UNTIL YOU HEAR THEM SPEAK.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper.
The closer it gets to the end,
the faster it goes.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

I'm no expert on this, but if you'd like your children to go to a European university then they need to study in a school that follows the UK curriculum (GCSE's and A Levels) or International Baccalaureate (IB). The Thai school system (with an English programme) only equips them for Thai universities. To get into a Thai university they need to do a general entrance exam which, I think, is a series of multiple choice questions.

The alternative is to study at somewhere like Webster University (who have a link with Webster in St. Louis, USA) or another university with European links. They can then study for a year or two here in Thailand and then transfer to the 'sister university', wherever that may be.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
Jocamo
Novice
Novice

Post by Jocamo »

I have a few years before I have to worry about this as my child is not due until January.

But, can anyone tell me if International schools which follow a UK curriculum in Bangkok (or anywhere else) will accept pupils who have attended Somtawin or Yamsaard in Primary school stages?

Perhaps HH will have an international school by then!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Jocamo wrote:I have a few years before I have to worry about this as my child is not due until January.
But, can anyone tell me if International schools which follow a UK curriculum in Bangkok (or anywhere else) will accept pupils who have attended Somtawin or Yamsaard in Primary school stages?
Perhaps HH will have an international school by then!
Have a look here:

http://www.thailandguru.com/internation ... ngkok.html

It is not all of them, but will give you some idea.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Yamsaard

Post by MrPlum »

Can certainly echo the plaudits for Yamsaard, although the homework burden on ME is excessive.

My Thai youngster could not speak a word of English 6 months ago and was being given work for fluent speakers when she didn't even know the alphabet. So a lot of effort has been needed to get her up to speed. The school didn't seem to mind, although we were concerned they would invite her to leave.

I can only praise the teachers and the atmosphere at the school which is excellent. The children all seem well behaved with only one or two boys being fuelled by soda power. A few doses of Ritalin should bring them to heel.

Downside? The road is poor, the snack bar is sugar-coated profit and a black mark in my book and the English materials come from America so you get the SAD (Standard American Diet) indoctrination early on. Stories with hot dogs, sodas, ice cream, Disney characters. Can't wait to see the 'Spot The Terrorist' jigsaw puzzles.

The children definitely seem to be pushed academically. The foreign teachers are approachable and seem capable. They have little leeway for progressive ideas. There's no time for the children to think IMO. Just to take in information with lots of testing. Too much pressure for such young minds.

Did note a high turnover of Thai staff this year. Perhaps they are also pushed a little too hard?

Nice pool, playground, toilets and inside Gym. I like the security system and the minivan school transport and they even provide a Bangkok Post to read while you wait for your child to exit.

Daughter is progressing rapidly. Based on what I've heard about other schools, it's the best school in Hua Hin.

There are extras like homework study, music, food, swimming classes and drama.

All for a price.
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms