Educational PC software for kids

Discussion on schools, colleges, universities, educational facilities, teaching, and learning resources for adults and children.
buksida

Educational PC software for kids

Post by buksida »

We have a spare computer that the little fella likes to fiddle around with, and while this can be educational I don't want him playing the games too much at his age.

Can anyone recommend some software or educational programs for English and general fun learning stuff for a 3 year old?

Its either that or he'll be a master at Tiger Woods 2007 by the time he is 5 and a legend at Call Of Duty 4 at 7!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If you go to the CBeebies site, a lot of the games there can be considered educational (found them after my disaster with games disk purchased and returned in Hua Hin last month).

I believe (not tried) that a lot of the games on the Disney site are also deemed to be educational.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Re: Educational PC software for kids

Post by MrPlum »

The problem I found with Windoze was the ease with which children can stuff it. Using online games is okay except they get click happy which the corporates love and and install crap accordingly.

I now use Linux Mint 5 (great new dist) and set it up with my 6 yr old's user login and used Mint's software portal to download and install the educational package GCompris. Works very well. GCompris logs your child's progress, so you can see whether they are actually learning anything. If you want to overdose also checkout Childsplay.

You can download and burn a Live CD which allows you to try Linux before doing a full install. Found all my hardware first time out.

FWIW
"Let no one who has the slightest desire to live in peace and quietness be tempted, under any circumstances, to enter upon the chivalrous task of trying to correct a popular error."---William Thoms
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

I've just started littl'un on kids games (educational) on the internet. 2 sites we use (I sit with him while he's playing them) are http://www.uptoten.com/kids/kidsgames-home.html

and

http://resources.kaboose.com/games/read1.html

The first is geared from 6-10 year olds, but some of the games are easy enough for a younger child, if an adult or older child is there to explain. The second has a preschool section which might be suitable.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
buksida

Post by buksida »

MrPlum wrote:The problem I found with Windoze was the ease with which children can stuff it. Using online games is okay except they get click happy which the corporates love and and install crap accordingly.
Thats not a problem, I've been solving Windoze problems since 3.1 so am more than familiar with the OS - if anything kids are great for really screwing up stuff that the average Joe wouldn't do so its good training for my brain too!

Linux on the other hand is a completely new learning curve for me which I don't really have the time for.

So aside from the tech stuff you guys reckon there is plenty already online and no need to download or purchase any specific software packages?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
MrPlum
Banned
Banned

Post by MrPlum »

buksida wrote:
I've been solving Windoze problems since 3.1 so am more than familiar with the OS
Me too. But after several re-installs, I got tired of having to do it. Kids, as you say, will find a way to break it, although at 3 they need more supervision anyway.

For the record, it takes far less time to learn to navigate Linux than do even one Windows recovery. Linux Mint has a windows-like GUI with the same commands. Create a user (it's easy). Install only the games and leave the little one to explore.

If you are not persuaded, no problem. GCompris and Childsplay have Windows versions
http://www.educational-freeware.com/cat ... arten.aspx

:cheers:
SuperTonic
Suspended
Suspended

Post by SuperTonic »

GCompris is excellent. I've got a whole bunch of things so I'll try to put something on Rapidshare some time in the next week or two if I get 3 minutes to myself (yeah right!).
Libraries gave us power, then work came and made us [url=http://linux.com/]free[/url]. What price now for a shallow piece of dignity?
[url=http://www.ubuntu.com]sudo apt-get install linux[/url]
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Have a look at a free download-google sketch up 3d modeling and design, tool great for kids and adults. :D
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Ray123
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Ray123 »

search mininova or piratebay for "pc kids games" educational
the jumpstart series is good for them k1 to grade3 i think. they pick up super quick.

the worlds your oyster for educational games now for him. the torrent posters advise alcohol 120% or any mounter to leave 15-20 game images mounted all the time.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Tried that GCompris which is pretty good, has a few tools for basic computer familiarisation also - however he can get that from playing Quake 4!

The rest of the stuff on the torrent sites seem to be trojans or Americanised junk (not sure which is worse).